cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Bios updating!

NoukNouk
Level 7
Hi! I bought recentltly (3 months ago) an Asus, G74S. I did all the updates, except one, BIOS related. Not sure about that one. It's recommended, but I want to know if there are "risks" with this kind of update. I have many softwares installed on my computer, don't want to lost nothing. I heard bad stories about bios update! Please, help me!!!
7 REPLIES 7

zsld0423
Level 9
Check out this tutorial by BrodyBoy, great guide on updating the BIOS.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11080-BrodyBoy-simple-but-effective-.pdf-guide.-on-quot-Upd...

Long-story short, format a USB drive to FAT32, drop the BIOS file on there, reboot and press F4 to start the EasyFlash program. Select the BIOS file from your USB, and flash away

There's always risks when updating the BIOS, especially since ASUS didn't have any kind of recovery option in case of a bad flash. But going this route is the safest out of any other way you can update the BIOS that I know of. I've been flashing my BIOS on here the wrong way every time, and nothing bad has happened yet *knocks on wood* But from now on I'll be using the right way if I ever do flash a BIOS again on here
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I didn't create that thread (referenced by zsld0423) and, therefore, can't keep the links updated. Here's a link to the Easy Flash instructions, should the one there not work.

Hi! hmm. thanks for your answer, but franckly, it seems too complicated for me. Do I really have to update the bios, if the computer is running fine?? I own many computers, and it's the first time I have to update the bios. Last asus update I did, I got big problems with the resolution screen. The update installed so quick, at the worst moment. A 3d software was running for a very important work. We lost so much time my daughter and me to solve the problem. We got lucky, we fixed it, but it was kind of nightmare. 😞 I'm about to deactivate automatical update. Is it possible? if yes, how? Thanks to help me.

BrodyBoy wrote:
I didn't create that thread (referenced by zsld0423) and, therefore, can't keep the links updated. Here's a link to the Easy Flash instructions, should the one there not work.

Sorry, I knew you didn't make that thread but the PDF was yours 😛
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

NoukNouk wrote:
Hi! hmm. thanks for your answer, but franckly, it seems too complicated for me. Do I really have to update the bios, if the computer is running fine?? I own many computers, and it's the first time I have to update the bios. Last asus update I did, I got big problems with the resolution screen. The update installed so quick, at the worst moment. A 3d software was running for a very important work. We lost so much time my daughter and me to solve the problem. We got lucky, we fixed it, but it was kind of nightmare. 😞 I'm about to deactivate automatical update. Is it possible? if yes, how? Thanks to help me.

You don't have to update the BIOS, unless you're experiencing an issue that's known to be helped/resolved by one of the newer versions. As you say, many people never update the BIOS on their computers and experience no issues.

Honestly, I would recommend just uninstalling Asus Live Update....and nVidia Update, if that's running too. It's better to manually update most drivers when you actually need or want to, rather than having those automatic utilities messing things up at the most inconvenient times. 😞

zsld0423 wrote:
Sorry, I knew you didn't make that thread but the PDF was yours 😛

Yes, I wrote the instructions. But I update the document occasionally, and it's been re-uploaded a couple times as well (the free file-host I use now limits the amount of time a file can be stored). So bottom line...the link gets renewed now & then but the one posted in that thread isn't. Since it's not my thread, I have no control over that.

(PS to Drew: I got your PM about this, but I can't seem to reply. Whenever I try to send a response, I get something about a log-in error.....:confused:)

NoukNouk wrote:
...I'm about to deactivate automatical update. Is it possible? if yes, how?

Uninstall the ASUS Live Update in Control Panel > Programs and Features.
You can also uninstall nVidia Update in the same location, if you have it and want it to.

BrodyBoy wrote:
...Yes, I wrote the instructions. But I update the document occasionally, and it's been re-uploaded a couple times as well (the free file-host I use now limits the amount of time a file can be stored). So bottom line...the link gets renewed now & then but the one posted in that thread isn't. Since it's not my thread, I have no control over that...

Brody, would it be possible for you to make your own thread for that BIOS update instructions,
and for the forum moderator to swap it with that aforementioned thread?
For reasons that are, well, obvious..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

dstrakele
Level 14
I've PM'ed @ColonelS about the Sticky Thread he created with Brody's Easy Flash .PDF document. I haven't received a response, but there may be a problem with Private Messaging as discussed in an earlier post by Brody.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT