cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help me what asus rog notebook to buy for a workstation?

vfxroto
Level 7
Hi all,

Been planning 2 yrs ago for Asus-ROG-G73SW-3DE.
Corei7 2630QMe/16gb ddr3 ram. But newer models are now released.
I need workstation for mobility for I travel a lot my budget around 2000usd.I use 3dsmax, after effects, photoshop, nuke, mudbox, mocha imageenirs, for my work.

Thanks for your help

vfx roto
24 REPLIES 24

PILGRIM
Level 11
Hi. For that budget, you might opt for the G74SX-3DE instead.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

thanks for the quick reply PILGRIM:) with this budget dyou think i can have 16gb ram?
May i know your asus rog specs and how much u bought it. thanks

vfxroto wrote:
thanks for the quick reply PILGRIM:) with this budget dyou think i can have 16gb ram?
May i know your asus rog specs and how much u bought it. thanks

CPU: Intel 2630QM / GPU: nVidia GTX 560M / Matte-screen 120 Hz /
Disk Drives: SSD 128 GB (Primary), HDD 750 GB (Secondary) / Wi-Fi: Intel 6230 /
RAM: 16 GB

I bought the stock G74 3D plus the upgrades for about $2100 last year.
Well, it's up to you.. You also have the G75 3D to choose from, as what bratt
and fuzon has indicated. Methinks any of the G73 3D/ G74 3D/ or G75 3D
would be a nice investment for as long as the price is right.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Also look at the G55 for more portability. The G55 (3610 QM GTX660M) is apparently not too hard to disassemble, supports 16 (expand to 32) GB of RAM, but only has one HDD slot. It has an mSata connector, but access to that is not for the faint of heart. Alternately, look at the G53SX (2670 QM 16->32 GB RAM GTX560M), which has two SATA III connectors for dual hard drives. The disassembly of the G53SX is also not for the faint of heart, but it is more portable than the G7X's. I know some people have put 32 GB in their G53SX, along with two hard drives (or 1 SSD & 1 HDD).
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
Also look at the G55 for more portability. The G55 (3610 QM GTX660M) is apparently not too hard to disassemble, supports 16 (expand to 32) GB of RAM, but only has one HDD slot. It has an mSata connector, but access to that is not for the faint of heart. Alternately, look at the G53SX (2670 QM 16->32 GB RAM GTX560M), which has two SATA III connectors for dual hard drives. The disassembly of the G53SX is also not for the faint of heart, but it is more portable than the G7X's. I know some people have put 32 GB in their G53SX, along with two hard drives (or 1 SSD & 1 HDD).

Yes im considering g55 i had no problem with the size as long it does performs well. I could always use external monitor. Do you have a link for g55 with 32gb ram? can't find it in amazon. Thanks man:)

vfxroto wrote:
Yes im considering g55 i had no problem with the size as long it does performs well. I could always use external monitor. Do you have a link for g55 with 32gb ram? can't find it in amazon. Thanks man:)

NP 🙂 Look at XoticPC, they will customize the system for you with up to 32 GB of 1600 MHz RAM. I have never ordered from them, but some people on the forum say they are nice to work with. Opinions, anyone? Also, XoticPC will let you customize everything, including display, processor, RAM, and more.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

PILGRIM wrote:
CPU: Intel 2630QM / GPU: nVidia GTX 560M / Matte-screen 120 Hz /
Disk Drives: SSD 128 GB (Primary), HDD 750 GB (Secondary) / Wi-Fi: Intel 6230 /
RAM: 16 GB

I bought the stock G74 3D plus the upgrades for about $2100 last year.
Well, it's up to you.. You also have the G75 3D to choose from, as what bratt
and fuzon has indicated. Methinks any of the G73 3D/ G74 3D/ or G75 3D
would be a nice investment for as long as the price is right.

Your right im considering my budget for now. I guess I'll have the latest g series version and upgrade later the ram or ssd. Another question if you may, have u tried using softwares like photoshop, 3dsmax, after effects or other heavy softwares? I usually do 2k to 4k footages. Or any of you guys give can give me feedback about its performance? thanks again PILGRIM

vfxroto wrote:
Your right im considering my budget for now. I guess I'll have the latest g series version and upgrade later the ram or ssd. Another question if you may, have u tried using softwares like photoshop, 3dsmax, after effects or other heavy softwares? I usually do 2k to 4k footages. Or any of you guys give can give me feedback about its performance? thanks again PILGRIM

Sorry, others will have to give answers. I've never used those software.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

antisocialbratt
Level 8
I think for a budget of 2000 bucks he can easily get G75VW DH73 3D. Its base version is priced at $1968 at Xoticpc with free shipping in USA. It has i7 3610QM,16GB RAM, 670m 3Gb GPU. There are two 750 gb HDD. You can replace one with a SSD at the time of order and price would be pretty much around 2000 bucks. Worth a look me-thinks 😉 http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwds733d-eta-midmay-p-4324.html?wconfigure=yes
I'll grab one of these beast in a few weeks. Can't wait 😮