cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73Jw-A1 Hard Lockup during gameplay

Lethals
Level 7
Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums. I purchased a G3Jw-A1 from Tigerdirect.ca about two months ago. Yesterday, after moving my steam files over to the Data partition on my first Harddisk, my computer hardlocked and emitted a loud looping "buzzing" sound and required a manual reboot while I was playing CoD: Black Ops. No blue/grey screen appeared. I just attributed the problem to instability from moving my steam program files out of OS (C;), and moved them back to (C:), resetting the clientregistry again. Today, while playing WoW, the same thing occured. The screen just froze up, and, once again, the speakers emitted the loud buzzing noise. I'm not sure what's causing this... and I'm coming here for help.

Edit: Also, three days ago, I just received a new AC adapter after I had to RMA my old one because it burned out.

Edit2: Just happened again, but this time iw as just watching a youtube video. The screen froze without it going grey/black as well.
3 REPLIES 3

Retired
Not applicable
Yeah, I've actually been having the exact same problem. Has only occurred very recently as well. Before the lock ups started, I had problems shutting down where the laptop would just hang at the "shutdown" screen and would need to be turned off via the power button physically. I am suspecting a windows update was the cause of this...

Zack Lem wrote:
Yeah, I've actually been having the exact same problem. Has only occurred very recently as well. Before the lock ups started, I had problems shutting down where the laptop would just hang at the "shutdown" screen and would need to be turned off via the power button physically. I am suspecting a windows update was the cause of this...

You have some program or process that is not shutting down. What you can do is try and shutdown processes with Task Manager one at a time until you discover the culprit.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity wrote:
You have some program or process that is not shutting down. What you can do is try and shutdown processes with Task Manager one at a time until you discover the culprit.

Mmm, that would a bit hard though as this occurs randomly :S However I am beginning to suspect that my Logitech G35 USB Headphones may be the culprit as I always have it plugged in, even if not being used. So far from having it unplugged, the shutdown hangs have not occurred, but like I said the hangs are very random..will update on the situation in a couple of days. Thanks for the help Chastity, though my main concern is the one that both Lethals and myself are experiencing, the symptoms are exactly the same - down to the looping buzzing sound and the occurrences in both gaming and watching youtube videos. Would you have any ideas as to what could be causing this?