Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about The 600 ohms setting on the Xonar Phoebus

MileHighSe7en
Level 7
Hello

Audio noob here with a question.

From the Asus provided software, in the Headphone gain settings theres a drop down with 3 choices. <64, 64-150, and 150-300 Ohms. Where are the settings for 600? Does 300 Ohms refer to each ear making it 300x2?

My Xonar Phoebus was delivered yesterday and installed last night. Im loving it so far. Great positional awareness. I'm hearing sounds in Battlefield (over 380 hours played) that I've never heard before! Music sounds great as well! I haven't played with all the setting but once I enabled the EQ this beast woke up!

I paired it with Beyerdynamic DT880's in 600 Ohm hence my initial question.

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

txfeinbergs
Level 7
I can't answer your question (in fact I want to know the answer as well now). Also, I would add onto your questions by asking what should you set this to if you don't know the Ohms of your headphones i.e. I use a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 15 headphones.

Also, if you don't mind answering, where did you order your Phoebus from that you got it so fast? Thanks.

txfeinbergs wrote:
I can't answer your question (in fact I want to know the answer as well now). Also, I would add onto your questions by asking what should you set this to if you don't know the Ohms of your headphones i.e. I use a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 15 headphones.

Also, if you don't mind answering, where did you order your Phoebus from that you got it so fast? Thanks.

I tried looking for your impedance info on amazon and Bose and they do not have it listed. Weird. One random site mentioned 73 Ohms but I'm not sure where they got that info from. You might find it in the manual/user guide/box. Sorry I couldn't help you with that...

I ordered mine from Antarespro.com. Chose the 2 day delivery option and....got it in 2 days! There are several sites that have them in stock. I made sure to call them to confirm that it was there and ready to ship and sure enough it was. Another site had them marked as in-stock ready to ship but when I called to confirm they said they werent getting them in till Jun 6. Lol. Glad I called.

Are you planning on getting it?

The Ohms setting is weird because it seems to cap at 300 Ohms. Hopefully someone can chime in.

txfeinbergs
Level 7
(by the way, you will be happy to know that the annoying as hell Recaptcha thingy will go away after you post about 5 ot 6 times).

Raja
Level 13
MileHighSe7en wrote:
Hello

Audio noob here with a question.

From the Asus provided software, in the Headphone gain settings theres a drop down with 3 choices. <64, 64-150, and 150-300 Ohms. Where are the settings for 600? Does 300 Ohms refer to each ear making it 300x2?

My Xonar Phoebus was delivered yesterday and installed last night. Im loving it so far. Great positional awareness. I'm hearing sounds in Battlefield (over 380 hours played) that I've never heard before! Music sounds great as well! I haven't played with all the setting but once I enabled the EQ this beast woke up!

I paired it with Beyerdynamic DT880's in 600 Ohm hence my initial question.

Thanks in advance!

This setting adjusts gain (not the output impedance of the opamps), a setting of "300" is ample for 600 ohm impedance phones. You should have more than enough volume range with the "300" setting.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
This setting adjusts gain (not the output impedance of the opamps), a setting of "300" is ample for 600 ohm impedance phones. You should have more than enough volume range with the "300" setting.

Ahhh perfect. Than you for responding!