Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array n3tninja's Avatar

Exclamation Asus power pin question ?

I recently bought my Asus g53sw and I get really paranoid with something I buy. I usually REALLY take care of my laptops and upon reading about the power pins on the asus g laptops breaking, I tend to now CAREFULLY and SLOWLY plug the jack in. Is the power pin breaking a really common
    problem, or is it just with a few machines.

I feel the powerplug is somewhat hard to push in, but it goes in without issues.

Please respond.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ke-on-my-G53jw is one of the main threads about this issue. I'd recommend getting the right angle adapter discussed in it, but you'll still need to be very careful.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

How long have you had your laptop for ?
    Are there users that never had this problem before ?

I've had my G74SX-A1 for 8 months. The G53 models are particularly susceptible to power pin connector breakage. They are the only models to report this issue. It appears to be a poor design.

In the thread I referenced, I believe @Chastity@ASUS posted he never experienced this problem on his G53. However, some other G53 owners report multiple RMA's for this same issue.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 05-26-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    I've had my G74SX-A1 for 8 months. The G53 models are particularly susceptible to power pin connector breakage. They are the only models to report this issue. It appears to be a poor design.

In the thread I referenced, I believe @Chastity@ASUS posted he never experienced this problem on his G53. However, some other G53 owners report multiple RMA's for this same issue.
    Is there a MOD company that can put it in a more durable pin socket ? A professional mod company ?

There is a post (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ll=1#post97118) in the thread I referenced, where a user (@jt128) made his own modification. I imagine any competent computer repair shop could do a similar repair.

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    There is a post (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ll=1#post97118) in the thread I referenced, where a user (@jt128) made his own modification. I imagine any competent computer repair shop could do a similar repair.
    Now I keep asking myself, what have I gotten into.. buying a naturally defective laptop ?! :/

Can't Chastity or anyone from ASUS/Rog community ask the head office to consider a redesign for that pin / or a different one all together?

From what I hear, its the pin that's really crap and its not like I have the time to repair it every time it breaks.
    This isn't something limited to one country but around the world.
    I know its too much to ask, but it would really earn goodwill for ASUS if it could fixed this particular problem of the people that own the G53s and other 15' series.

It didn't happen to me yet, but from what I've read, I feel like its a disaster waiting to happen.
    Its really sad that such a small problem could hold back such a powerful laptop.
    Last edited by n3tninja; 05-26-2012 at 04:37 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I been seeing this all over the forms. I know it sucks that you have to be careful but i know that with great care this can be avoided. So after seeing this problem on other peoples units I decided to find a way to alleviate extra stress on the ac adapter jack.

This are pictures that I have taken of what ive done. Its not much but I believe it will provide my computer with a long life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120526_100219.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	8867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120526_100206.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	8868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120526_100159.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	8869

Quote Originally Posted by hazard99 View Post
    I been seeing this all over the forms. I know it sucks that you have to be careful but i know that with great care this can be avoided. So after seeing this problem on other peoples units I decided to find a way to alleviate extra stress on the ac adapter jack.

This are pictures that I have taken of what ive done. Its not much but I believe it will provide my computer with a long life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120526_100219.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	8867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120526_100206.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	8868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120526_100159.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	8869
    I also found another way, it does work. Putting no strain on the pin. I'll post pictures in some time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast