cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help stabalizing voltage to cpu

Retired
Not applicable
There's all kinds of funky settings and names with this BIOS and its my first ROG mobo so I'm confused. What settings should I disable to eliminate voltage fluctuations to the CPU and enable the direct adjustment of the voltage. I want to manually tweak it and according to the manual that is possible. However, I've run into a problem because my current settings don't allow me to do so and I don't know what settings to turn off in order to get that options going. I've turned off the stupid power management and power stepping crap as I'm not interested in saving the planet. I'm in interested in getting at least 4Ghz out this 980x I spent a whole fing G on. 😞 just been sitting there for a couple months I need to get this project going and move over my stuff to my new rig. Life just got hectic and I haven't had time to spend with my baby... that and all the sudden I got a girl friend so I haven't even been at the computer much at all lately. 😮 it's kinda scary
6 REPLIES 6

Hapatingjaky
Level 8
FalloutGod13 wrote:
There's all kinds of funky settings and names with this BIOS and its my first ROG mobo so I'm confused. What settings should I disable to eliminate voltage fluctuations to the CPU and enable the direct adjustment of the voltage. I want to manually tweak it and according to the manual that is possible. However, I've run into a problem because my current settings don't allow me to do so and I don't know what settings to turn off in order to get that options going. I've turned off the stupid power management and power stepping crap as I'm not interested in saving the planet. I'm in interested in getting at least 4Ghz out this 980x I spent a whole fing G on. 😞 just been sitting there for a couple months I need to get this project going and move over my stuff to my new rig. Life just got hectic and I haven't had time to spend with my baby... that and all the sudden I got a girl friend so I haven't even been at the computer much at all lately. 😮 it's kinda scary

If you want to help stabilize voltage there are 2 options you need to do and they are probably the only options that will help.

1.) Enable Load Line Calibration in the bios, set it to Full.
2.) Underneath the 24-Pin ATX power plug on the board there is a QPI-LLC ( QPI Load Line Calibration ) jumper, enable it.

With your 980x you should be able to hit 4GHz just by adjusting the Multiplier and not even having to worry about adjusting voltage. I've seen alot of 980x CPU's do this without issue. It will all come down to what speed memory you have as this will tie in to the BCLK.
Intel Core i7 5930K @ 4.8GHz, Asus Rampave V Extreme U3.1, Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz 32GB DDR4 ( 4x8GB ), Nvidia GeForce Titan-X SLI, Creative Labs E3 USB Soundcard, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVME, Corsair AXi 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard, Logitech Proteus Core Mouse, Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz, Sennheiser Gamer Zero, Windows 10 Professional

Retired
Not applicable
What jumper? um I see the multimeter probes.. eh... I'm confused, nothing in my manual about any jumper....

FalloutGod13 wrote:
What jumper? um I see the multimeter probes.. eh... I'm confused, nothing in my manual about any jumper....

The Jumper is not in the manual, it is located below the 24pin ATX power not above.
Intel Core i7 5930K @ 4.8GHz, Asus Rampave V Extreme U3.1, Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz 32GB DDR4 ( 4x8GB ), Nvidia GeForce Titan-X SLI, Creative Labs E3 USB Soundcard, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVME, Corsair AXi 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard, Logitech Proteus Core Mouse, Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz, Sennheiser Gamer Zero, Windows 10 Professional

Retired
Not applicable
I don't see it... you mean like if the board is mounted in a tower standing upright? Because then I can't find it because one of the cards is hanging over that area. I'd have to power down and take the card out to look. :S I'll try and do that later.

FalloutGod13 wrote:
I don't see it... you mean like if the board is mounted in a tower standing upright? Because then I can't find it because one of the cards is hanging over that area. I'd have to power down and take the card out to look. :S I'll try and do that later.

Your card should not be blocking it:

I've circled it in the picture for you, in the picture its set to disabled.