cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW - Sound

dizz16
Level 7
Hi guys,

Still playing around with my new G55. Game performance is great so far. Max Payne 3 looks awesome!

One thing I did notice regarding this laptop is the loudness of the sound. I am trying to put the sound softer at night while everyone is sleeping, but even if I put the sound level on "1" on the HD Audio settings and as low as possible on the windows sound level bar, it is still loud. It is as if the laptop got a volume control from loud upto distortion loud...there is no way for me at the moment to make it soft enough to listen to a song quietly in the background or to play a game that only me can hear it.

Anyone else facing this and got a solution for it. I know headphones would do the trick, but I would like to fix it without going that route.

Thanks for the help!
35 REPLIES 35

ripplecarry
Level 7
I experienced exactly the same with my G55. It sounded like the speakers were broken sometimes, they were that distorted.

I solved it by uninstallating the VIA HD drivers and let Windows install its own, generic drivers instead (which it did automatically) and that solved the problem.

I don't now if that makes me loose and special features of the soundcard / speakers though? I think perhaps that I lost the subwoofer but I'm not sure since I usually play at a very low volume anyway.

ripplecarry wrote:
I experienced exactly the same with my G55. It sounded like the speakers were broken sometimes, they were that distorted.

I solved it by uninstallating the VIA HD drivers and let Windows install its own, generic drivers instead (which it did automatically) and that solved the problem.

I don't now if that makes me loose and special features of the soundcard / speakers though? I think perhaps that I lost the subwoofer but I'm not sure since I usually play at a very low volume anyway.

thanks for this, I was wondering about this too as adjusting the volume seemed to make hardly any difference. but when i installed windows 8 preview the volume adjusted well just like i expected normally (it installed its own drivers).

i will uninstall via drivers tonight and give this a shot.

hopefully this will solve the issue of even when i have headphones in sometime when loading a new application it plays sounds through the speakers.

Bump, for people like me still experiencing this 🙂 thanks for the tip, I'll try it out

dizz16
Level 7
Great, thank you that did the trick. Appreciated.

chrsplmr
Level 18
This is a great idea ... anybody with a G75 (sound issue) try this ? (temp. until Asus fixes this.)

chrsplmr wrote:
This is a great idea ... anybody with a G75 (sound issue) try this ? (temp. until Asus fixes this.)

Yes this is certainly a workable "bypass" solution and will work on G75VW ... you lose bottom speaker ...

Holy
Level 7
yea i kinda have this problem. what i do it change the game volume with it. takes a lil extra time but it works.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

dizz16
Level 7
Well like I say, I did it after the 1st reply and it is working fine. On screen volume indicator still works and volume can actually go "soft".

Thanks again!

electric0ant
Level 7
it appears this issue is with the sub not changing volume correctly when the drivers are installed. if you uninstall the via drivers the sub stops working so it is a temp work around. however with the drivers uninstalled the volume controls no longer work for headphones that have been plugged in.
i read on another post that there is meant to be a fix coming out.

aside from this I am very happy with my G55 🙂