cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 on G74sx

Bulldozer
Level 7
Upgrading to Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 on G74sx

In reference to this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...i+g74sxhttp://
I have just ordered a Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - and just wanted to be sure that I am installing it right.

The PCIe looks like this:

The question is, should the antennas be connected to the two places marked with the red square - see pic.
If so what is the middle connection meant fore (marked on the PCIe card as 3)

In addition to this should I consider anything ells with this upgrade.

When completely uninstalling the old Wlan driver should this do it:
1. Uninstalling the Atheros Client
2. Uninstalling the Atheros Bluetooth
3. Uninstalling the Akamai Netsession Interface (is this necessary?)
4. Uninstalling the driver for the Wlan in device manager

Thanks in advance

//Bull
4 REPLIES 4

Bulldozer
Level 7
Anybody ? - see above!

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi @Bullsozer

It looks like you have done this before ^^
What I did on my G73SW was to uninstall all Atheros software, then uninstalled it from device manager, turned off the notebook and inserted the new WiFi card 🙂

I would recommend you to download the latest driver to Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 since then you don't have to use a ethernet cable to connect the internet to get the driver 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

You are right about the antenas, they should be connected to 1 & 2. The card will prioritize always the lower number, and fallback on the others if needed...

it is quite nice that it came with a 3rd though, you could put an external antena conector using a pigtail (given that you are out of warranty and don't mind drilling a side of the notebook to place a female rp-sma port) and still have both antenas that came with the notebook connected... i did that on my old hp notebook, but it only had 2 antena outputs...

Bulldozer
Level 7
Thanks for the help both of you - just needed to be sure.
I actually never melded with a notebook before this one, which is about at month old. But I have done some hardware replacement on stationary com's so that helps a little 🙂
Thanks for the explanation of the third antenna connection - maybe I will do that when I bye a new notebook.

//Bull