cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent Clicking Sound

chooch
Level 7
I picked up a G75vw-bbk5 today and notice a consistent clicking sound coming from the speaker on the right. The clicks are audible from the time you boot the computer until you log into Windows. I'm guessing the clicking stops because the sound driver is kicking in.

I installed Linux to dual-boot and the clicking is constant -- it never goes away. Actually, I have no audio from the speakers at all in Linux. Audio works perfectly if I plug in headphones - I can hear music/sounds and the clicking in the speaker stops. As soon as I unplug headphones the clicking starts in the speaker again.

The clicks are definitely in the audio system, not hardware (drives, fans, etc.) and they are spaced exactly one second apart.

Anybody else have this issue? Any ideas on a fix? I'm going to research the Linux audio issues tonight and will update if I find a configuration that works.
11 REPLIES 11

dstrakele
Level 14
Since you report the issue in both Linux and Windows, I believe it is likely a hardware issue and recommend you exchange your laptop for a new unit.

If you enter the BIOS or Express Gate, do the clicks occur?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
If you enter the BIOS or Express Gate, do the clicks occur?

I will double check this a little later today. I seem to remember that it did continue clicking when in BIOS settings.

I'm still hoping that I can find a Linux audio driver that will work it out. The short duration of clicking during boot is fine, as long as I can get it to stop while in the OS!

EDIT: No clicking while in the BIOS. It starts after post and only Windows loading it's sound driver makes it stop.. Working on LInux driver search this morning.

john_from_ohio
Level 11
The included 1 TB drive is on the "right side" and typically clicking that might be a hard drive is very very bad.

Linux directly or thru a vm?

john_from_ohio wrote:
The included 1 TB drive is on the "right side" and typically clicking that might be a hard drive is very very bad.

Linux directly or thru a vm?

This is definitely not a mechanical (hardware) noise. The sound goes away if I plug in headphones and comes back when they are unplugged so it's isolated to the audio system. I should have clarified that the sound is from the right back, near the power button which is where I presume a speaker is.

This is booting Linux directly, no virtual machines.

dstrakele
Level 14
I'm thinking the speaker is bad and the Windows audio driver is somehow masking the issue. I can't recall seeing anyone else report such an issue for any laptop.

I definitely think you should throw this one back. Exchange your defective laptop for a new one and let ASUS figure it out. You should not have to deal with such an issue on a brand new (or even a refurbished) laptop.

Alilas
Level 7
Clicking Sound is caused by WD Scorpio Black HDD
AsusG74SX 3D 8GB 1333 DD3 *2 WD Scorpio Black HDD 500 GO I7 2670QM
Moded Bios .203(Fix Throttle Problem and Active AES For full Instructions http://dkillone.com/?p=52

Alilas wrote:
Clicking Sound is caused by WD Scorpio Black HDD

Then why does it stop when he plugs in the headphones? Oh yeah - the headphones are covering his ears...

@fuzon - the issue in that thread is popping noise IN headphones. This is where the OP doesn't hear the noise. I've also heard it is extremely difficult to apply the recommended registry edit fix in Linux.
;>{)>

dstrakele wrote:
Then why does it stop when he plugs in the headphones? Oh yeah - the headphones are covering his ears...

Nice! No, I did take them off and hold the laptop to my head to see if it was only diminished. Totally gone with headphones plugged in, then back when unplugged.

I'm reluctant to take it back since I've already invested several hours in configuration. Maybe they'll swap my drive for the one in the new one at Best Buy. Knowing them, they'll ship it off for "repairs" and I don't want to be without it for a month.

fuzon1337
Level 10
Is it the realtek that who is deliver the sound card in the G75?

Then take a look at this site:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/587521-fix-realtek-sound-po...

See if any of the suggestions in that forum can help you out to fix the issue.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205