cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headphone Gain Setting Question

tboo72
Level 7
I've had my Phoebus now for a week & it has been relatively trouble free. No problems at all gaming with this card & it sounds good. It also sounds great when I hook up my Sennheiser HD525 headphones. I have run into the problem where the software doesn't seem to save my gain setting for the headphones. The 525s have a 150ohm impedance. Right now, every time I hook up my headphones, I have to go into the Phoebus software & manually change the gain setting. It would be nice if there was some way to save that setting.
9 REPLIES 9

Jandenengelsman
Level 7
Hey There,

Got the same problem! After restarting my pc the gain settings are back too normal. Even after installing the new software from the asus site.
But I got a difrent question, I got a Sennheiser PC360 G4ME heatset, the inpendance is 50ohm, so when i run everything on normal i'm not that impresset of the sound, it's really detailt but not that powerfull!
first i got a corsair vengance 1500 7.1 just on usb and i think it sounds maybe even better and more clearly(sorry to say). I really thougt that my new Phoebus and Sennheiser heatset should blow me away!? but it did not!
Only when i activate the gain settings fot 64-150ohm it's gonna sound much more powerfull, but can i run it that way cause my heatset is 50ohm?? Or will that take damage too my heatset??

Hope some of you guys got some answer!!

Tnx allready! btw Republic of Gamers ROCKS!!
Coolermaster HAF 922 | Corsair PSU Gaming GS800W | Asus Sabertooth X58 | i7 950 | Corsair Dominator 12GB(6x2) 1600 MHz DDR3 CL8 | 2x Corsair Force F120 120GB 2.5" SATA2 RAID 0 | ASUS ROG GeForce GTX580 Matrix | ASUS ROG Phoebus | Sennheiser PC360 G4ME | Logitech Z5500 5.1 | Logitech G500 | Logitech G19 | Acer GD245HQAbid@120Hz

Raja
Level 13
The gain option is something I requested to have a fix option for. For safety sake I think HQ stuck with pulling it down as there is no way for hardware/software to know what kind of gain is ideal for the phones being used. If someone were to switch or plug in different devices having it at base by default at least covers that.

As for using a higher gain than the reported nominal impedance for the phones, this simply provides you with a greater range of volume. Unless the drivers are planar, the impedance of the transducers will vary with frequency. If you have a set of phones that has an input impedance between two of the gain settings then using the higher gain setting may be more optimal, just keep the volume at a level that is safe to hear.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The gain option is something I requested to have a fix option for. For safety sake I think HQ stuck with pulling it down as there is no way for hardware/software to know what kind of gain is ideal for the phones being used. If someone were to switch or plug in different devices having it at base by default at least covers that.

As for using a higher gain than the reported nominal impedance for the phones, this simply provides you with a greater range of volume. Unless the drivers are planar, the impedance of the transducers will vary with frequency. If you have a set of phones that has an input impedance between two of the gain settings then using the higher gain setting may be more optimal, just keep the volume at a level that is safe to hear.

-Raja

Hi Raja,

The gain option is not fixed in the new BETA driver. Did they forget or are there other reasons? Now we stil have to set it manuel after a restart.

Jan
Coolermaster HAF 922 | Corsair PSU Gaming GS800W | Asus Sabertooth X58 | i7 950 | Corsair Dominator 12GB(6x2) 1600 MHz DDR3 CL8 | 2x Corsair Force F120 120GB 2.5" SATA2 RAID 0 | ASUS ROG GeForce GTX580 Matrix | ASUS ROG Phoebus | Sennheiser PC360 G4ME | Logitech Z5500 5.1 | Logitech G500 | Logitech G19 | Acer GD245HQAbid@120Hz

Jandenengelsman wrote:
Hi Raja,

The gain option is not fixed in the new BETA driver. Did they forget or are there other reasons? Now we stil have to set it manuel after a restart.

Jan

To save Raja repeating himself :), The only bug reports the team recieved were about BF 3 and Punkbuster. If you have another issue submit a bug report form which Raja has been kind enough to sticky for us in this section, your bugs will not be fixed without a form.

Jandenengelsman wrote:
Hi Raja,

Jan

I don't think this is going to be patched to save people from screwing up their phones. It is not really a bug anyway. The software has no way to tell what type of phone have been plugged in. And when DC is removed the output is lifted so there is no way to tell whether the phones hae been changed out or not. Just something you will have to live with.

Even if you disagree with me, as far as requests go, I would rate this as a very low priority right now. The first thing I think the team will work on next is S/PDIF.

And what Silver Wolf says is correct with regards to other "bugs". A full report needs to be submitted either to the email box in the sticky thread or via your local ASUS support center.

Tnx Raja,

I can live with it, but just like the rest I want a perfect driver too, and cause you said yourself "The gain option is something I requested to have a fix option for." thats why i did not filled up the form for that one.

So sorry Silver Wolf, you just have too read the whole thread before you judge! 😉

But yesterday I filled in the form and sent it too Asus cause there are more bugs in the new driver, it mix up youtube stereo sound automaticly up to all my 5.1 speakers even when all surround settings are off. but when i set my sample rate too 44.1 Khz it is back too stereo.. but when i play music on from my hd it's stereo all the way.

But well we wait for the next update! at least I happy i'm not a battlefield fan, so i didn't had that much troubels yet! 🙂

Jan

x7007
Level 7
For me the >150ohms stays and does not reset .

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
Sorry Janden I did read the entire thread I just missed that bit in Raja's post (Domestic blindness ftl XD). Aside from that I can see both point of views here, it would be nice to have that option saved but at the same time I can see people destroying their headphones because the option is saved too high and then trying to blame it on Asus it's a tough call on what to do.

Raja
Level 13
That's exactly the concerns. It only takes a couple of seconds to set it back, so I have no real concern over this at this point.