cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMA, Soak test, what is it and how long should it take?

imbloodyskintag
Level 8
After being told 9 days ago that I should get back my g74 any day soon, I was told yesterday by the resller who is dealing with it that he got a reply email stating that "its fixed and having soak test" no info on what has been fixed, just told him
"report will be in the box when it comesback"

So,
Anyone know what a "soak test" is and how long it should take, so I can have a better idea of when I should/can expect t get my "hopefully fixed" laptop back from them?
Note,
They have had it since the 30th. Also I bought it as an asus refurb, so this is the 2nd time its been in for repair.
5 REPLIES 5

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

From wikipedia:
"Soak testing involves testing a system with a significant load extended over a significant period of time, to discover how the system behaves under sustained use.

For example, in software testing, a system may behave exactly as expected when tested for 1 hour. However, when it is tested for 3 hours, problems such as memory leaks cause the system to fail or behave randomly.

Soak tests are used primarily to check the reaction of a subject under test under a possible simulated environment for a given duration and for a given threshold. Observations made during the soak test are used to improve the characteristics of the subject under test further.

In electronics, soak testing may involve testing a system up to or above its maximum ratings for a long period of time. Some companies may soak test a product for a period of many months, while also applying external stresses such as elevated temperatures.

This falls under stress testing."

So it looks like the repair center have tested your notebook and tried to get the issues you had before you sent the notebook in.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

imbloodyskintag
Level 8
Thankyou for that information 🙂
My fault was after a Bios update(which I told them about) it switched off and from then on it just kept switching on and off for about 2-3 seconds and the on ly was to get it to switch on was to remove the ram stick, yet all that got me was a blank screen.
Previous to that I did get lockups/freezes and pink/purple screens about 1-2 times a week.

Hope I get it back soon as we had to go back to using my slow, overheating dell 😞
The day it returns and first switch on I pray that this will be the end of the fault/issue and can finally fit the ssd I bought for it the day before it broke.

fuzon1337
Level 10
I'm sorry to hear that you have such annoying issues with power on/off problems after the BIOS update.

So when you recieve your notebook back, then I hope you get a flawless notebook without any issues 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you have such annoying issues with power on/off problems after the BIOS update.

So when you recieve your notebook back, then I hope you get a flawless notebook without any issues 🙂

Thankyou fuzon1337 🙂

chrsplmr
Level 18
fuzon1337+...always.c.