cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rig, a constant work in progress

ganji
Level 13
Ello folks,
as a couple of peeps have mentioned it i thought its about time i posted some pics of my rig. its not anything special but i have learned a lot while building it. i had never had or used a pc b4 2 years ago 😞 so i payed a shop £850 to build me a pc which had these specs,
coolermaster elite 335
ezcool 100w infinity psu
asus M4N68T M LE V2
Athlon II x4 640 3.0GHz
xfx 6850 dual fan
2x4GB xms3 1600c9

obviously i wasnt too happy with it but it did for the time being. 3months later i decided to start upgrading a bit at a time.
since then ive rebuilt 3 times in 3 different case, basically everything has been changed 3 times lol even my perifials and the only original part is the a ram but that is gonna be gone in a couple of days 😄
so this is where im at now. Remember noob when it comes to pc's.Image

Edit: i did upload 7 pics but only one come through. i'll go check the forum faq for how to get the others done
40 REPLIES 40

ganji
Level 13
my whole setupImage

i couldnt get the pics to upload so heres a link to an album on photobucket for those intrested 😄
thanks
http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb445/ganjiry1/my%20rig/

ganji wrote:
my whole setup

i couldnt get the pics to upload so heres a link to an album on photobucket for those intrested 😄
thanks
http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb445/ganjiry1/my%20rig/

I noticed you memory are not shafted in the red slots...the motherboard guide says it is better to use the red slots for overclocking purposes.

Another aspect is that I like to place my legs under my desk. How do you play in your desk?

Regarding your chair...actually I while back I thought about opening a thread regarding types of chairs we use.
I personally love to have my back straight up...just my preference. I don't think that chair of yours would be comfortable for my tastes...but looks good. How much is it going for?

GOR52 wrote:
I noticed you memory are not shafted in the red slots...the motherboard guide says it is better to use the red slots for overclocking purposes.

Another aspect is that I like to place my legs under my desk. How do you play in your desk?

Regarding your chair...actually I while back I thought about opening a thread regarding types of chairs we use.
I personally love to have my back straight up...just my preference. I don't think that chair of yours would be comfortable for my tastes...but looks good. How much is it going for?

Ello GOR52
Sorry i dont know how i missed your questions.
as for my ram in the black slots. its not for any reason really and i know they should be in the others. just when ii removed the other 8gb i left those in place so i didnt get the 2 kits mixed up as one kit was being rma'd. i then forgot about them being there. i had'nt even noticed when i took the pics :rolleyes: smokin too muchh lol. ive just bought some corsair vengence so will be swapping them out. i will be putting it right then. thanks

now my chair is a bit of a long story but i'll cut it short 😄 i have a few health problems one of which is deep vien thrombosis in my legs. so i have to keep my legs raised otherwise they swell up. so when it came to me wanting to start pc gaming i was stumped at how i could do this with a normal pc desk and found it wouldn't work really. so i looked for a chiar that would be cumfortable but let me sit bk enough to raise my legs. i thought about getting a reclyner but then was stuck with where to put my pc lol as my legs would be in the way. so i then found the gaming chair 😄 but then i needed a desk low enough to have my monitors at a decent hight. a coffee table was the only type of desk low enough for me to use this chair. i just put a small table for my legs with a pillow and have my keyboard on my lap. i use my left screen for gaming which is turned towards me. its really cumfy for gaming but thats it really. during the day i just lean forwardand use my keyboard on the table but when lookin at the second screen i get neck ache. i keep nodding off in the chair though. the one i have has a curved bottom so it will lay back like a rocking chair. it also has a 2.1 speakers in it, a sub in the back and 2 speakers either side of my head but i dont use them for 2 reasons, 1 is they sound echoey and2 i use my surround speakers.
this will give u some info on it. if the link is not allowed im sorry and will remove it if need be. http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/gaming-chairs/x-rocker-hurricane-pulse-gaming-chair-2012-edition/?utm_sou...
i use a little rubber block to stop it tipping back to far. u can sit upright'ish or lay back as much as u want.
as i get neck ache with this setup im thinking of just making a new desk off the wall so i can have it a bit higher and my legs underneath so i have'nt got to turn my head to see the second screen. ive had this chair about 2 years now and the seat part has sunk so i have to put a pillow there too otherwise the sides dig into me. however i do like the chair so checked on the other ones the company make and found the advanced edition which is more padded, leather and has a base. this one i think you will like as it is more upright http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/gaming-chairs/product/x-rocker-pro-advanced-2012-with-stand-gaming-chair/ with the pedestal its about 20inch higher i think.

Hope this helps 😄 and sorry for makin it so long. so much for cutting a long story short aye

ganji wrote:
Ello GOR52
Sorry i dont know how i missed your questions.
as for my ram in the black slots. its not for any reason really and i know they should be in the others. just when ii removed the other 8gb i left those in place so i didnt get the 2 kits mixed up as one kit was being rma'd. i then forgot about them being there. i had'nt even noticed when i took the pics :rolleyes: smokin too muchh lol. ive just bought some corsair vengence so will be swapping them out. i will be putting it right then. thanks

