Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

+1

Hello everyone,

it seems like I have the same issue over here ... I bought my G75 five days ago and - until now - I was extremely happy. It's an awesome machine!

My Problem: I just booted up and the screen stayed black. Windows sound worked, so it seemed to boot somehow correctly. When I plugged in an external screen via VGA-Port, the G75 screen seemed to work as it should. When unplugged everything went dark again.

• Pressing the power button for a minute (with and without the battery) didn't work out.
    • Neither it helped to open and close the screen (for the magnetic sensor, as mentioned above).

When turned black I saw something like a single underline symbol flashing from left to right in the middle of the G75 screen. I wondered if It could be a driver issue and tried to uninstall ad reinstall the Nvidia drivers (date: 29.03.2012, version: 8.17.12.9644). Then I rebooted and unplugged the external screen again. For a moment it seemed to work, but then the G75 screen went black again. ...

Right now I'm running out of ideas.
    Unfortunately the link in post #4 is down.
    Is it really a hardware issue or something else?
    Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance and greetings from Germany!

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Do you have any peripheral devices attached to any of the ports of your laptop? If so, remove them and reboot the system. If the laptop display is still black, contact your retailer and see if you can exchange your defective laptop for a new unit or at least get a complete refund. From what I read in this forum, the issue is likely hardware. Let the retailer and ASUS figure it out. You don't want this to become YOUR problem.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Do you have any peripheral devices attached to any of the ports of your laptop? If so, remove them and reboot the system. If the laptop display is still black, contact your retailer and see if you can exchange your defective laptop for a new unit or at least get a complete refund. From what I read in this forum, the issue is likely hardware. Let the retailer and ASUS figure it out. You don't want this to become YOUR problem.
    Thank you for your reply! You're right. I DON'T want this to become MY problem.
    I've spoken to ASUS (Germany) and my retailer. I'll get a new unit. No questioning.

To answer your question and update my current status on the error (if someone looks this up):
    • The screen remained black, no matter if there were any peripheral devices attached.
    • When I tried to boot the system later on, it didn't show the ROG logo but my windows desktop after a while. A few seconds later the screen started to show pretty weird flickering vertical lines (many), followed by black and a normal desktop. Then again lines, black, strobe, and so on. I attached the external screen and the problem immediately diasappeared.

Now I'm pretty sure, it's the hardware ...

ROG Member Array

I'm ****ing pissed of right now! This time I had to try at least 8-10 times to get this computer to work. I have been to lazy to contact the retailer and ASUS, but now i'm going to do it just as i'm writing this ****.

Damn...

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Espenh View Post
    This time I had to try at least 8-10 times to get this computer to work. I have been to lazy to contact the retailer and ASUS, but now i'm going to do it just as i'm writing this ****.
    Seriously do not mess around with a unit that is mis behaving and is still within the return/exchange zone.

If you keep messing around and putting up with anomalies you end up with a machine that the retailer will no longer return/exchange and then you have to fight thru manufacturer warranty service staff.

ROG Member Array

Well, yeah. I kind of understood that right now. But seriously, who gives out a computer that have sooo many problems? ASUS should test their computers properly before they release them. Now I have another problem... I can't boot up my computer without getting on the recovery screen. I am REALLY pissed of right now!

New ROGer Array

This seems like a widespread issue on these ASUS laptops. I was having a ball for 2 days then issues started liek everyone else and now it will do nothing. I now have to wait for them to get another one out and am without a laptop. Why are there so many issues with the same screen issue. I am almost scared to exchange it but I love the laptop.
    Any feedback?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Why do millions of iPad 3 owners report their retina displays have a yellow hue (see http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3191...m-retina.htm)? Unfortunately, it is a sign of the times with mass-produced electronic gadgets. There may be manufacturing errors that require you to exchange your gadget for a new one, hopefully without issues. It may even require more than one exchange.

This is why it is so very important to completely test your new electronic gadget, preferably in stock configuration, while you are still within the retailer's exchange/return period.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 09-07-2012 at 04:17 AM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

there are a lot of hops between the factory where the machines are produced and us the users. manufacturing errors do occur, but let' be more realistic, it's the retailers that interface us. imo, if the retailers perform some basic checks and testing on the machines they sell, it might help to reduce user frustrations.

however, it's still up to the quality and know-how of the sales persons. it's hard to find an experienced one.

but another scenario is this: most of us do not ask the sales person to do tests; and many feel uneasy when the sales person show them an opened goods, instead of unopened one. in the end, someone will get the blame :/

also, i realized that most of us do not know the proper process after buying a new gadget (i.e. what we must do to make sure the gadgets are actually in good shape, using some simple testing tools; at best we just observe the machines physically for defects). by doing so, we can detect anomalies as soon as possible, before it's way passed the exchange date (not always the case, as there are sales persons that do take care of their customers and allow them to still do the exchange)

p.s. i own a good quality g55. never had an issue since i bought it.

New ROGer Array

Permanent Fix to Black Screen with

Listen up folks, I found another fix that is permanent. I tried all the procedures listed here and on other forums. The solution is to create a system repair disc and then rebuild the Master Boot Record (MBR). As long as your display screen is not the problem, nor a hardware issue, rebuilding the Master Boot Record will fix your problem. Give it a try! If you need any further help, just contact me through this forum.

This will get you started in creating a system repair disc. You may have to borrow one from someone if you don't have one already realizing that you cannot make one in your black screen laptop.

Create a system repair disc

To create a system repair disc you will go into control panel and select "System and Security" and then
    "Backup your Computer". Then select on the left side, "Create System Repair Disc" You will need a cd/dvd disc for ASUS to make the disc.

Note
    If you're prompted to insert a Windows installation disc, it means that the files needed to create the system repair disc can't be found on your computer.

Once you create the disc reboot your laptop with the disc in the drive and then it will boot to the disc where you can select the Master Boot Record fix. Once you do that. You can remove your disc and reboot. If all goes well, black screen will be gone and bootup to Windows will be good. I spent a good deal of time figuring out this solution so what better place to document it then right here. Spread the word if it works for you.

Bugs

Quote Originally Posted by Tristamus View Post
    I am seriously disappointed.

I have the exact same problem, 3 days after receiving this system. One hour it was flawless, then literally the next hour, it completely ceased to operate correctly. No BIOS, no ROG logo at boot-up, NOTHING. I was having an amazing time with it, as it IS a fantastic laptop, but this is devastating, and terrible timing. I really needed this new laptop to get some work done by June 8th, now I am stuck with an RMA and sending it back.

I enclosed a note on the keyboard, so that when the repair guys at ASUS open up the returned product, they can read what happened and what I expect as compensation. I wrote my number on it asking whoever is repairing / replacing it to give me a call and have a little chat with me about this situation.

I spent nearly $3,000 for this thing, with all the extra stuff etc. I knew something was up when the computer first arrived. When I opened it up, all the panels were out of place and not popped in correctly, on the bottom and the display panel. I let it go, since the laptop worked fine. Now it is testament to how poorly and hastily put together this stuff is. I ordered mine from Xotic PC, by the way, if anyone was wondering.

Edit: I did call Tech Support, and after trying several potential solutions that failed to fix it, and as kind as they were, the only thing they said I could do is return it for repairs. I really didn't want to have to waste my time with this crap. Seriously aggravating.
    Last edited by bugsbunny; 10-09-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast