cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank (not black) screen and blank screen flickering on G51vx-A1 w/ GT260M GPU

Prometheus
Level 7
In the last 2-3 weeks my G51 has been experiencing random and sometimes frequent 'blank' screen issues while just surfing, or watching video, but especially while playing games. I just took the back off & blew out my fan about 3 months ago after 1 1/2 years and it wasn't really that dusty to be honest, so I don't think that is the issue.

These are TRUE "blank" screens and not back-light issues or 'no-signal' nor are they 'freezes'. The screen goes blank but the back-light is CLEARLY working as the screen is dark 'grey' and not 'black'. I can still hear the video, and can hear system events/game sounds as I initiate them...I just don't have any video.

I have always had my G51 supported in the back lifting it up and away from the desk's surface by about 2-1/2-inches. Still, the keyboard where the WASD keys are would get so hot it would make my hand uncomfortable to lay on that area for an extended time. This is WITH the fan cycling from low to high automatically as it usually does.

About the same time these 'blank' screens began I also noticed that upon booting up, the blue "starting/resuming Windows" screen would have a ragged/jagged black 'smear' across the bottom on the left side that extended 3/4 across the width of the screen.

I thought that maybe something had become corrupted in the video drivers, so I went to Nvidia and downloaded their most recent 260M driver package. (I have been using Nvidia's drivers with no problems since I unpacked my G51vx-A1 2yrs ago, so I do not think that is the issue either) I did as I always do and uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted into safe-mode, ran 'Drivesweeper', rebooted, installed the new drivers, rebooted and went on my way.

This did not stop the 'blank' screens from happening.

Sooo... I went to ASUS and looked for any critical new software that "ASUS-Updater" may have missed. I found a new Bios and new chip-set controller. I downloaded these to a thumb-drive and flashed/installed them both successfully.

This has STILL not solved my 'blank' screens.

Soooo... Tomorrow I am going to borrow my cousin's Jenson-kit (tools) again and remove the back from my G51 and try blowing it out and do some looking around. From some of the research I have done trying to fix this...it seems that SOME people have had issues with the thermal paste between the heat-sink and the GPU. I will be investigating this.

I came here and made this post both to let some more knowledgeable people see my issue, what I have done so far, what I propose to do...and see if they have had any similar issues or have any additional insight as to the causes.

ANY INPUT or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
I would reapply the thermal paste and see if that helps you. The fact that it was getting so hot tells me that perhaps heat was building up and the heatsink was not able to properly remove it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…