cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G53SW - (supposed) graphic card issues

sci3ntist
Level 7
Hi guys!

First message for me here, so first, I would like to thank the forum community for all the interesting things we can find over here.

Then, I am asking for your help, since I am having some -difficult to identify- issues with my dear G53SW.

Since a few days, I am having some crashes that I think are related to the GPU:

- The computer crashes when I am watching some flash on the internet: it's like a big ****ing mess with some pixels and random colors everywhere (I had similar crashes in the past, with a GPU that was about 110° C when playing...) ;
- Some program I had never seen before starts sometimes: WinSAT, and turns off the Aero theme of Win7 (like my computer can't handle it...) ;
- My fans seem to make more noise, mostly in idle ;

I didn't overclocked anything, and I am using the 296.16 graphic driver for my GPU (I did get it from here).

Here I am. If anyone can help me to identify the problem, eventually fix it, that would be awesome!

PS. Could that be related to that: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and... ?

Thanks.
Asus G53SW
5 REPLIES 5

PILGRIM
Level 11
Try doing a System Restore to a time when the notebook was working well.
If not, try reverting to the factory setting of your nVidia driver to see if its a GPU driver issue.

If it's a hardware issue, a repaste of the GPU might be imminent.
How old is your notebook?
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Hi,

it is not that old: 11 months

How do I revert the factory settings of my nVidia driver?

Thanks.
Asus G53SW

PILGRIM
Level 11
Install the VGA nVidia driver from the Driver DVD that came with your notebook.
If you don't have it, download it from ASUS download site:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G53SW&p=3&s=282&os=30&hashedid=G6mnE1WGzWUBqosT

Another way is to downgrade your 296.16 to 285.62 WHQL.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Alright, I am gonna try that, hope that will fix the problems.

Thanks.
Asus G53SW

netossc
Level 7
This is my first post, sorry for spelling errors, I'm using google translate.
This week I took a G53SX that had sold for a client here in Brazil, had the same problem sci3ntist said that, when accessed the youtube video crashed the video driver stopped responding, formatted it from scratch, I used the recovery, and clonei my HD (it is also a G53SX with an SSD) that is working perfectly in every way and always gave the same problem, I used all the available bios, upgrade and downgrade did not finally resolved, yesterday withdrew the memory that is below keyboard, I auditioned, I watched the rock in rio lisboa at youtube with four windows open running youtube videos and so far not caught, ran the Furmark and maximum temperature was 89C, does about 26 hours he's calling running youtube alternating between videos, maximizing and minimizing screens and this normal, is not with the last nvidia driver, but I believe that driver is not because he was experiencing the problem with this driver and removed the memory dpeois that ended the problem by please try this test, it was bought asus xoticpc in memory and that was in the slot below the keyboard was a 2GB that they added no cost at the time the notebook was left with two combs original 4GB and 1 2GB of xoticpc, will keep doing tests this week before returning to the client, inform any news here. Thanks and good luck.