cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing default speaker sound levels and settings on G75VW

john_from_ohio
Level 11
After looking around some and then making some changes I now think my speakers sound pretty good on new G75VW.

This is what I did:
1) control panel => Sound ... on playback tab select Speakers then click Properties on bottom

2) On Levels tab I moved the setting for MonoBass down to 50 ( think default was up there higher ). You can move it up or down as needed depending on kind of music.

3) On enhancements tab:
I clicked Enable 2.1 Channel and also Enable Sound Equalizer. When you are on line ( grayed ) for Enable Sound Equalizer ) you can click on More Settings near bottom to pick a preset equalizer or adjust it custom.

Asus maybe you should do a little video thing or some shots showing people how to adjust/customize?

When MonoBass level is high yes it seems to come from left side way too much. Most sub woofers probably cut off frequencies at a higher level than perhaps this setup does? ( My sub in my car cuts off at 120 I think ... it has a dial ... might even be set to 90 ? ).
15 REPLIES 15

Cecil_2099
Level 11
Thanks for posting this. That helped a lot I think (at least from the tests).

You can also make the edits from the VIA HD Audio Deck:

Open the program, click the button to Enable Expert Mode at the bottom left, set the master volume slider to whatever you find comfortable and reduce the volume of "LFE" to a fraction of it (that's the subwoofer's control).

Whether you enable or leave disabled the equalizer that's up to your personal preference, but reducing the volume on the LFE should help a lot.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

This has to be a VIA driver issue of sorts. I fussed with the audio for a good amount of time last night and got different results. The LFE controls seems to need an extra step to get the sub woofer to vary in it's pitch.

Just using this control by itself, as well as the MonoBass outside the VIA HD software I couldn't get the damn thing to vary in range. The woofer was either at a fixed setting which was pretty loud or off. There was no happy medium. I tried various combinations with the enhanced settings, and it was hit and miss.

What I was able to reproduce was within the VIA HD software, changing the LFE settings on the sub woofer then changing the Hz rating for the audio after. Somehow that seemed to kick the woofer in the butt and adjust it's pitch finally. The problem I have with this is that it's not changing pitch when using the LFE slider as it should. I have to go to a different menu and bounce the audio Hz settings to make the slider take the pitch affect I'm trying to get.

So there is a LOT of fussing around to get the sound quality somewhere in the ballpark of being acceptable. Also note that if you set the audio to headphones, it will use the sub woofer as a speaker.

~ TD

tech_droid wrote:
This has to be a VIA driver issue of sorts. I fussed with the audio for a good amount of time last night and got different results. The LFE controls seems to need an extra step to get the sub woofer to vary in it's pitch.

Doing some further testing on my own ... I found that the MonoBass level seems to remain fixed at whatever level it is set at and stays the same ( for me ) regardless of how loud you change the sound level.

It sounds pretty good set ( MonoBass ) at 70 or above when the speaker volume is relatively loud but when you turn the volume down low it stays at the same level and all ( or most ) of the sound starts coming out of the bottom.

Shouldn't it be relative? If you set MonoBass to 70 it should be like 70 percent relative to the overall volume and as volume goes down it should be just at 70 percent of the ( current volume setting ) not at 70 level absolute?

On my system the Via HD Audio Deck ( control pane listing ) does not run at all ... it starts then never comes back ... after upgrading to latest driver from asus support forum for G75VW.

At the moment ... my workaround ( rarely use the speakers anyway ) is set MonoBass all the way down and then only set the level when I want to use the bottom speaker.

Come on asus and Via you can do better than this!!!

Rolled back to the previous ( in box delivered ) via driver ... then the Via HD Audio Deck control panel item now works ... latest driver from asus support for G75VW made that part not work.

Using either the LFE way ( thru Via HD Audio Deck ) or from sounds ( control panel ) and adjust properties of the MonoBass that way still seems to set an absolute level for the MonoBass.

If you have MonoBass level set at all then at low sound levels the sound comes primarily from the MonoBass ( bottom speaker ).

If it is possible to configure the cutoff frequency for the MonoBass ( above that frequency only other speakers would play that part of the music ) then I have not been able to figure it out.

Have you tried downloading the drivers directly from VIA yet? I'm going to give that a try when I get home from work tonight.

~TD

tech_droid wrote:
Have you tried downloading the drivers directly from VIA yet? I'm going to give that a try when I get home from work tonight.

Could not find them ... if you do please give some hints!

As of right now the ( newer ) 6.0.1.10400 driver that WAS on aus support page for G75VW is gone ... just 10200 ( the base one ) is there currently.

You might have to refresh the page a few times, as it seems like their server is probably a low-end server or bandwidth is not large enough to handle very many requests to the download page. Eventually I get a page with multiple drop down lists when it's properly loaded here at work....could be a proxy thing on my end:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

You'd need to verify what model is installed via hardware manager, as I don't know which version to choose in the final drop down menu. I'll have time to check this when I get home later tonight.

Edit Note: Your right about the driver on ASUS's site, there were two posted up there last night. This hopefully is an indication that they are aware of this problem and are looking into the situation.

~TD

It seems an early review in late April of the machine pointed out this exact issue, link here (http://www.listlaptop.com/review-asus-g75v-notebook/4711) but relevant text copied below:

Speakers

After a long time spent trying to configure the speakers of the test model, we came to the conclusion that our sound system had a few bugs. We contacted Asus and they told us that it was probably due to the driver of our precursor model.

The subwoofer only works when we set the speakers to “2.1 channels” in “VIA HD Audio Deck” (advanced mode). Sadly, with this setting, the subwoofer delivered the bass and all the other tones as well. Result: playback heavily based on the left side.
In addition, the volume is quite high even with low settings. This issue could be somewhat corrected when we dropped the volume of the subwoofer (via “Audio Deck”). A little tuning made the sound output of the G75 really good but it could not reach the level of the Toshiba Qosmio X770 or the MSI GT70 (TOSHIBA PA-1181-02 adapters).

Asus should check the audio software of the laptop and remove any bugs. We will test the finished model again (when it is launched).

Even after I make changes in the Audio Deck gui I find that the problem reasserts itself. Hopefully it gets resolved soon 😃

I have the same adjustment problem, when I put the speakers level on 40 the monobass doesn't move to the same level, so I have to adjust both in everything!!!, what to do, plz advise!