cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red lines across the screen, now the G75 is dead

lostSUNDAY
Level 7
Hey everyone.

Was hoping i wound never have to use these forums, but i guess my time has come...after only 7 days. 😞
Anyways, was watching a video on youtube and all of a sudden everything froze and red lines appeared all over the screen.
I couldnt do anything, so i restarted the computer and it couldnt boot up windows. Tried a second time and it said i had to do a factory restore. Im in the progress of doing it now, and it seems to be working, for now.

But i guess i cant let this slide...what do you ppl think the problem might be? Harddrive? Faulty RAM?

Should i re-install everything and pray it doesnt happen again or send it back to ASUS for repairs?
7 REPLIES 7

kiba
Level 10
Sounds to me like it might have been a virus. Especially since you were able to do a restore. it doesnt explain the horizontal lines but there are some pretty nasty ones out there. Invest in a good antivirus, I use panda, which is free from my work, but it is decent.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

ForCeV
Level 10
I had a same issue, When I was watching Drama on my pop player, my laptop g75vw ds73 has freeze with red lines. (there is not only red lines but also orange) Also, the line is not only across a laptop, but also the line covered whole monitor screen. So I should push to forcing the power button. and restart a computer. and it's fine... IDK what is the cause that it has happened . I could say that I recenlty installed Game Booster3.5beta from Iobit.

MPelissari
Level 7
Well i have a G75VW-TS72, i had the same problem once, i was playing Diablo 3 then freezes up and everything went red colored, forced a hard reboot using the power button for 10 secounds then i didn't happen again, but since that time i had installed a fresh windows 7 and updated the video driver, i don't think it was a virus since i was using Kaspersky Pure 2.0 2012 at the time and after i install any thing after the driver i normally do i full scan... after the restore any problem so far? have you tried to update any drivers before this happen? i had a LOT of driver problems with my G75...
ASUS G75VW-TS72 Bios 207- Core i7-3610QM @ 2.3GHz, 16GB DDR3, 128 SSD + 750GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M.

I agree with MPelissari, that is not caused by virus. I think.. that is kind of defective part on G75VW... seriously... Asus needs support this situation is not only me but also some ones have this... PLZ check again this situation even though it is hard to solve because this situation happens randomly.... I had a same issue only one time so... IDK when it is going to happen again... but I m afraid if it happens after warranty....

PS> I just bought this laptop 6.6.12. Issue happens after 20days from I bought this laptop.

MPelissari
Level 7
ForCeV can't agree more, i bought my G75 when i first saw the news of this model on Compusa back in may, the more that i dig up the more that i find more users with the same problems that i have, and the more that i dig up i see that is just drivers problem, like the sound driver for the subwoofer, the usb 3 after update, the red lines for the video driver... i'm very happy with my laptop since when it fully works i get the best experience from the very best.... but since it is new i just want it to work for a long time....

Edited: Also there are many things that can be done to correct these problem, i know that some times it takes time for a new driver or any update comes out, after all it only comes out if some one reports there is a problem with it... so in the forum there will be many users reporting some times the same thing in a different way, but some times the results in a future update... as some of my friends that has the same model that i have i would say that i would buy it again...
ASUS G75VW-TS72 Bios 207- Core i7-3610QM @ 2.3GHz, 16GB DDR3, 128 SSD + 750GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M.

rabbert_klein
Level 8
I know I'm a bit late to the thread here but anytime I have ever seen red lines on the screen like described it was the GPU. Just a few weeks ago I replaced a friends EVGA 8800 GTS which was producing static red lines at any resolution at all times on any monitor.

EVGA RMA'ed it as soon as I told them about the red lines persisting in any OS, resolution or alternate monitors.
Asus G75WV-NS72 - Kubuntu Linux 12.04.1

Crosshair V AMD FX 8150 @ 4.1 GHz
2x EVGA GeForce 570 GTX
Patriot Viper Extreme @ 2004Mhz 9-11-9-27 1.65V
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 120Gb
ThermalTake Element G
Corsair HX1000 PSU
Corsair H80
Windows 7 Pro x64 until the Steam client for linux is available and stable.

MPelissari
Level 7
I though it was the GPU but i did a stress test on the native resolution for 30 minutes and i got no error, no freeze, and the temperature was only close to 79 degress C, and i can play anything else on ultra high settings on any game so far, the only thing that i did yesterday is i have updated the video card driver with the Nvidia new Beta driver... maybe give it a try... and the thing is i can only see the red lines while playing Diablo 3, no other game would give me those not even Crysis 2...