cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy RAM

karn78
Level 7
Hello,

I want to buy RAM for my G75 and i see Corsair 8Go(2 x 4go) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 SODIMM Vengeance
It's a good idea? (sorry for my english :d)
thk
G75VW 2018T
GTX 660M >>>>GPU 1085MHz / RAM 3000MHz
3D mark11 P3117
12 Go ram
SSD Ocz Vertex 3 120Gb
18 REPLIES 18

john_from_ohio
Level 11
The RAM that is in there currently is 1600 ...

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Looking around a little I found this ... on retrouve ainsi 4 Go de mémoire vive DDR3 à 1600 Mhz ...

I would first install something like CPUZ ( from cpuid.com ) which can look into hardware details. On the SPD tab it should give you details about what you have currently installed ( just to double check ).

My guess is that factory installed you have 2 x 2 GB 1600 modules under the keyboard ( not easy to access at all ). If you want to leave that stuff "as is" most compatible upgrade might be 2 more 2 GB 1600 modules ... although machine may play well with 2 more 4 GB 1600 modules.

Can you check out what exactly is in your machine right now and report back ... some other more knowledgeable people might have better ideas if we get some more details.

john_from_ohio wrote:
Looking around a little I found this ... on retrouve ainsi 4 Go de mémoire vive DDR3 à 1600 Mhz ...

I would first install something like CPUZ ( from cpuid.com ) which can look into hardware details. On the SPD tab it should give you details about what you have currently installed ( just to double check ).

My guess is that factory installed you have 2 x 2 GB 1600 modules under the keyboard ( not easy to access at all ). If you want to leave that stuff "as is" most compatible upgrade might be 2 more 2 GB 1600 modules ... although machine may play well with 2 more 4 GB 1600 modules.

Can you check out what exactly is in your machine right now and report back ... some other more knowledgeable people might have better ideas if we get some more details.

i have one 4gb 1600 dimm in g75, so want add 2 more extra 4gb dimm.
G75VW 2018T
GTX 660M >>>>GPU 1085MHz / RAM 3000MHz
3D mark11 P3117
12 Go ram
SSD Ocz Vertex 3 120Gb

I'm currently running without page file 🙂 and the stock 8gb of ram, and it works just great!
Ill probably add 8 extra gb, just to make sure that i never run out of memory.
Asus G75VW-BBK5 🙂

Asus G53SW Old Laptop

elyasib
Level 7
karn78 wrote:
Hello,

I want to buy RAM for my G75 and i see Corsair 8Go(2 x 4go) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 SODIMM Vengeance
It's a good idea? (sorry for my english :d)
thk

I wouldn't recommend you to buy those dimms, because even being 1866MHz, the frequency will be limited by the slowest memory on your system (in your case 1600MHz), so those 266 extra MHz are pointless, at least that you are planning to replace the hidden dimms, which btw would void your warranty. I would rater buy 2x4gb 1600Mhz (or 2x8gb 1600Mhz) and deactivate the virtual memory alocated in the HD, probably saving energy, making your program's response faster and saving the life of your SSD (in case you have).
Asus G75VW-BBK5 🙂

Asus G53SW Old Laptop

elyasib wrote:
I wouldn't recommend you to buy those dimms, because even being 1866MHz, the frequency will be limited by the slowest memory on your system (in your case 1600MHz), so those 266 extra MHz are pointless, at least that you are planning to replace the hidden dimms, which btw would void your warranty. I would rater buy 2x4gb 1600Mhz (or 2x8gb 1600Mhz) and deactivate the virtual memory alocated in the HD, probably saving energy, making your program's response faster and saving the life of your SSD (in case you have).

Thanks for posting that information. Can you give more regarding getting 2x8gb 1600mhz and deactivating the virtual memory allocated in the HD. I'm still new at this, please explain the last part more as I'm thinking of getting soon for my computer.

yixingchen wrote:
Thanks for posting that information. Can you give more regarding getting 2x8gb 1600mhz and deactivating the virtual memory allocated in the HD. I'm still new at this, please explain the last part more as I'm thinking of getting soon for my computer.

Well first of all, if you want to have 24gb of ram on your system, you must have a OS that recognizes it (windows pro or ultimate). In order to decrease the amount or deactivate the virtual memory (in win 7) you should follow these steps http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory.

The virtual memory acts as a ram memory (in your HD) when your computer hasn't enough physical memory.
I am not an expert but as long as I understand its existence is not justified in systems with large amounts of RAM. Since part of the data of your running applications is allocated in that virtual memory, using pure (or almost pure) physical memory should theorically increase the responsiveness of your OS, posibly produce a slightly decrease in the power draw (if you have a mechanical HD), or save a little of the of your SSD's life . I can´t tell you how much it will make a difference since I havent tried it my self, but it would be interesting if some one tried it and shared the results. :cool:

Regards

P.S. Here's a explanation from Microsoft about Virtual Memory http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-virtual-memory
Asus G75VW-BBK5 🙂

Asus G53SW Old Laptop

Yeah, I'm planning to upgrade to win ult first. I will give it try and post results here. Also to clarify, the computer won't recognize the ram until I change the virtual memory? So I have to allocate, according to that page, 3 times more than the ram I will be getting which is 3 x 24gb?

Cool! I'm doing it too (as soon as save enough money).
Asus G75VW-BBK5 🙂

Asus G53SW Old Laptop