cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage Extreme Strange problem with PCIe Slot 1 :S

Topman
Level 7
hi,
I just purchased a Rampage Extreme IV motherboard (Bios 1305) I was originally using a Radeon HD XFX4350 GFX Card in Slot 1 (PCIe 3.0 x16 for installation which worked fine in slot 1. I have a xfx 7970 (Black Edition) which is going to be the card I will be installing, but the weird fault is no matter what card I use in slot one which are the following (XFX 6990, XFX 5970, or 7970) none will work I get the alarm beeps/codes for no card detected in slot 1. I put the XFX HD4350 back and it works fine again, I tried the other pcie slots on motherboard and all the cards are reconised. I tried the isolating dip switches just incase slot 1 switch was a bit dodgy but its working fine disables slot 1 on/off for the HD 4350.

The reason i subscribed here is i have never come across this type of fault before :s. I've scanned the web for possible answers so before I RMA this board back i was wondering if i'm doing something very silly 😉

Regards
//\//\ .... 😉
17 REPLIES 17

Menthol
Level 14
I believe I seen someone on these forums suggest changing the pcie lanes from 3.0 to 2.0 for troubles with some ATI cards. Doesn't sound like a viable solution or long term solution but maybe worth a shot until someone with a similar graphics card helps you out.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Remove the graphic card.

Pull the plug from your PSU and do a full clear CMOS for 30 mins

Put your new card in and power up. You have just reset factory defaults and will now be asked to set up your system.

Cheers
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for all the advice but sadly none of it helped so Sent it back for an RMA replacement. The new Replacement board arrived this morning and I was shocked to find no change what so ever ;( my asus ATI 6990, xfx7970, xfx5970/ black and standard edition all fail to reconise in slot 1 tried my XFX 4350 and worked first time again. .... sigh ;(

Am i to presume that a Mother board with a high price tag and all all the gadgets is not compatible with 4 high end GFX cards and not all from same manufacturer? Or is it just compatible with Geforce high end cards and spits out the ati one's lol

When i spoke to asus tech support they said it was strange so they sent a direct replacement shorly someone has got a 5970 or 6990 or even the new 7970 running with this board? Not to mention i would have thought these cards or atleast one fo them would have been tested on the board before releasing it?

I'm now at a real loss what to do as i do like the motherboard but if its incompatible with all high end ati cards it makes it a house brick or maybe i'll make it a home server box what a waste ;(

//\//\ .... ;((

emaratee
Level 9
I ran 2x HD5970 in cross-fire on this motherboard without a problem and am now running GTX 680 SLI ... not really doubting your ability to assemble the unit, just make sure it's seated properly.

Menthol
Level 14
What size power supply, single rail or multi rail.

hi,
The PSU's i have used have been both types a Coolermaster 650w multi Rail and a 850w OCZ ZX series single rail PSU.

Also i have experimentend with all these graphics card

tried in Slot 1 pci 1x16

XFX 7970 Black Edition won't work in slot 1 but work's in the other 4 slots.
XFX 6900 same as above
XFX 5970 same as above
XFX 7970 double dispersion
Gainwood GT 220 Same as above
Zotac Geforce GTX 470 Same as above
ASUS 6990 same as above..

Cards that work in slot 1 have been 2 i have tried so far

XFX 4350 no problems at all works as it should.
sapphire HD 2600 XT

Swapped ram over used corsair and ripjaw. in different combinations 4gb to 16gb made no difference.

Tried using the extra pci power rail and also connected up the extra power rail for memory again no difference :S

It the second mother board now with the exact same problem with pcie-slot 1 so i don't know what to think now :S

Regards
//\//\ .... 😉

I will be trying a fresh install using the hd4350 in pcie slot 2 and then play about with the rog setting using a laptop to realtime adjust bios settings with the xfx7970 in pci-e slot 1 and let you know how i get on 😉 I don't hold up much hope tbh as there's not a great deal of settings that i can adjust maybe take the pci-e voltage up till it either works or explodes lol

//\//\ ..... 😉

hi,
well i've tried everything now that i can possibly think of to resolve this slot 1 PCI-e Issue.

tried 5 PSU ranging from 650watt Coolermaster Thermaltake multi power rail 1000watt OCZ 850watt 1000watt 1250watt single rail PSU's connected up all the power connectors the 4way and 2 way for mobo Power feed extra PCI-e power socket and also the ram extra power feed.

Same issue only 2 GFX cards that i have work rest won't reconise in socket PCI-1 :S

Bios shows card slot vacant place any of them in socket 2/3/4 then they work perfectly and show native x16

Is there anyone who has got a 5970 or 6990 or 7970 or geforce 470 to work as a stand alone card in PCI-E slot 1?

I've been building PC systems for 20 years so i'm not unfamiliar with system building. however to have 2 mother boards with the same fault or issue is either bad luck or a incompatibilty with this motherboard and PCI-E slot 1. I spoke to ASUS on the phone but they told me no phone support for mobo's has to be done on forums which kind of sucks as i'm getting no where fast :S

if someone has got this motherboard working with a 5970 or any of these cards mention in PCI-E slot 1 (Stand Alone) then could you please tell me how and what bios / PSU / Ram and any setting that you have used?

Regards
//\//\ .... 😉

I currently have two ATI HD5970s running on this board with an i7-3930K and I'm using slots 1 and 3 and I also set my pcie slots to GEN2.0 instead of leaving them at GEN3.0 because the cards are 2.0 and I've never had a problem with either slot and I've taken both HD5970s out at least three or four times and no problem they fire right back up. I'm also using a Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W PSU. Also if you have overclocked your system check your pci-e frequency. I believe it is supposed to be 100 and you can do 101. I've heard so people say they have went as high as 120, but not sure I would try that 😛

Topman wrote:
hi,
well i've tried everything now that i can possibly think of to resolve this slot 1 PCI-e Issue.

tried 5 PSU ranging from 650watt Coolermaster Thermaltake multi power rail 1000watt OCZ 850watt 1000watt 1250watt single rail PSU's connected up all the power connectors the 4way and 2 way for mobo Power feed extra PCI-e power socket and also the ram extra power feed.

Same issue only 2 GFX cards that i have work rest won't reconise in socket PCI-1 :S

Bios shows card slot vacant place any of them in socket 2/3/4 then they work perfectly and show native x16

Is there anyone who has got a 5970 or 6990 or 7970 or geforce 470 to work as a stand alone card in PCI-E slot 1?

I've been building PC systems for 20 years so i'm not unfamiliar with system building. however to have 2 mother boards with the same fault or issue is either bad luck or a incompatibilty with this motherboard and PCI-E slot 1. I spoke to ASUS on the phone but they told me no phone support for mobo's has to be done on forums which kind of sucks as i'm getting no where fast :S

if someone has got this motherboard working with a 5970 or any of these cards mention in PCI-E slot 1 (Stand Alone) then could you please tell me how and what bios / PSU / Ram and any setting that you have used?

Regards
//\//\ .... 😉