cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding purchasing g74 from amazon.

Shane
Level 7
I have done months of research on desktop replacement laptops and have come to the conclusion that the Asus g74sx is the all-around best choice for what I want. The cooling system in the RoG laptops are amazing and to get a laptop with the equivalent specs from a different brand would cost several hundred dollars more. To me, there just isn't a better choice to go with. I have not purchased an Asus before and none of the local retailers in my area have the G-series on their shelves. Because I can't physically handle the laptop, I am concerned with the product I will receive from ordering online.
I have never dropped $1500 on something over the internet so I am hesitant for that factor alone. I have two options that I need some help or just opinions on which would be the most advantageous choice because I do not know how reliable the USED laptops on Amazon are. I am more inclined to throw down the extra $200 to buy a new one to get the extra year warranty and so there are as few defects as possible. If anyone can provide me with some guidance or their personal experience in buying new vs. used products over Amazon, that would be a huge help for me.

The options available are listed below. I do not care about Blu-ray, as I do not watch movies from my computers. And the difference of 12-16gb of RAM doesn't seem too important. Also, the difference in hard-drive space is practically irrelevant to me because I have played on a machine for the last 8 years that has less than 200gb of space. So either option would be a huge improvement.

The first option is the G74SX-AH71:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UUS6MO/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

This rig has 16gb of RAM, 750gb HDD, NO Blu-ray, and only a 1 year Asus Global Warranty.
There are several USED laptops available for purchase. One of them being sold from Amazon Warehouse Deals in "Like-New" condition for just over $1300.

The second option is the G74SX-DH71:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PAJI4Y/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

This rig has 12gb of RAM, 1.5tb HDD, Blu-ray enabled, and a 2 year Asus Global Warranty.
There are several NEW and USED laptops available. Buying it new would cost $1550, but there are "Like-New" options sold from Amazon Warehouse Deals for just under $1300.
9 REPLIES 9

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi and Welcome to the ROG Community @Shane 🙂

The G74SX is a very good laptop as you have described, but keep in mind if you play any games that need the num lock key, then that notebook doesn't have it =/
(it needs a BIOS fix, and Asus haven't released one yet... if I'm not wrong)

But since you're going to buy a new notebook, why won't you go for a G75? 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

I have read about the numerous problems people have with the G74 concerning the numpad and the num-lock key. I play Diablo 3 and WoW, but I rarely if ever use the num-lock key and the numpad for key bindings, so for me it's really not an issue. I like the keyboard of the 74 much better than the 73 because of the extra spacing between keys. And the problems regarding the touchpad are not an issue for me either because I would be using a mouse 100% of the time.

Also, I have not read much about the new 75's that have been released. My thoughts were to stick with the 74 only because it has been out longer and therefore most of the problems concerning that specific model have already been addressed and solutions are likely to be easier to find.

I don't know what the pricing is like for the G75's. I assumed it would be at least a few hundred dollars more and I want to try and stick with a budget of $1500.

fuzon1337
Level 10
The most common issue with the G75VW is the sound, but Asus is working on an fix for that .... I think 😛 (because of this thread

Okey, so I looked into the G75VW and in the english online sites I could only find models with GTX 660M (kepler technology) for under $1500, and models over $1500 comes with GTX 670M.
Here you can see the difference between GTX 660M (G55VW) and GTX560M (G53SX):
http://www.bestgaminglaptop.net/news/gtx-660m-benchmarks-g55vw-vs-g53sx/

But I'm not so good with these online stores, so perhaps other members in this forum can help you out to choose which G74 you can go for 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

amazon is a good place aslong as the square trade warranty applies. though if possible i would buy new. Keep in mind I bought a used one off craigslist.

I was looking to purchase a new AH71 but the last one got sold unfortunately. So now I am leaning towards the used "like-new" version that is fulfilled by Amazon. My only concern is the quality of the product since it is not new. I have read mixed reviews of people who went the route of a used laptop. Some received laptops with scratches on the screen and nicks all over the casing. But I suppose Amazon will either refund or exchange it if I am unhappy with what I receive.

Also, I looked at some 75's and the GTX 660M only has 2gb vram rather than 3gb in the GTX 560M in the G74.

Boosted_R
Level 8
amazon is a good place to buy, bought mine from amazon new...... g75 has problems so beware, asus wont fix hardware issues, from the history of the G74.... don't buy the G74 expecting a bios fix to the num lock issue, its not going to happen.......people have been waiting since summer of 2011. Good luck
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

I want to buy a new g74sx-dh71 on Amazon but can anyone tell me, under the "new" listings of seller information, the difference between buying directly from Amazon or another company such as "Data Vision" or "PC Rush?"

Does the 2 year ASUS Global Warranty and the 1 year ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) Warranty still apply through the other dealers? Also, will the product be guaranteed under Amazon seeing as the listings are on their website?

chrsplmr
Level 18
The G75 is the New G .. its that simple.
I see no evidence of 'issues with the G75, stay away' ..
yes, sound
that appears to be software glitch is being worked out .. other than that ..
what ?
If the price is comparative, and most are ... the G75 is the way to go.
There are both models .. 2gb .. and 3gb GPU's .. btw.

You will have to inquire directly to Amazon for those answers I would think
about their policies specifically.

What Country are you in ?

Welcome to ROGforum .. pardon my manners.c.

Unfortunately my price range is only $1300-1600 and the only G75's I have found that are in that range only have the 2gb GPU while the 75's in the $2000 range have the 3gb GPU.
Both the AS71 and the DS71 only come with the 2gb 660.
I am an avid gamer so I would prefer to only have the 3gb 660.

Also, I am located in the U.S.