cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V- Bios Update- Can't POST- Happened 2x

Kaladryn
Level 8
Hello Everyone, hopefully someone here can help me find a solution! I have gone threw two Maximus V Gene boards now, both with the exact same result, here is my story:

This is my 4th Asus build, I have always updated my bios, and never had a problem. I know that, technically, I should not update my bios without a good reason, however I was lead to believe (accurately I think) that a) the new bios improved stability, and b) the new bios might be needed for my Ivy Bridge support, and c) there are several other tweaks (some voltage related) that would be desirable to me. I was told at some lengh by Asus tech support that I should not have updated the bios, actually that is pretty much all he said to me, however I have to disagree, I SHOULD be able to update my bios on a modern motherboard without problems, I have probably done 100 bios updates in my life (almost exclusively on Asus boards) and have never had a single problem I could not recover from (same goes for several graphics card bios flashes).

So, disclaimer aside, here is what happened, first my motherboard passed the breadboard test perfectly. Assembled computer in case with all components. Booted to bios, perfect. Turned off computer, then:

1. Downloaded 0813 bios from Asus site.
2. Renamed file to M5G.CAP (manual that comes with motherboard said to use .ROM, but UPDATED manual from Asus website to use .CAP-the updated manual is correct)
3. Copied bios to USB 3.0 stick (formatted NTFS, which DOES work on the Maximus V, per the updated manual)
4. Followed the USB Bios Flashback proceedure (It seemed to work perfectly based on flashing lights both on the flashback button and on the USB stick matching perfectly video demonstrations of the flash.)
5. Tried to power on computer, power supply just clicks repeatedly, MB doesn't power up enough to get an error code. Error LED for CPU comes on momentarily.

I think the board is stuck in some kind of protection mode, overvolt protection maybe, or some kind of short protection. In every way it seems like a short, but it is not.

1. Power supply tested (multimeter) everything is perfect. (Seasonic Gold 650w)
2. CPU checks out, tested in another board. (Intel Ivy Bridge 3550)
3. Memory tested, working. (G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 2133)
4. MB passed breadboard test before bios updated, will not pass any sort of breadboarding after. MB breadboarded with only CPU, 12pin, and 8pin connnected.
5. MB doesn't POST, instantly shuts down after it gets power, cycles repeats every 5-7 seconds. No error code, only CPU_PWR light comes on momentarily at the start of each cycle.
6. Also, CPU reseated, pins examined very closely, everything looks perfect, plus it WAS working before bios update.

OK, here is the kicker, I RMAed the first board, got a second one, and repeated everything exactly the same, with the same result (I know about the Einstein quote...).

I tried using USB Bios Flashback to load the 602 bios, I seems to load perfectly from the flashing lights on both devices, however it does not fix my problem. I tried clearing the CMOS, both before and after loading the old bios. I went back and tried FAT32 format (bios still loads exactly the same it seems, per flashing indicator lights).

I understand now (slow learner) that I SHOULD NOT be using USB Bios Flashback, and instead I should have used Asus EZ Flash 2, however the mistake has been made. I am hoping all this info will be enough to find a solution without having to RMA another board. Also, I have a feeling other people will share my experience under similar conditions.

Finally (thanks for reading all this!!!), my theories: I think the USB 3.0 might cause a voltage issue and put the board into some kind of protection mode.

PS I tried flashing everything back with a USB 2.0 stick, no dice.

Thank you!
12 REPLIES 12

Shamino
redo the flashback
make sure the leds stop flashing to indicate it is done.
at this point turn off psu AC power
press clear cmos button
power on

Shamino wrote:
redo the flashback
make sure the leds stop flashing to indicate it is done.
at this point turn off psu AC power
press clear cmos button
power on

I tried 3 versions of this:

1. flashbacked until complete (used FAT32 to be safe)
2. powered AC off (unplugged PSU)
3. pressed cmos clear
4. powered on, same clicking clicking on and off, nothing

second version:

1. redid flashback
2. powered AC off
3. removed battery for 15minutes
4. powered on, same clicking

third version:

1. redid flashback
2. used ROG connnect to clear cmos
3. powered off computer
4. powered on, same clicking

SOME POSSIBLE GOOD INFO!

