cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8-pin ATX 12V power connector

MindsEye
Level 7
My Crossfire came with 4 of the holes "plugged" with a plastic insert. I have a Tagan Piperock 700W PSU that has a splittable plug that can be wither 4 or 8 pin depending on whether or not I slide one 4 pin onto the other or not.

Should I pull out the plug thing and connect all 8 pins from my PSU? Why are 4 of the pins plugged to begin with? I am afraid that it is that way for a reason and don't want to harm my mobo..

Appreciate any help on this.

///Mike.
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
4 pins are covered to protect them from dust if you only have a 4 pin connector. Since you have an 8 pin connector you should remove the cover and connect all 8.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

MindsEye
Level 7
Thank you for the quick answer. One more question, I only have 1 graphics card installed Do i need to put power to the 4 plug "quick connect" molex type connections on the mainboard? My PSU has twin connectors for the power for the gfx card, I assume that will provide wenough power for the graphics card, but perhaps these are for extra power to the mainboard? the manual wasnt very clear on what exactly these are for.

xeromist
Nope, that's only needed for multiple GPU's and even then you could probably do without it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Building my first PC I was very confused about this myself. I tried to remove the other side that was plugged. It was either glued shut or very tight. I only plugged in the one four pin plug, so far everything is working fine. Which now raises this question. Should I try to install the other plug? I will be getting another video card for crossfire. At that point do I need the second one plugged in?

xeromist
You should not need to but it certainly couldn't hurt. I would examine the cover to see how it is hinged or clipped. Perhaps it comes off easier with the right touch. 🙂

Retired
Not applicable
Ok, once I get that second card Ill look at it. Ill have to look into them molex plug-ins as well. I need to keep reading the manual. Thanks!

Retired
Not applicable
Yep! It came right off! 😉 Thanks! Oh, I did install that second plug to the EATX12V 8 pin power connector. 😉