Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I'm using L shaped adapter from bixmart:

http://www.bixmart.com/LC53--Right-A...tor_p_180.html

Yes, there is really a serious design fault related to port as far as i read everywhere on the net. So i'm hesitating too much to unplug and replug the connector. Asus had no right to make us live with it. It's a high-end notebook especially for gamers and portable even it can be considered as desktop replacement. So it's totally not acceptable.

My question, besides using L (LC53) shaped connector, is there anything i can do in case of getting ping breakage WHILST keeping my notebook still portable / movable. It's not my desktop because.

Thanks!
    ASUS G53JW-XA1

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

The washers discussed by @nt3ninja in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post115507 can provide additional support to the power connector pin.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

I used a rubber O-ring as a spacer which seems to work pretty well. Now there's no metal visible when its plugged in and it seems to be supported a little better.

It's probably worth mentioning that the spacer doesn't have to be made of any particular material.

Almost any reasonably solid material should work. Even a scrap piece of plastic (just slightly thicker than the gap between the plug shoulder and the laptop body) with a hole drilled in it the size of the plug would probably help.

Somebody posted a link to a "L" or right-angle barrel adapter earlier - this is a great (and cheap) option also that should be available from quite a few different sources.
    G74Sx - BIOS 203

New ROGer Array

Power Supply

Had this same issue with my G53sx. ASUS quickly and easily repaired this under warranty. I came to the conclusion that this happened due to the design of the power supply. There is between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch exposed of the plug going into the computer. Without there being another surface to absorb any pull against the cord, moving the laptop around and the regular pressure against the power pin by the plug eventually wears it out. I now make sure there is no pull against the pin when I am plugged in. Perhaps a right angled plug would help with this considering the poor design of the power pin/jack to begin with.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skassimo View Post
    I came to the conclusion that this happened due to the design of the power supply. There is between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch exposed of the plug going into the computer.
    The only thing wrong with your conclusion is that the same amount of plug is exposed on other ASUS laptop models and they DO NOT exoerience this issue in the frequency reported for the G53 series. From the photos of broken G53 connector pins in the threads of this forum, I would say the narrow diameter of the pin and poor support is the more likely cause. See the narrow broken G53 connector pin in the adapter plug in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ll=1#post38857. It looks like it was designed to break away...
    Last edited by dstrakele; 07-19-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: White Belt Array n3tninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
    I'm using L shaped adapter from bixmart:

http://www.bixmart.com/LC53--Right-A...tor_p_180.html

Yes, there is really a serious design fault related to port as far as i read everywhere on the net. So i'm hesitating too much to unplug and replug the connector. Asus had no right to make us live with it. It's a high-end notebook especially for gamers and portable even it can be considered as desktop replacement. So it's totally not acceptable.

My question, besides using L (LC53) shaped connector, is there anything i can do in case of getting ping breakage WHILST keeping my notebook still portable / movable. It's not my desktop because.

Thanks!
    Please use washers, it REALLY helps. I'm 2 months in on my g53sw and nothing seems wrong with the pin + the new adapter ASUS@Dubai gave me seems to plug in and out with ease without any pressure or force like how it was on my earlier power adapter jack.
    Asus G53sw-A1
    Intel i7 2630qm
    Memory 8 GB
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5 GB
    Windows 7 Premium
    1 TB HDD @ 7200 rpm
    4x Blu-Ray
    Razer Mamba, Razer Abysus, Rog Gaming Mouse.

FPS GAMER.

Glad to hear! If anything starts acting up on mine, I will definitely do that. L-shaped adapter will also help tremendously, since the torque on the pin will be lower (less leverage).
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Cudos Asus Dubai ... 'pointed me at coffee/tea machine' ... No Excuses ? Have some tea .. here its fixed, try this ? Awesome..
    Let hope this spreads across Asus Service Globally like wildfire .... the service part, coffee/tea optional...c.

Definitely...treat luxury computer users the way car companies treat luxury car owners...would beat the Apple "let me hold your hand, n00b"
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

I left ASUS, please contact cl-scott Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    I've had my G74SX-A1 for 8 months. The G53 models are particularly susceptible to power pin connector breakage. They are the only models to report this issue. It appears to be a poor design.

In the thread I referenced, I believe @Chastity@ASUS posted he never experienced this problem on his G53. However, some other G53 owners report multiple RMA's for this same issue.
    That is correct; Chastity@ASUS has never experienced this problem on his G53, but he also purchased a 180W adapter that has an L-shaped connector from Targus early on and he is careful with his notebook. One suggestion which may be on one of the links posted in this thread is to purchase an L-shaped adapter fitting to connect to your current AC adapter.

Also, there is a small washer/space filler type thing which you can slide over the pin of the adapter all the way to the back which will fill the space and give you a more snug connection which will also help. I happen to have one of these I was using on a laptop i no longer have so, OP, send me a PM and I can send you this washer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast