cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus vs. EVGA vs. ASRock?

DarkSacred
Level 7
I'm looking at what Z77 board to get, due to the constraints of my colour scheme (sad I know) I'm pretty much stuck between the following three ATX / eATX boards. (I'm not considering the smaller Maximum Gene as its small and looks silly in a 650D). I plan a mild overclock of an i5 3570K to around the 4.5-4.7ghz area with cooling provided by a H100. Typical 8gb of RAM and going to be sticking a single GTX 680 air cooled into the mix. 850w modular PSU and a soundcard of some discription.

The three boards I'm considering are the EVGA Z77 FTW, ASRock Fatal1ty Pro or the Asus Maximus V Formula.

What are your guys opinions on the above boards and with them three as my "choices" which should I be going for?

Thanks,
Sacred
Digital Devil
8 REPLIES 8

Zka17
Level 16
DarkSacred, welcome in the Asus ROG forum!

Now, sincerely, what answer do you really expect on an Asus forum? Other than "of course, Asus Maximus V Formula!" 😛

Although you may found some people here who tried other mobos too...

Zka17 wrote:
DarkSacred, welcome in the Asus ROG forum!

Now, sincerely, what answer do you really expect on an Asus forum? Other than "of course, Asus Maximus V Formula!" 😛

Although you may found some people here who tried other mobos too...

Was just hoping for some general advice especially since most people here will have tried multiple boards.

My current board is a P5Q Pro and I must admit coupled with my E8500 its been pretty damn good! But with Z77 now out, I'm looking for an upgrade I wanted to get some advice before splashing out on a new setup.

I know here will have the usual fan boys who will say Asus regardless, but I want to know WHY Asus not just the typical fanboy responce of because its better or because they are unable to look outside of the box and compare other manufacturers.
Digital Devil

chrsplmr
Level 18
.... ummm. World Records.

Have you noticed how the 'also-rans' adopted the Black & Red ?
Are they trying to say they are just like 'them'? hahaha Cuz they are not.

As to FanBoy ? hahahhaa ... with cause. World Records.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
.... ummm. World Records.

Have you noticed how the 'also-rans' adopted the Black & Red ?
Are they trying to say they are just like 'them'? hahaha Cuz they are not.

As to FanBoy ? hahahhaa ... with cause. World Records.c.

See this is that type of responce I was trying to avoid you offer nothing to the topic, no insight to the differences between the boards or as to why I should choose one over the other.
Also you totally neglected to consider my personal requirements for the board as listed above, no where did I say I was strapping this board down to a workbench, cranking out some newfangled liquid nitrogen cooler and trying to satisfy my epeen on some stupid world record overclock that serves no purpose in reality or is even sustainable when actually using it as a desktop computer for gaming.
Digital Devil

Zka17
Level 16
You know, DarkSacred, what is the real problem with your request? It's hard to compare mobos which were not released yet...

I was trying to get some more infos about specifications, but turned out that in this moment I could only buy the ASRock... I could see the specs of the EVGA too (didn't find yet anywhere to buy it though), but there are only guesses about the Asus mobo - perhaps we will know more about it next week (check this: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16457-ROG-Teasers-Computex-2012&country=&status=)

So, by then the ASRock is the only player in this game - and as such, the best one in this comparison started by you (I maintain my rights to change my opinion next week 🙂 )

On the link provided above, however, I'm seeing something why I would choose to stay with Asus: the hybrid factory designed heatsink - can go watercooling without the need to buy extra waterblock. :cool:

wolverine7074
Level 9
I must put my 2 cent in now
I am by no means an expert in computers but I have been in the game a long time to know a few things I have used many other board brands to only find one thing that remains a fact, Just like in the automotive industry all brands have their problems (as im an Auto Tech for Toyota) so does motherboard companies I found that Asus has the best product out there and I have yet to have one fail. and all the extras you get with a R.O.G. board I would put my money into an Asus product any day. EVGA is a good company but I would only buy video cards from them And ASrock their customer service sucks if you have a problem. IMO ASrock is all eye candy

wait the week for the Asus
Mobo: Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD FX-8120 8 Core 3.1 GHz
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 DDR3
VGA: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti X2
Optical: Asus DVD Burner Combo Drive X2
SSD: Corsair Force SATA III 120GB
HDD: Seagate SATA III 1TB Storage
Cooling: Corsair H100 Hydro CPU Cooler
Case: CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced
PSU: Silencer Mk II 750 W

personally i'm the user of asus brand for quite sometime and some evga cards too , but as for asrock probably no idea.

asus has been in the game and top brand for quite sometime because their build quality and their warranty , so much as to their customer service. Hence as for EVGA they do produce top quality graphics card without fail too and they have some nice signature cards around . between those 3 boards which you presented here in this thread 2 of them offer quite better specs and value for money comparing to the asrock board.

Like Zka17 says the " however, I'm seeing something why I would choose to stay with Asus: the hybrid factory designed heatsink - can go watercooling without the need to buy extra waterblock. "

hence because u said u wanted to do some mild overclocking using the H100 , so its the better option i believe imo

Thanks for the replies guys having had my P5Q Pro for quite a long time I've been very very hapy with it and never experienced any problems, I do think the ROG board looks the best (a fan on a Z77 board? What are EVGA thinking?) although how difficult would it be to take advantage of the watercooling option? I've barely built a PC before never mind jumping in at the watercooled deep end.

Does anyone know what price point to expect ROG board to retail at once it is released?

Will the ROG board fit inside a Corsair 650D?
Digital Devil