cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this look resonable for an everyday OC

NovaStorm
Level 7
Here are the settings I came up with after reading and trying different things from this forum. I am looking for a good everyday OC on my 3930K/RIVE/Dominator GT xmp 2133 and H100 cooler. I have placed a small fan towards the VRM heatsink and the temps on the last pic also show the temps (under Maximun) after running 3Dmark 11. As far as I can tell it would not be wise to go any higher on load temps than this. Can I do anything more maybe with voltages to lower the temp even more?
Would appreciate your thoughts and or suggestions.

OC_0001a by ~NovaStorm~, on Flickr

OC_001b by ~NovaStorm~, on Flickr

OC_001c by ~NovaStorm~, on Flickr

OC_001d by ~NovaStorm~, on Flickr

OC_01a by ~NovaStorm~, on Flickr

OC_01 by ~NovaStorm~, on Flickr
~ Rampage IV Extreme, Intel 3930K, Corsair H100, 16gb Corsair Dominator-GT 2133, 2X EVGA GTX 560's SLI, Crucial M4-SSD 256gb, NZXT Hal 90 850watt gold PSU, NZXT Full Tower Phantom ~ W7
~
13 REPLIES 13

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip that looks good to go.

Do you have active cooling over your VRMs? Remember that with the H100 there is little or no air flow over the VRM area of your motherboard.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

NovaStorm
Level 7
I was hoping I would get enough air movement around the VRM's from air exhausting up the side of the board from 2, 200mm top mounted fans. I set up the rad out away from the board as far as I could to clear the ram and give space for the board heat to exhaust.
See top down pic in this thread. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14699-Coming-along-with-new-build

Do you think adding the second top mounted 200mm will give enough air pull over the VRM's? Or should I try adding a small VRM fan to go right in under there blowing onto them? I have one from an old Striker II board which I could try and rig in under there.

Thanks for the advice 🙂
~ Rampage IV Extreme, Intel 3930K, Corsair H100, 16gb Corsair Dominator-GT 2133, 2X EVGA GTX 560's SLI, Crucial M4-SSD 256gb, NZXT Hal 90 850watt gold PSU, NZXT Full Tower Phantom ~ W7
~

daniel66
Level 7
I have it at 4.8 Mhz at 1.395 V.(tested in prime 95 and aida 64 for 2-3 h) The VRM are getting very hot at this speed. I have 120mm Noctua fan over them and two probes on the heatsinks.(it's not nice but hey....i dont care about the looks)
I can tell you that without the fan, the top heatsink is above 50 C and the second is 45 C#.
The VRM must be hotter that this. So a fan over the VRM is a must.
I also have the exhaust fan(back of the case) set as intake, so more air passses over the other heatsink.

With the fan the top VRM never gets past 45, and the left one is at 40 or around.

There is a thread that explains how can you place a fan over with an H100 or WC cooling.

NovaStorm
Level 7
Yes I tried the 4.8 works great (such a nice board and cpu) figured the heat was a little to high for my set up though.
I can add a 200mm fan off the side case door which will point directly at the area of the lower heat sink and CPU, this should give me lots of air movement in that area. Then I will rig up a couple of small fans, over the top and side heatsinks. Thanks for your 2 cents Daniel, I've got to much invested and are enjoying the results to much to risk it to heat 🙂
~

Vcore at 1.40v :confused:??? that too much for 4.5mhz, I think you will get a stable everyday use at vcore of 1.35-1.37 max;). try it you will
get way much less heat on max load.

cheers.

NovaStorm
Level 7
Cheers Axtenar, thanks for the advice. I will certainly give it a go later. Just finishing cleaning up my old machine for a friend 🙂
I was wondering if I could lower that a bit. Rgds ~
~

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would not be surprised if you could shave the CPU voltage down a bit more. In line with the values Axtenar gave.
I am beginning to suspect you could drop it and your VRM temps even a bit more if you run by all core instead of per core:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15273-Possible-Core-Temp-Diode-bug&country=&status=

NovaStorm
Level 7
Ok, did some tweaking as per your instructions. Dropped vcore to 1.36 ran 3Dmark11 and took temps. Dropped again to 1.35v and ran bench again and took temps. All went fine and tempurature values did go down a bit.

Then I set all cores with 45 and ran the bench. All cores gives me a higher idle temp and a slightly longer cool down time, but the under load temps stayed about the same as per core values. Mind you on the per cores I did not have them all set at 45.
All cores also gave me over 100 point higher score in 3dmark 11, putting me at P9543 up from P9431 previous per core score. This is fun 🙂

Here are the temp scales. Maximun is the real one of interest although I did try and start all off from a long enough cool down to give a good indication of idle temps...

Vcore136 by ~NovaStorm~, on Flickr

Vcore135 by ~NovaStorm~, on Flickr

Vcore_All core by ~NovaStorm~, on Flickr

Appreciate the help your all giving me! thanks ~
~

NovaStorm
Level 7
OK now my question is this. For everyday use am I better off running (per core) for things like cruzing the net, office, photoshop ect.
Then when I want to do video or gaming simply switching over to (all cores). I mean that is the beauty of this board, It is so easy to up the anti. Seems to me it would be better on power, a little cooler on the CPU over time and also quieter. I'm going to have to replace the fans on this H100, just going all cores ramps them up a hair and increases noise level. Now I want to work out a good cooler for the VRM's...
~