ROG Connect says "The remote computer is locked." momentarily when I first try to power on, meaningful perhaps?

Even with the issues I'm having I can tell how awesome the MB is, can't wait to get it working, thank you for the help!

Based on other posts I have found, I plan to try this procedure next (from a HiVizMan post), obviously I have to modify the procedure a bit since my hardware is slightly different.

Remove all components from your Motherboard.

Remove your motherboard from the case.

Use the box as a temporary work bench

Remove the CPU if not removed in step 1.

Remove the CMOS battery

Reset BIOS

Clear CMOS using the jumpers

Let your system stand for 20 mins to 2 hours

Keep your motherboard on the box

Install - CPU, 1 stick ram, keyboard and mouse and graphic card

Insure that the ram is installed correctly

Insure that your GPU is latched in the PCie slot

Now connect your PSU cables and double check that the GPU connector is inserted fully.

Power up your system

Above method yielded no results. I'm considering RMAing this board, but I REALLY want the Maximus V to work for me but now I'm afraid to get another one, unless I can at least figure out what is wrong and prevent it from happening again...

If we have to use the aflash2 utility absolutly, then they should write it down on the download page right next to the bios file. Some manager is not doing his job as he should at Asus. Otherwise they should just quietly assign RMAs without any unpleasant remarks.

denismx wrote:
If we have to use the aflash2 utility absolutly, then they should write it down on the download page right next to the bios file. Some manager is not doing his job as he should at Asus. Otherwise they should just quietly assign RMAs without any unpleasant remarks.

I didn't ask him for an RMA, I wanted help solving the issue. I'm not disappointed for tier 1 phone tech support, although he didn't even know basic fasts about my board, I understand their info isn't very specific. He also told me that they 602 bios supported my cpu, NOT the 813, I had to explain to him that the CPU was support for 602 and beyond, we argued about this point... After I told him about the USB flashback, he told me to try that. Still, it's tier 1 tech support so I wasn't upset.

Ticket number is: 1854840

I love the features on this board, I spent a number of hours today researching other boards, both from Asus and from other companies, nothing fits my needs more perfectly than this board. Plus, I don't think anyone can touch Asus in the MB department. This is a new board, I understand there might be kinks, I just want to work them out! If I can't find a solution I will RMA and get another, then NOT use the ROG USB flashback...

HiVizMan
Level 40
I am not even sure why you need to flash the bios in the first place to be quite honest. You say you are getting the MVG board? Well that is Ivy ready.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I am not even sure why you need to flash the bios in the first place to be quite honest. You say you are getting the MVG board? Well that is Ivy ready.

You are correct, it was my mistake updating the bios, however I have never NOT updated the bios on a new build. It is unfortunate I think, that even on an enthusiast board such as this, bios updates are to be avoided. I must have flashed my Asus P4B 10 times in it's lifetime (still going strong), I probably flashed my Asus P5W 5 times (still going strong). I'm not using a beta bios, only official release. When bios notes say "improve system stability" it is hard NOT to update, especially on a new build. What is the point of features like USB flashback if officially you should not update the bios? I understand risks like power outage in the middle of an update, and I accept those risks, however if all procedures are followed precisely, I would expect a bios update to go well in 99.9% of cases.

Ultimately you are correct though, and in the future I will be much more wary of bios updates, perhaps I just got lucky up to this point. That being said, I think you guys are going to have a lot of issues with other people having the same problem, because so many people are used to doing bios updates on new builds.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sorry if my comment sounded a bit harsh. It certainly was not my intention nor my sentiment, Rather it was an expression of surprise. I guess I am just very old school, I do not fix stuff that is not broke. The thing that many folks do take for granted is just how fraught a BIOS flash is. We become inured to the risk inherent in a BIOS flash, in part I think because of the ease of flashing via OS these days. A bios flash is now no different to a driver update for many.

But I do want to correct you on one point.

You did not make a mistake by updating the bios, it is your right and your preoperative to do so. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.