now my chair is a bit of a long story but i'll cut it short 😄 i have a few health problems one of which is deep vien thrombosis in my legs. so i have to keep my legs raised otherwise they swell up. so when it came to me wanting to start pc gaming i was stumped at how i could do this with a normal pc desk and found it wouldn't work really. so i looked for a chiar that would be cumfortable but let me sit bk enough to raise my legs. i thought about getting a reclyner but then was stuck with where to put my pc lol as my legs would be in the way. so i then found the gaming chair 😄 but then i needed a desk low enough to have my monitors at a decent hight. a coffee table was the only type of desk low enough for me to use this chair. i just put a small table for my legs with a pillow and have my keyboard on my lap. i use my left screen for gaming which is turned towards me. its really cumfy for gaming but thats it really. during the day i just lean forwardand use my keyboard on the table but when lookin at the second screen i get neck ache. i keep nodding off in the chair though. the one i have has a curved bottom so it will lay back like a rocking chair. it also has a 2.1 speakers in it, a sub in the back and 2 speakers either side of my head but i dont use them for 2 reasons, 1 is they sound echoey and2 i use my surround speakers.
this will give u some info on it. if the link is not allowed im sorry and will remove it if need be. http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/gaming-chairs/x-rocker-hurricane-pulse-gaming-chair-2012-edition/?utm_sou...
i use a little rubber block to stop it tipping back to far. u can sit upright'ish or lay back as much as u want.
as i get neck ache with this setup im thinking of just making a new desk off the wall so i can have it a bit higher and my legs underneath so i have'nt got to turn my head to see the second screen. ive had this chair about 2 years now and the seat part has sunk so i have to put a pillow there too otherwise the sides dig into me. however i do like the chair so checked on the other ones the company make and found the advanced edition which is more padded, leather and has a base. this one i think you will like as it is more upright http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/gaming-chairs/product/x-rocker-pro-advanced-2012-with-stand-gaming-chair/ with the pedestal its about 20inch higher i think.

Hope this helps 😄 and sorry for makin it so long. so much for cutting a long story short aye

Thanks for the reply and for the links.
I'm sorry to hear about your health problems.
Smoking too much...probably weak stuff...I can send you some proper medicine...Durban poison? 😛

GOR52 wrote:
Thanks for the reply and for the links.
I'm sorry to hear about your health problems.
Smoking too much...probably weak stuff...I can send you some proper medicine...Durban poison? 😛

no worries lol. soldier on enit 😉
yeah it isnt as nice in the uk as other countries but we do get some niceness. As for Durban hmmm 😄 id love to get my hands on some lol but no hope in this country. 😞

Zka17
Level 16
Hi, ganji,

I was one of those who suggested you to post your system's pics here... 😄 I had a good reason for that juggestion, since you posted something in your previous thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15045-which-fans-work-well-on-H100/page2) which attracted my attention - just it wasn't related to that subject. So, hope you don't mind... 😄

You wrote (post #15 in the above linked thread):
"i recently turned the fans round on my H50 to intake just to see the difference in temps.
with push/pull intake = idle 36/38c, load(intel burn test) 49/52c
push pull exhaust idle 34/36c load(IBT) 45/48c"

The thing which is interesting to me is that outside the case is always lower temperature then inside (max, in optimal conditions is the same). Then turning the H50's to intake (and allowing to suck cooler or the same temp air from outside), how you got higher temps?!

I think the answer is hiding in the overall airflow in your case... If you're setting up the front and bottom fans as intakes and having the top and rear (on the rad) ones as exhausts, then you have a pretty equilibrated, maybe slightly negative pressurized case. Not sure, if you have the version of Corsair 500R with the side fan, and if that side fan is intaking or exhausting... If it is an exhaust, then you definitely have a negatively pressurized case. Inversely, if it is an exhaust, perhaps will be a positively pressurized case. Both of them could be OK, that's not a problem!

What I'm thinking is that, when you turned the H50's radiator fans as intakes, you may off-balanced the overall airflow. As i said, otherwise is not possible (at least I can not imagine) to get higher temps... Maybe, turning them as intakes, there were much more intakes overall then exhausts. In that situation, the efficiency of the radiator's fans would decrease dramatically - imagine, they have to work not only against the restriction caused by the fin density, but against the highest pressure too.

So, my point is that you have to be careful with the airflow when setting up radiators (doesn't matter if the H50 or H100). :cool:

chrsplmr
Level 18
Awesome Ganji .. and perfect static barrier under the case. hehe
Very nice.thnx.c.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Very Nice Ganji, and I like your Desk there! If only I didn't have so much equipment it would be nice to go smaller than what I have.

ganji
Level 13
Cheers folks 😄
now to answer Zka17 i have my fans setup as follows,
front 2 x120 intake
bottom 120 intake
side 200 intake
h50 intake
top 2x120 exhaust
hoping to create a positive air flow.
the temp difference was only a couple of degree's c so could just be down to ambient temps i dont know. the plan was always to turn it bkround though as it will get less dust then too. i also forgot to add that at the same time i turned the fans on the h50 round i also added the bottom 120 too 😛
when i install the H100 with the fans pushing air up through the rad and out the top and keeping all other fans as intake. do you think i should have the back 120 as intake or exhaust? im probably wrong but i would of thought intake would be best as it will then be paushing more air towards the H100. or am i wrong on that one?
thanks folks!
Ganji

as for my low desk/coffee table, the reason i have everything low is cos i have some health issue's including dvt's in my legs so need to keep em raised so the only way i could think to do it was get a gaming chair and coffee tanle lol. it is really cumfy but it does have some draw backs lol. im forever falling asleep in my chair 😄
ive started to disslike it though and am thinking of building something else a bit higher. normal'ish desk hight with something to raise my case even more as its a bit low now. i just used a couple of cataloges for now just to give it enough space for the psu and bottom fan to get some air.
i also

all the lighting not inside the case is powered by a seperate psu under my desk 😄