cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Gaming PC Build, MOBO and Processor? HELP!!!

PSYCHOSOC1AL13
Level 7
To start off I just made two huge changes. Just switched from Mac to PC and also added PC as a gaming platform besides my preferred gaming console(s). With that being said I'm very confused on where to start. I've been looking at a lot of videos and specs for ROG MOBOs and I'm having a hard time choosing one. My current PC is not really meant for gaming and it has a AMD FX 6100 6-Core Processor, 3.3 6 Socket AM3+ so I thought about the Crosshair V MOBO since it is already compatible for it. But technology is always changing and the new MOBOs are Intel based, I really like the Maximus V Gene and the Rampage IV Gene. Since I have no past experience with PC gaming I am clueless to whether there's really any difference between an AMD or and Intel based gaming system. Or if this just really something that is just dependent on a person's preference. So what I'm really looking for is advise.

PS- I have a Steam account and I just became a Diablo III addict :rolleyes:
"Don't Tread on Me" PSYCHOSOC1AL13 :cool:
16 REPLIES 16

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG forum!

For gaming reasons, I don't think it would be any difference between an AMD or Intel based system... Those mobo's you mentioned are all high end products and would run your games without any problems.

I think, you have to decide which system are you going for...

Zka17 wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forum!

For gaming reasons, I don't think it would be any difference between an AMD or Intel based system... Those mobo's you mentioned are all high end products and would run your games without any problems.

I think, you have to decide which system are you going for...

I've decided to stick with the AMD FX 6100 6-Core processor I already have and the Crosshair V MOBO.

wolverine7074
Level 9
I would say since you already have a AMD CPU the cost would be lower if you went with the Crosshair.
The age old battle of what CPU, its alot like the battle of Chevy and Ford or even Mac Vs PC if you will. lol some will say Intel is better and others will say AMD but its realy up to you. I am an AMD guy and always have been and im not saying Intel is junk in any way. I have used both but like I said since you have a AMD as it is why not go with AMD. I have a AMD 6 core with a CrossHair V Formula and im very happy with it it does every thing i need it to do and have yet to have a problem. All i will say is what ever CPU you go with, Asus has a well built board for you even if you do not go with a R.O.G. based motherboard ASUS has many to chose from.
Good luck with the switch from Mac to PC, Besides with a Mac you crash differently lol
Mobo: Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD FX-8120 8 Core 3.1 GHz
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 DDR3
VGA: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti X2
Optical: Asus DVD Burner Combo Drive X2
SSD: Corsair Force SATA III 120GB
HDD: Seagate SATA III 1TB Storage
Cooling: Corsair H100 Hydro CPU Cooler
Case: CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced
PSU: Silencer Mk II 750 W

wolverine7074 wrote:
I would say since you already have a AMD CPU the cost would be lower if you went with the Crosshair.
The age old battle of what CPU, its alot like the battle of Chevy and Ford or even Mac Vs PC if you will. lol some will say Intel is better and others will say AMD but its realy up to you. I am an AMD guy and always have been and im not saying Intel is junk in any way. I have used both but like I said since you have a AMD as it is why not go with AMD. I have a AMD 6 core with a CrossHair V Formula and im very happy with it it does every thing i need it to do and have yet to have a problem. All i will say is what ever CPU you go with, Asus has a well built board for you even if you do not go with a R.O.G. based motherboard ASUS has many to chose from.
Good luck with the switch from Mac to PC, Besides with a Mac you crash differently lol

True, lol we have that old age vehicle battle at home also. I like Chevy and he likes Ford :rolleyes: With that being said I'll be ordering my Crosshair V MOBO tonight :cool: Thanks for the reply.

PS- "Good luck with the switch from Mac to PC, Besides with a Mac you crash differently lol" I loved this, lmao!

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Welcome to the world of confusing computer hardware and related tech!!! now, you actually have choices to make...rather than buying an overpriced proprietary system 😛 There is a wealth of information to be found and learnt here and above all, we are always happy to help our fellow RoG'rs! 😄 if you are ever unsure about anything, just ask and we'll be more than happy to help you out and guide you to RoG bliss.

PS love the screen name, huge fan of the "knot" \m/

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Welcome to the world of confusing computer hardware and related tech!!! now, you actually have choices to make...rather than buying an overpriced proprietary system 😛 There is a wealth of information to be found and learnt here and above all, we are always happy to help our fellow RoG'rs! 😄 if you are ever unsure about anything, just ask and we'll be more than happy to help you out and guide you to RoG bliss.

PS love the screen name, huge fan of the "knot" \m/

A lot of choices indeed :cool: Great to see another "knot" fan in this forum. I also use my screen name for networking and gaming identities. I'm currently searching for either a HHD or SDD for my future build. Might just use a SSD for boot and HHD for storage. Don't know if it may be wise or affordable to use a SSD for both :rolleyes:

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Nah, not a good idea to use SSD for data and OS....im pretty new to using them, but I have been reading everywhere that while SSD's are fantastic....you can over work them, when you fill one beyond a certain point (some people say 50-60% others say 80%) then things eventually go wrong. SSD's are great at load times, boot times and general other tasks...but it's always best to use an HDD for your storage needs 🙂

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Nah, not a good idea to use SSD for data and OS....im pretty new to using them, but I have been reading everywhere that while SSD's are fantastic....you can over work them, when you fill one beyond a certain point (some people say 50-60% others say 80%) then things eventually go wrong. SSD's are great at load times, boot times and general other tasks...but it's always best to use an HDD for your storage needs 🙂

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Will use SSD for boot and HDD for data :cool:

wolverine7074
Level 9
Im still up in the air about SSD I know they have the performance but I sometimes question the reliability so im still running spinners Im glade you stuck with the AMD.

HEY INTEL GUYS......... Team AMD is one more stronger lol Just kidding 😛 :rolleyes:
Mobo: Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD FX-8120 8 Core 3.1 GHz
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 DDR3
VGA: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti X2
Optical: Asus DVD Burner Combo Drive X2
SSD: Corsair Force SATA III 120GB
HDD: Seagate SATA III 1TB Storage
Cooling: Corsair H100 Hydro CPU Cooler
Case: CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced
PSU: Silencer Mk II 750 W