cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Touchy" Power Cable in my G-53S

baileyclothband
Level 7
Hi Gents,

I was looking for a solution to my problem and came across your forum here. I registered as soon as I saw what it was. I'd like to say that I'm proud to be a part of this community, thank you for having me.
I noticed a couple threads involving the power pin breaking off in G-53jw laptops. The one in my G-53S hasn't broken off, but I do find that I have to twist and orient the cable just right in order to get it to charge. What's more is that the problem seems to be getting worse with time. Is there anything I can do to slow the progression/fix the problem altogether? I appreciate the help.

-Bailey
I'm pretty new to all of this, I'll gladly take whatever help I can get.
7 REPLIES 7

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Twisting and adjusting the orientation means the socket you plug into, is not good....you've opened it up without realising it and now, the only way to get a proper connection....you have to adjust the plug in the socket to get the required connection to charge your battery. Solution: if you know someone, or even yourself if you're willing to give it a go, is open her up get to the socket and with a pair of pliers, very gently close the sides of the socket.....be very careful though, to not crimp the socket.

Gorman
Level 12
It'll break soon, then just take it in to repairs 😉

I don't suggest screwing with anything yourself.

I don't think it is the internal pin of your laptop but the pin of the charger...

Every time I experienced the same issue you mention on another laptop that was the case. I experienced this same issue with chinese chargers once or twice a year. The plastic that surround the wires internally melt because of heat and stress, so the positive and negative charges gets mixed. You would think this sort of problem will damage your laptop. But on most cases it only damages your battery. Don't be surprised if your battery's lasting time gets reduced drastically. Its life also does.

Only once I saw some damage besides the battery done to the mobo with a cheap hp laptop. Smoke came out of the keyboard. The problem was a diode burnt. I replace it and everything worked as before...

When you plug the charger it does not receive current because the polaritie's are mixed up. But when you twist the cable at some point they don't. And that is when it charges. The problem is, that when negative and positive touch. They produce much more heat, making the cable more propense to produce this error. Untill it becomes completely useless and twisting won't work for charging it.

I would suggest you test this before sending the laptop for an rma. You can do it yourself with a tester by checking if the polarity it gaves is the correct one; or you can take the charger to an electricity repair place and let them check it. There is no need in changing the whole charger. Only the pin and maybe some damaged cable. If you need some assistance to check with a tester i can give you instructions...

Thanks guys,

You gave me 3 different answer in a day when ASUS support has taken a week to give me 0. I'd like to test it myself, and at least know the problem before I send it off. That being said, I'm not sure if I have the specific technical proficiency required to replace the damaged components. I did replace a fan in my different, older ASUS, but that didn't involve anything beyond removing some covers and taking a few screws out.
However, I would like to try it depending on what I would need to do. Brecker, when you said it was in the charger itself, you meant in the cable and/or the AD/DC adapter, right?

Bailey

if it is what I said you can fix it yourself, you just need to buy a compatible pin in your local electricity shop and solder it/ letting them solder it to the cable. You need to cut the old connector, connect the cable to the new one, TEST IF THE POLARITY IS CORRECT, and solder it, then you good to go...

now as for checking

With your adapter disconnected (IF ITS PLUGGED IN YOU WILL BRAKE THE TESTER); put the tester in 20k ohms (Google ohms for the symbol if you don't know it)(anything but 200 will do), put one end of the tester inside the connector and the other touching the outside. If the tester displays 0 then the positive wire is touching the negative one, or in other words I'm right. you need to cut the connector and check again with the edges of the wires to be sure the problem ended; then attach the new connector as explained above.

good luck

Again thanks a bunch guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bailey

brecker
Level 8
Also I forgot, if it doesn't display 0 right above try twisting the cable in the same way you do for it to get power, that may trigger it...

And for the polarity check the after you fix it, I just checked the polarity of my g53sw psu, and has positive on the inside and negative on the outside... To check it put the tester in 20V and with the adapter plugged in, put the positive wire of the tester on the inside and the negative on the outside... if the polarity is correct then the number the tester displays should be positive, if its inverted its negative