cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G55VW-DS71 Faulty or Fine?

MonkeyMHz
Level 7
I just got this laptop today.

And I was wondering if the Asus G55VW-DS71 is able to be used with the AC plugged in and no battery. Or is the battery required?...
Currently it doesn't seem to power on without the battery.
6 REPLIES 6

Holy
Level 7
yes i have fun mine with out a battery in. return and get a new one if possible.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

Thanks for the reply, Ill see If I got time tomorrow to take it back to the store.
*Ill keep this thread updated on my progress, followed by a review of the laptop once its all in working order.

chrsplmr
Level 18
I dont know if it should or shouldnt run with it in ... 'old' laptops .. when the battery is faulty and
customers use it as a desktop anyway and dont want to spend the coins this works fine for ..
(some 'old' types overheat ect .. fire issue..im talking non-asus lappies, from experience.)

but .. why ? would you run a NEW laptop without the battery.. what is the point or reasoning ? just curious.

Holy
Level 7
debugging and sometimes you just don't want to put the battery in lol.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

I also noticed its not detecting when its plugged in on AC.

Pretty much, it won't turn on unless battery is in. And if the battery is in, and you turn it on it does not detect that its plugged in on AC. However if I put it into sleep mode it will charge the battery and sometimes (rarely) wake up detecting the AC is plugged in.

Something's definitely wrong, Ill take it in, when I drop 1600$ on a laptop I want things to work right lol. So yah, hopefully ill be back tomorrow with a new one/exchange.

Well, took it in to the store and they tested on another laptop ac plug and it worked fine. They gave me a new ac plug/charger and everything seems to be good!