cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Formula DRAM LED stuck on

shaper42
Level 7
Hi, seeking debugging guidance -- brand new Rampage IV Formula won't boot up fully. I get no beep, but board lights up, LED display top right shows "13" briefly then sticks at "0C", row of LEDs sticks at DRAM_LED lit.

Thoughts?

Have tried pulling GPU and everything else (except CPU) and all RAM and then rotating through one stick in DIMM slot 1 with each stick. Have reseated power connectors.

Haven't tried reseating CPU yet but seems like CPU LED or some other failure code should show if that were the problem and would prefer to avoid cpu fan and thermal paste antics again if possible.

AFAICT the RAM should be compatible, can't imagine all sticks are bad. Could MB RAM slots be fried?

Tried the "Go" button but all it seemed to do was cause board to reboot endlessly every 15sec or so.

Suppose next step unless others have idea is to perhaps borrow RAM from a friend and try that, (sigh) try reseating the CPU, and if no luck then RMA the MB.

- MB: Rampage IV Formula
- CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor - BX80619I73930K
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800 Quad Channel 240 Pin Desktop Memory CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10
- GPU: EVGA GTX 680
7 REPLIES 7

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG forum!

It seems that your system has hard times with the memories... It means that could be a problem with the memories itself, with the DIMM slots and with your CPU - yes, your CPU, since it has a memory controller built in.

To start with, the Corsair memory kit model #CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 is listed being compatible only on the Corsair's site - meaning that only them tried it, Asus didn't. So, if you could try first this kit in your friend's system would be nice... Just to be sure that the kit is working...

The other thing you could do, is try each module in each DIMM slot (doing 2 cycles of Memtest for each variation) - this way you can figure out if there is a problem with either the memory kit (one of the modules) or one of the DIMM slots.

And you also have to check the pins in the CPU socket... if the pins responsible for the memory controller are bent, you will see it as a memory problem...

emaratee
Level 9
The last time I got this DRAM light with my first RIVE board it turned out to be a DOA. Try re-seating the cpu as a last resort.

emaratee wrote:
The last time I got this DRAM light with my first RIVE board it turned out to be a DOA. Try re-seating the cpu as a last resort.

Tried different vendor-approved RAM (Patriot 8GB), tried reseating CPU, tried updating BIOS, tried resetting CMOS. No change in behavior.

Opened support ticket requesting an RMA. Pretty surprised, AFAICT my parts are pretty much what a new build right now would commonly look like and a DOA MB seems like it would be a rare thing.

New MB exhibits same error state. Posted a new thread on this forum but to follow up on this one as well -- any other ideas?

At this point I've got all new RAM and a new MB and seeing same error code. Presuming error is in fact DRAM related maybe 8 GB DIMMs just don't work even though they're supposed to?

Working now, did two things -- (1) plugged in EZ plug though that alone didn't fix it, (2) removed Corsair H60 fan cooler pump power plug from mysterious unlabelled three-pin socket on center-right of motherboard.

#1, what is that for, docs say something about it's for VGA power but there is no VGA port?

#2 seems to have been the issue. It looked like a generic power source for a fan or similar but appears not. I could swear some docs showed it as reasonable to plug it in there. Anyone know what those pins are? If not for a fan maybe they're jumpers.

User error... thanks for all of the help!

8_Pack
Level 12
I have replied to your other thread mate. Hope that helps. Do you have another CPU to possibly try as the memory controller is on teh CPu these days.

Zka17
Level 16
Wow, those unlabeled headers on the mobo are not for end users! They're for engineers for diagnostic reasons... 🙂 Plugging the Corsair cooler there could mess up things... good that you realized that! :cool: wouldn't even cross my mind to suspect someone using those headers...

The EZ Plug connector (4 pin) is for auxiliary VGA power. For your graphic card(s) in the PCI-E slot(s).

Perhaps this was a good lesson to read the mobo's manual in the future... 🙂