cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with 16gigs

hazard99
Level 7
So i recently bought this lovely asus g73 rog'n laptop and it was upgraded to 16gigs of ram.

I have no idea what you do with 16gig of ram. So I'm ask you the rog community to help me out.

How do you make the best use out of all your ram. I kinda feel like its being wasted.
9 REPLIES 9

Zka17
Level 16
Well, it depends on what do you want to do with your laptop... For internet browsing and regular MS Office stuff, even for some games, 16GB is an overkill. When you're getting to use Photoshop, 3D rendering, maybe some video editing - you will see that sometimes even 16GB isn't enough...

Its looking like It maybe just wasted. I would love to learn how to photoshop but I have no idea where to start. I would also like to do 3d graphics but I've tried and I learn very slow.

Zka17
Level 16
So, what are you trying to say? That you're sorry for upgrading the memory? Maybe the guy, from who you bought the laptop, was using it for more memory demanding processes...

Believe me, having more memory than less is the better way to be "sorry"! Who knows, what applications or games you will use in the future?

Not sorry at all. Just wanted to see how others use theirs. If they disable everything or just delay it on start up. Also do they disable or lower pagefile.

Zka17
Level 16
What do you mean by "if they disable everything or just delay it on start up"? I'm really confused on this... Disable memory? Disable some softwares? What exactly to delay on startup? You do have to be more specific my friend...

Now about "do they disable or lower pagefile".
The storage devices (where you keep all your things on the computer - HDDs, even SSDs) are pratically too slow to catch up with the speed that a CPU is working, so the system needs something faster to feed the CPU. That something is the random access memory (RAM). It's way more faster then even the newest SATA III connected devices. Now, when you're loading an OS and any softwares after that, they will be stored temporarily in the RAM. It can happen, however, that this RAM is simply not enough to store all the data you're working with (and here think for example about Photoshop working with a lot of very big images) - in special for older systems where the memory/RAM is less than 4GB. So, Microsoft came up with the so called "virtual memory". This practically means, that the data which won't fit in the RAM, but the system still using it, will be written out on the storage device (HDD, SSD) - in the page file. Of course, this will slow down the system.

As SSDs come up and begin to conquer more space over HDDs, an other problem raised. Although SSD are way faster then HDDs, In contrast with HDDs, they have a big disadvantage too: writing on them is limited. Using to low amount of memory/RAM and by this forcing the system to use more often the virtual memory/page file is not a good idea... it will deteriorate the SSD fast. Now, you have a hybrid storage unit, which combines SSD and HDD - not sure which part of it is used for the page file location... But anyhow, if you're lowering the RAM amount, your system will slow down in case you are using memory hungry applications, because of the SATA III speed limitations over RAM speeds.

In conclusion, if I would be you, I would leave that 16GB in and lower the page file size for any eventuality. If you're sure about no need that 16GB, I mean you won't fill it up, then just disable the page file completely.

Understood. I will just delay programs as they start up with the computer. it seems not need to worry about how much memory my computer is using unless I am running vmware of or something of the sort.

I know that with linux it will only close programs when It needs the memory. I kinda figured the same princple would Apply here. Why restrict what the computer loads when I have so much ram anyway.

ill probably goof of with a vmware'd linux set up. That way I can learn more about linux and hopefully I can get mac os x running also.

Peregrine
Level 9
Something you might want to play with. A Photoshop equivalent.
Install i and then just Google "WinGImp Tutorials".
http://www.gimp.org/windows/
Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

Ah thank you so much for the application suggestion!
I Will take a look at the tuts!

GIMP is an awesome program, especially since it runs on multiple platforms. It is part of the FSF (Free Software Foundation)'s "Free Software Gang". The "FSG" is a group of high-quality free and open-source programs that run on LINUX and Windows (and sometimes Mac). You might want to take a look at them:

1) GIMP..............Photoshop
2) Blender.........3DS Max
3) LibreOffice....Microsoft Office

Link:
http://www.fsf.org/working-together/gang/

EDIT: Some of the programs are window managers (KDE) and only run on LINUX.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23