cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new G74sx need help for clean install w7

Cainlcj
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I just got my G74sx today and i want to perform a clean install. This is my 1st time to do the clean install and i've no knowledge with process. Sorry for being a noob 😛

I came across a website for g74sx clean install guide.
http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/39-Asus-G74SX-Clean-Install-Guide credits:berryracer

I'm planning to do a clean install by following their guide but i'm not sure whether all the drivers provided by their website is the latest version or old version.

can someone help me to clarify it? is it a complete guide or did it miss out any important thing?

Thanks and very much appreciated for the help.;)

P/s: I'm not a native english speaker and hope you guys dont mind my broken english 😛

Edit: Opss, my mistake i only realised i posted in wrong section. How to move it to the other section??
50 REPLIES 50

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Hi, welcome to the forum. 🙂 (Your English is fine, by the way....)

That "guide" was written by a guy who actually used to try selling his "advice" here. Then he tried ginning up trafdfic for the website he was starting. He has a G73, so when he posted a G74 guide here and real owners quickly started correcting his many errors, he got angry and started flaming everybody around here. It's up to you, but I wouldn't rely on that source.

There are many threads around here that discuss clean installs, and many of us who are happy to help with your questions.

PS: I would recommend that you use the computer for a few days, before doing the clean install, to make sure that everything works.

antisocialbratt
Level 8
I'll recommend Brody's advice too. You should use it for all your work for about a week. IF there are some niggles in laptop they would show up. Do everything. Watch movies, play games, rip some dvd's, Convert some files. Just stress the system for a week.
Doing a clean install is a lengthy process. You don't want laptop to start acting up just when you have everything as you want.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your quick response 🙂

I'll take your advise and stress this system for few days. Btw, do you think i should remove all the 'bloatware'? i've read most of your great article that you recommended to remove it. Can i just remove all those bloatware without clean install?
So far all the keystroke is working fine.

Some simple question, how to disable the touchpad >.<" i've tried to press fn+f9 but it doesnt work 😞

Cainlcj wrote:
...Btw, do you think i should remove all the 'bloatware'?

Hi there. You may want to remove all bloatwares if you have no practical use for any of them,
or if they interfere or overlap with the Windows OS.
But not all bloatwares are useless. Meaning, their usefulness/uselessness depend on the user's preference.
For example, I use P4Gear Hybrid and AI charger (they're bloatwares).

Some simple question, how to disable the touchpad >.<" i've tried to press fn+f9 but it doesnt work 😞

Try updating the ATK Package to 1.0.0014 version. If you already got it currently, try re-installing it
or do a "repair" in Control Panel > Programs and Features.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

@antisocialbratt
Yeah i totally agree with you 🙂 300 bucks can invest on other gaming gear too hehe.

@PILGRIM
Nice to meet you 🙂 Yes, the P4G is really useful to switch the mode instantly. Do you mind to recommend me some other useful bloatware as well 🙂

As for the ATK Package. Do i need to uninstall the old driver 1st and then only re-install the latest version?

Cainlcj wrote:

@PILGRIM
Nice to meet you 🙂 Yes, the P4G is really useful to switch the mode instantly. Do you mind to recommend me some other useful bloatware as well 🙂

As for the ATK Package. Do i need to uninstall the old driver 1st and then only re-install the latest version?

A pleasure to meet you, too..

The two "bloatwares" I've mentioned are just what I need from the list, at the moment.
I'm aware that though the P4Gear Hybrid has been implicated on a few G74 issues, I don't see it on mine.
I use the AI USB Charger for re-charging my phone via the G74.

Yes, it would be best to un-install the older ATK Package version first. Also, it's worthwhile to have CCleaner
clean the registry remnants. Then, restart the computer, install the newer version (1.0.0014).
The latest version is actually the ATK Package 1.0.0015, but there were issues with it.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Thanks for your help:) i will get this done 1st and see how it goes.

I've updated ATK Package 1.0.0014 but still no luck to fix it 😞

Is it because of Bios version? I'm not sure what's my current BIOS version >.< mind to teach me on how to check the BIOS?

Cainlcj wrote:
I've updated ATK Package 1.0.0014 but still no luck to fix it 😞

Is it because of Bios version? I'm not sure what's my current BIOS version >.< mind to teach me on how to check the BIOS?

You can easily check the BIOS version in System information.

• Click the Windows Start button and type "system" in the search bar
  • Select "System Information" from the pop-up Start Menu
  • About halfway down the right side of the window, your BIOS version and date are listed
  • The current version is 203. If you need to update, I can send some instructions.

Look in Device Manager (under Mouse and other pointing devices) to see what brand of touchpad you have.....it should be either Sentelic or Synaptics. If it's Synaptics, a driver update may help.