cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD 7970 DirectCU2 will not work with DVI-D monitor

chythar
Level 7
Just joined the forum to see if anyone has any ideas on this issue. I'm pretty sure the card needs to be RMA'd, but I'm certainly open for ideas. Let's get this out of the way: I do know about the switch on the edge of the card, which disables a DisplayPort to allow the DVI port to be dual-link. The problem I am seeing happens no matter which way I flip the switch.

But first, my system specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T processor
Asus ROG Crosshair V motherboard
4 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws memory sticks
XFX Radeon HD 5970 video card
Windows 7 x64
2 Viewsonic VP 2030 20" DVI-I monitors
1 Dell 3007wfp 30" DVI-D monitor

The system above works perfectly, and the 5970 drives all three monitors without difficulty. The Dell 3007wfp is running at its full 2560x1600 resolution, so I know the DVI-D cable I'm using is also working correctly. I bought an Asus HD 7970 DCU2 from NewEgg for a nice upgrade, and that's when I had some trouble.

The 7970 will drive the Dell 3007wfp off of the DVI-I port correctly, though the resolution is obviously capped at 1280x800 since it's not a DVI-D port. The card will also drive both Viewsonics at the same time, one of which is using an AMD-approved DisplayPort adapter. The problem is when I hook the Dell up to the DVI-D port. No matter which way I flip the switch on top of the card, I get the following display when I power the system on:

I would guess the monitor thinks the output signal is dual-link but it's actually single-link. Weird, huh? This happens whether I have the Viewsonics hooked up or just the Dell on its own.

I have tried with no success:

Flipping the top switch to both positions (powering down first, of course)
Hook the Dell up to other ports (though this results in single-link mode)
Installed latest ASUS GPU Tweak utility and tried to update the BIOS - says there are none.
Installed AMD 12.4 video drivers

I can't think of anything else to try, so unless someone has an idea I'm going to RMA the card. I have until the 19th to RMA the card through NewEgg, so hopefully I'll get some ideas before then.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
Based on what you have said about the previous card I would RMA.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

AllGamer
Level 9
definitely a faulty card, you've already tried all the possible troubleshooting steps

just open a RMA ticket
i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, ASUS VG278H(3x27") & 3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(2x) 5760×1080*3D, OCZ ZX 1250W, OCZ 256GB Vertex4(2x), Seagate 3TB(6x), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600 & Z560 THX, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5, Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas, Saitek PZ35

stitch
Level 9
Definitely RMA.
Windows 11 Pro | ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6400 | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4070 TI

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be RMAing the card through NewEgg.

Got the new card from NewEgg, but i still have the same basic problem. I still see the double AMD BIOS logo just like in my first post and what appears to be the same pattern but the colors are some shade of blue and green like a bad plaid shirt. Either there's a manufacturing issue, NewEgg sent me a defective card instead of sending it to Asus (unlikely but possible), or there's some incompatibility between the card and my system. Not sure what to do except RMA through ASUS now.

AllGamer
Level 9
did you write down the old serial number and compared to the new RMAed card serial number?

have you tried hooking up another monitor to the card
i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, ASUS VG278H(3x27") & 3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(2x) 5760×1080*3D, OCZ ZX 1250W, OCZ 256GB Vertex4(2x), Seagate 3TB(6x), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600 & Z560 THX, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5, Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas, Saitek PZ35

Man, been pretty busy lately, but I'm back now.

I did not write down the serial number, but the box was different. The original one had some tiny tears around the side flaps from being opened & closed several times, and the new one did not have these tears. The box looked brand new and unopened. Too bad Asus didn't seal the boxes with tape. I have put the card in another computer with similar hardware, and got different yet similar results. This other system also had a Dell 3007wfp monitor. The BIOS screen came up correct, but every second or so the screen would flicker and show two BIOS screens like I saw at home. This continued as long as the system was powered on. I shut the computer down when I got to the Windows logon screen. When the screen flickered, I would see the top part of the screen duplicated on the bottom, along with a visible color grid; similar to the photo I attached earlier. It was an improvement, but not good enough.

The LEDs by the two power plugs on the card were both lit green on both systems, no flickers in the lights at all, so I presume that the card had sufficient power. Both systems had Rosewill 1000W power supplies.

I just installed ASUS 7970 DCII TOP as replacement for ASUS HD5850. I'm using 27" 2560x1440 DVI-D Display. The problem is that the Dual Link port gives randomly flickering green pixels all around the screen. I've googled about this and seems I'm not alone with this problem. I'm starting to think this is a defect on the card itself as ppl have RMA'd cards because of this just to get new one with similar problems. Card works just fine with my 2nd display HP ZR24w with display port connection so its just the dual link DVI which is broken. Any knows fix for this or should I just return the card and get something else? For those who were left wondering the switch is at DVI-D position 🙂

slaytus
Level 10
bad DVI cable? lol not sure man
-|[ Clear Case ]|-
-|[ ASUS R.O.G. Crosshair III Formula ]|-
-|[ AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHZ (stock fan) ]|-
-|[ Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 ]|-
-|[ ASUS Radeon HD 6950 DirectCU II 2GB (o.c. 870MHZ) ]|-
-|[ Corsair Pro Series HX1050 ]|-
-|[ Eyefinity 3x ASUS 21.5" LED 1080P (running at 5982X1080) ]|- ...Building

^With a medium Budget^
next in line: