cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues w/RAID Setups

Retired
Not applicable
Hello all - new here and very excited on my new builds / below are the base options that I have for 2 builds (each time I build, I duplicate (one for me, one for the wife)).

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 boots from Sony BDBurner / I go to the custom install options and the Intel RAID setup is listed as Drive 0 and the Marvell is listed as Drive 1 / I select the Marvell as the location to install Windows

The HDD LED blinks, goes solid, blinks and the Windows setup stays at "Copying Windows Files 0%" / it never gets any further

My goal was to have my OS/APPS/Games/etc. run on the Marvell RAID 0 and the Intel RAID 1 would only be used to hold my disk image backups (using Acronis True Image)

Here are my basic settings (hardware, BIOS and configuration) :

Basic Setup
CoolerMaster HAFX 942
CoolerMaster 1200 PSU
ASUS Rampage III Extreme / Intel 980X / Corsair Dominator (24GB)
EVGA Superlocked GTX 580 x 2 in SLI
WD Velociraptor 600GB x 2 (RAID 0 on Marvell)
WD 1.5TG x 2 (RAID 1 on Intel)

BIOS
Main / Storage Configuration / SATA as RAID
Advanced / Onboard Devices / SATA6B / AHCI Mode
Advanced / Onboard Devices / Onboard SATA / Enabled
Boot / HDD / Marvell RAID 0 as #1, Intel RAID 1 as #2
Boot / Boot Device Priority / CD-ROM as #1, IDE:Marvell RAID as #2

Intel RAID Settings (CTRL+I)
Create RAID
Volume 0
RAID 1
1397.GB Capacity

Marvell RAID Settings (CTRL+M)
Configuration Wizard
RAID 0
Stripe Size 64kb
GB Rounding 1G
Quick Init Yes
VDName Default

ASUS boots and recognizes everything / all RAID POST screens report normal, available, etc. / HDD LED on board blinks amber (should it be green?)

All help and recommendations is much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

KILLER_K
Level 10
The marvel you need a boot floppy to add the raid storage driver. After you run the first part of the setup you can hit "F8" to choose to boot from the marvel controller to start with also. But perhaps i am not understanding correctly what you are trying to do.

Copy the Marvell Raid Driver for SATA 6GB's to a USB key.

Boot the Windows 7 install, when it comes to the screen where you choose your HDD install too, click on load driver and load the driver on the USB key. Then install Windows 7.

Truth be told with your setup, none of your drives are listed as SATA 6GB's you will see no difference in performance on the 6GB controller. You may actually see a lower performance score when running through the Marvell controller, its a known issue.
Intel Core i7 5930K @ 4.8GHz, Asus Rampave V Extreme U3.1, Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz 32GB DDR4 ( 4x8GB ), Nvidia GeForce Titan-X SLI, Creative Labs E3 USB Soundcard, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVME, Corsair AXi 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard, Logitech Proteus Core Mouse, Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz, Sennheiser Gamer Zero, Windows 10 Professional

Retired
Not applicable
VeeGee wrote:
Hello all - new here and very excited on my new builds / below are the base options that I have for 2 builds (each time I build, I duplicate (one for me, one for the wife)).

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 boots from Sony BDBurner / I go to the custom install options and the Intel RAID setup is listed as Drive 0 and the Marvell is listed as Drive 1 / I select the Marvell as the location to install Windows

The HDD LED blinks, goes solid, blinks and the Windows setup stays at "Copying Windows Files 0%" / it never gets any further

My goal was to have my OS/APPS/Games/etc. run on the Marvell RAID 0 and the Intel RAID 1 would only be used to hold my disk image backups (using Acronis True Image)

Here are my basic settings (hardware, BIOS and configuration) :

Basic Setup
CoolerMaster HAFX 942
CoolerMaster 1200 PSU
ASUS Rampage III Extreme / Intel 980X / Corsair Dominator (24GB)
EVGA Superlocked GTX 580 x 2 in SLI
WD Velociraptor 600GB x 2 (RAID 0 on Marvell)
WD 1.5TG x 2 (RAID 1 on Intel)

BIOS
Main / Storage Configuration / SATA as RAID
Advanced / Onboard Devices / SATA6B / AHCI Mode
Advanced / Onboard Devices / Onboard SATA / Enabled
Boot / HDD / Marvell RAID 0 as #1, Intel RAID 1 as #2
Boot / Boot Device Priority / CD-ROM as #1, IDE:Marvell RAID as #2

Intel RAID Settings (CTRL+I)
Create RAID
Volume 0
RAID 1
1397.GB Capacity

Marvell RAID Settings (CTRL+M)
Configuration Wizard
RAID 0
Stripe Size 64kb
GB Rounding 1G
Quick Init Yes
VDName Default

ASUS boots and recognizes everything / all RAID POST screens report normal, available, etc. / HDD LED on board blinks amber (should it be green?)

All help and recommendations is much appreciated.

So did you manage to raid 0 your Raptors on the Marval Chip. Curious as i am, i have not been able to get a straight answer on google for this question. I have the same Raptors as you and would like to know if this can be achieved yet and is there a difference in performance. Cheers