cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live update killed my USB ports

Griffin
Level 7
Stupidly I used live update and installed all the 7 updates for the G75 to then end up loosing the usb ports which were fine prior

The error in device manager is:
A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

This is for both of the intel 7 series / C216 chipset family usb enhanced host controller 1E26 and 1E2D as well as the intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller

I have downloaded both the chipset and usb drivers from ASUS site and both ran the installer and manually tried to update to no avail

The USB works till it hit windows and wont run anything including hard drives and mice
24 REPLIES 24

dstrakele
Level 14
Try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the ASUS Live Update. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore for more details on this feature.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

kiba
Level 10
I would just like to say thank you to the OP for warning me of this issue so that I could uninstall liveupdate along with the rest of the bloatware I didnt need, It seems like you saved me a headache.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

I too had this same exact problem. Just a heads up I was unable to restore and recover. Took it to Geek Squad and they too couldn't restore. They said they order me a new one, hopefully tomorrow I'll receive it. I to was informed its best to uninstall the ASUS live updater.

Anyone reading this uninstall the Live Updater?, and if so what were your steps you took to remove it and have you had any problems since?...

Thanks.

Detok wrote:

Anyone reading this uninstall the Live Updater?, and if so what were your steps you took to remove it and have you had any problems since?...

Just a regular program that you uninstall by going to control panel ==> Programs and Features ... find it and right click on it to uninstall it ...

Arvinaaaaa
Level 7
actually, live update sucks 😛

Registered just to reply to this issue. Had the same problem, used ASUS live update and USB3 ports didn't work. I actually fixed it, and I didn't need to return the unit to Best Buy.

I went to the ASUS support site and downloaded the newest intel USB driver for the G75. Uninstalled the old drivers using the device manager on the control panel, and then reinstalled the ones from the ASUS website. Rebooted and USB was back to normal, and tested perfectly with USB1/2/3 devices.

I subsequently uninstalled LiveUpdate to prevent the same issue.

Hey everyone,
I would like to report that I too had the same USB issue with my G75 after an Asus live update USB 3.0 driver update. I called customer support and they recommended a system restore as well.
System restore DID fix the problem. Good luck,

Chris

My usb ports killed themselves. I removed the live update several weeks ago. Yesterday i got the bsod, followed by automatic disabling of controller/all usb ports. This is the second time this has happened.
Is there now way around this, other than to do a system restore/clean install?

And by the way - Asus what the f**k is this s**t?

This may help.

I had similar problems with not getting my devices to connect, after this update, it worked fine.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129