DeChe
Level 7
Hey Guys n Gals,

The setup i'm trying to build currently is:

Rampage IV Extreme
WD 300GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s VELOCIRAPTOR Hard Drive - 10,000RPM x2
WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive
Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD

Now all these drives are SATA 3 (6GB) compatible and the MB internal controllers are as such:
Intel® X79 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red

The Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD is plugged into SATA6G_1.
The WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive is plugged into SATA6G_2
The 2 Velociraptor drives are plugged into SATA3G_3 & 4
SATAG_1 & 2 are occupied by optical drives.
Nothing is in the ASMedia Controller.

My goal is to load Window 7 Home Premium onto the SSD, RAID0 the 2 Raptor drives and have the 2TB as storage.

I have tried installing Windows while in AHCI Mode on the BIOS (BIOS Version 1305, latest). This loaded Windows and booted all ok, however when then trying to switch to RAID Mode after the Windows bootup logo appears the PC BSOD. After reading some forums I found the general consensus is that you cant load Windows in AHCI and then change to RAID.

So last night I installed Windows in RAID Mode, having to install the RAID Controller Drivers via USB. Windows installs, it then says it needs to restart to complete installation however I get this error:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1 Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2 Choose your langauge settings, and then click "Next".
3 Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\drivers\iaStorA.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt."

Now I have a iaStorA.sys on the USB but no idea how or where to put it into. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for responses,

DeChe.
2 REPLIES 2

Zka17
Level 16

Anicra
Level 7
I know this not going to be the answer of answers. I had a similar problem when I used the newest Intel raid drivers from Asus r4 site. On my first install, I had a crash. I reinstalled Windows 7 64 using the most recent Enterprise Raid driver 3.1.0.1068 from Intel. Maybe it will help. I had a problem with a flash drive and phone causing the system not to boot, long story for later.

I7 5960X/Asus RE5u3.1 -3101/64gb(16x4)@3133 @1.39V Gskill 14-15-16-36 cr2/3xTitanX/ WD RE 6.0 TB RAID 0+1/Samsung 840 Pro 256 x2 Raid 0/Samsung 850pro M.2/Asus Essence One/Corsair Ax1500 PSU /Corsair Obs 9800D case/ 3 2xRad 120x3 and 120x1/ EK MB block/AquaC Kryos CPU/Koolance GPU x2/ Bay 452x2(ver2) (2x655 serial)