cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Sound out and a G74SX

Werewolf13
Level 7
Is there a way to get access to the digital sound capability of the G74 other than thru the HDMI port?
7 REPLIES 7

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Werewolf13 wrote:
Is there a way to get access to the digital sound capability of the G74 other than thru the HDMI port?

The headphone port is also a mini-SPDIF port.

Werewolf13
Level 7
How would you connect to the headphone jack? All the connectors I've found are either optical or phono plug coaxial.

Werewolf13 wrote:
How would you connect to the headphone jack? All the connectors I've found are either optical or phono plug coaxial.

You can use a Toslink-to-3.5mm adapter:

or....a Toslink to mini-Toslink cable:

zaintheking
Level 7
I recently bought mini toslink adapter but the problem i am facing is that there's no red light in the port and i cant hear any sound with my headset. I checked the bios and there's no option to enable that. Kindly help me out.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Sorry, don't have the G74Sx, but have you tried setting the SPDIF as the default playback device in Win7 as in the screenshot below from my G75VW unit?
Right click the speaker icon to see the option for playback devices.

Hey all, so I don't have the SPDIF option in playback devices. I have removed most of Asus' bloatware, maybe that's the issue? Everything on tmy G74SX works great after the bloatware removal but I cannot get SPDIF working with a TOSlink connector. The port does not glow red either.

Does anyone know which drivers power this?

cdma2k
Level 7
I believe it is Realtek