cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G73S - Freezing issues

Warden50
Level 7
Hello,

I bought my Laptop in August 2011 (not so long ago) , it's an G73S and it worked perfectly on all my games so far. But about two months ago I started to have issues with game freezing (screen is blocked from 1 to 5s) on some games and even on desktop. I tried the tutorial on your forum about flashing BIOS but it did not helped. I also tried to reset my entier computer (windows fresh install + drivers only from ASUS Teck support) but still not working properly. The weird thing is that I put the settings to their maximum on games like Battlefield 3 , TERA or Guild Wars 2 without any freezing issues, but on "older" games like World of Warcraft , Lord of the Rings online or Dark age of Camelot it freezes every 5s. I checked the entier world (yes I did ! ) , I tried hundreds of solutions but still the same. This forum is my last chance otherwise I will have to bring it back and that would be very frustrating.

Does somebody can help me ?

Thank your in advance (and sorry for my poor english , this is not my mother tongue).

Sincerly yours ,
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
Have you run DPC Latency Checker?

What WiFi card do you have? What version WLAN driver are you running?

What make and model HDD(s) do you have?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I havnt run DPC Latency Checker.
My Wifi card is (I guess this is it) an Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter. About the WLAN I dont know how to get it.
My HDDs are both (got 2x500Go) : ST95005620AS from Seagate Technology LLC. (After a quick search on the web they are also called Momentus XT 7200). I already tried to update the Firmware of these HDDs but didnt worked either ^^.

dstrakele
Level 14
Go into Device Manager and expand "Network Adapters". Right-click on your Atheros Wireless Network Adapter and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. The "Drivers" tab will display the version of your Atheros driver.

Check out this thread: http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/ST95005620AS-very-laggy-in-games/m-p/1505...

What version firmware is currently installed on your HDD's?

First of all thank you very much for you time and your quick answers , well my driver version is 8.0.0.316 for my Wifi card. Dont know if it helps you.

dstrakele
Level 14
You want to upgrade to version 9.2.1.470 or later (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921470.zip). The earlier Atheros drivers have bad DPC Latency.

Allright I'll do it , do you want it my troubles might comes from it ? I'll make some tests with new Driver and keep you up. Thank you so far ^^

dstrakele
Level 14
DPC Latency can result in the brief freezing behavior in games you report. There may be other drivers contributing to DPC Latency, so it is a good idea to run DPC Latency Checker.

If you still experience this issue, the firmware version in your HDD's could be another possible cause.

Holy
Level 7
Gw2 kinda favors the cpu over the gpu. They need to optimize it for the gpu.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

Well I launched a Latency test this night and , indeed, I have huge spikes at some moments when I play. I tried to disable/enable many components but it didnt fixed the issue. However I read something similar on an other forum and I have copied games encountering these freeze issues on my second HDD (wich is also a Momentus XT) and it seems to work fine. Maybe the problem is more a hardware problem with my first HDD.

Anyways thank you all for your help and support.