cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73jh Boot Times with New SSD

Cyberdactyl
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought and installed a 512gb Crucial M4 SSD. I used Crucial's transfer cable and cloned my HDD to the M4. It went in a booted up effortlessly. No problems there.

It is indeed fast, but not as fast as I had hoped. The original HDD booted from power on to the desktop and usability in about 1:20 with no real tweaking for faster time. The SSD without any tweaking booted in about 55 seconds. After doing most of the recommended tweaking, I've gotten the boot time down to around 46 seconds. However, from reading around, that still seems somewhat slow. I was hoping for ~30s.

I was wondering if the ASUS Quick Boot or something else was hiding in the boot sequence and choking the boot time.

Also, since I did a clone, I have that rather large backup space going to waste. Is there anyway to open it up for use without doing a full reinstall.

Thanks for any help.
2 REPLIES 2

Cyberdactyl
Level 7
Disabled ASUS' 'Fast Boot' and the 'Smart Logon', as well as enabled TRIM and got my time from power-on to usable desktop to 34 sec.

Shutdown in about 5-6 seconds.

About what I was hoping for. 🙂

zsld0423
Level 9
Nice! Glad you got your boot times lower, I know I love having awesome boot times with my SSD 😄 1 program I've used to determine what was eating up my boot time before was Soluto, and it also allows you to disable certain applications from startup, or delay them. And it'll tell you how long each particular application takes to start up. For me on Windows 7, I'd usually boot and Soluto would tell me it boots in about 25sec, but I don't think that's including the POST. So right about where you're at now 😄 I just installed the Windows 8 Release Preview yesterday, and now my boot times are easily under 15 seconds, it's quite nice haha
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate