Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 - audio system bugreport

bheam
Level 7
Hi,

There are 2 basic problems with the audio system, described as following:

1) When having external speakers/headset connected, and rebooting and/or resetting audio, the subwoofer plays audio still!
2) The main volume control doesn't affect subwoofer volume, until it's at 0! (It should always stay relative to other speakers value when in 2.1 mode)
2a) The main volume control DOES affect subwoofer volume in the case of #1.

So with this very specific bug report, when can we expect a fix?

Fix #1: Always disable subwoofer when external device connected
Fix #2: Make Subwoofer volume ALWAYS relative to treble speakers when in 2.1 mode (So lowering windows/master volume lowers all sound)

Best regards,

Michael
478 REPLIES 478

YayInternet
Level 7
I'm having the same issue bheam has described, and would like to add to it:

When I have headphones plugged in, the external speakers and subwoofer will cut out and switch to the headphones as expected. But, after a minute or so of no audio through the headphones, they will actually switch back to the subwoofer along with the headphones playing. I believe this is similar to bheam's issue with his/her external speakers, if not the same issue.

I've read on other threads that ASUS has had audio issues with the G74 series as well. A couple of users have found that uninstalling the ASUS audio drivers and reinstalling drivers downloaded from the audio manufacturer's website have corrected the problem. I haven't tried this yet, but any other confirmations are always welcome.

YayInternet wrote:
I'm having the same issue bheam has described, and would like to add to it:

When I have headphones plugged in, the external speakers and subwoofer will cut out and switch to the headphones as expected. But, after a minute or so of no audio through the headphones, they will actually switch back to the subwoofer along with the headphones playing. I believe this is similar to bheam's issue with his/her external speakers, if not the same issue.

I've read on other threads that ASUS has had audio issues with the G74 series as well. A couple of users have found that uninstalling the ASUS audio drivers and reinstalling drivers downloaded from the audio manufacturer's website have corrected the problem. I haven't tried this yet, but any other confirmations are always welcome.

Not the exact same problem because it was immediate, not delayed, but some of the G73 drivers also caused the audio not to switch. Updating to a newer version from the manufacturer fixed it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hi,

I just got my Asus G75 and discovered this problem. When I plug in headphones for the 1st time, it works like it should (speakers and subwoofer turn off, and all sounds goes to headphones). When I restart my computer (having the headphones already plugged in), the sounds comes through the headphones and the subwoofer, but not the speakers. Also, I believe it works like xeromist said in that the same problem will occur if no sound plays for a while after plugging in headphones. There was an update for the VIA High Definition Audio driver on the Asus website. I tried first to do the auto-update feature to no avail, so I downloaded and installed the updated driver directly from the website. After restarting my computer, it seemed that the update had actually made the problem worse because the subwoofer would not turn off regardless of whether I replugged the headphones in or not. After manually reverting the driver back to its original version, the problem was not fixed, and I am not sure why.

Currently, when I am using my headphones, I just mute the sound (function key + f10), and that "fixes" the problem. If I want to listen out of the speakers, I just unmute. This is not ideal, but it will have to work until the actual manufacturer or Asus comes out with a fix.

The main reason I shared this was to see if anyone tried the driver update.
The link to the update is: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#download
If anyone does find a real fix to the problem or if Asus/the manufacturer comes out with one, please reply to this post.
Also, I'm pretty sure this system only has Windows 7 64-bit, but that is what OS I have for information sake.

Thank you,
The Prichanator

I am having the exact same issue with the audio setup on the G75. It's the only real problem I have ran into on this machine. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

I made a thread about my headphone issue too, but just adding it here so we have a comprehensive list of all the issues. It's really annoying especially when I am listening to music somewhat loud, and all of a sudden the sounds comes out of the speakers/sub when I play a new mp3 every now and then. I might not even realize it too cuz I have the headphones on.

Hi,

i have got the same problem with the woofer Volume.

😞

X-ROG
Level 15
Thanks everyone, I have highlighted this thread to the product manager. I will let you know the outcome soon.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Thanks everyone, I have highlighted this thread to the product manager. I will let you know the outcome soon.

Dear Richard,
If I want to buy Asus G75VW frm Taiwan, would u suggest me what website to order or is worth to buy frm Taiwan or not ? .... Just asking.
Still Observing any thread rgrding this Asus G75VW ...

Cheers

Joejam701 wrote:
Dear Richard,
If I want to buy Asus G75VW frm Taiwan, would u suggest me what website to order or is worth to buy frm Taiwan or not ? .... Just asking.
Still Observing any thread rgrding this Asus G75VW ...

Cheers

Honestly I don't know. I get the wife or her brother to buy it here for me because I cannot read the webpages. 😄

Update:

Problem:
Plugging in headphones does not mute sub (some people fixed with 10400 update, some not)
Changing the volume does not change sub volume (some people fixed with 10400 update, some not)

Answer:
These should be fixed. If not, then it's a driver installation process error. You must remove everything VIA audio before updating to 10400. Please try again, making sure to reboot between them.

Problem:
Speakers are very quiet - uninstalling the VIA HD driver and using Windows standard ones boost the sound significantly.

Answer:
Do NOT use MS UAA drivers. They are not tuned for the speakers so the quality will be notably lower, plus, they boost the audio beyond the capacity of the speakers so it can cause them damage.

Finally: Subwoofer not doing LFE - currently under investigation.