Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ssinha View Post
    i've tried everything from upgrading the AI Recovery and BIOS and burning DVD's before and after upgrading but the problem remains with HDD bigger the 500GB, the DVD's work with HDD's less than 500 GB's but whenever I try to restore to a new HDD or SSD bigger than 500 GB same old problem. I do not want to do a clean install and loose all the asus driver and date and the OS. In there no solution to this mayhem.
    Yes the best way to solve you issue is to clean Install you can get the 7 Home Premium SP 1

You will download your drivers from Asus Support Downloads here

See Rewben sticky thread for guides and infor on how to accomplish this.

Of course you have already backed up your data.

So save yourself a lot of aggravation and just do it. Win 7 clean installs are just to easy and the results so great that there is really no reason not to do it this way.

MHO
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array GottiBoi55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssinha View Post
    i've tried everything from upgrading the AI Recovery and BIOS and burning DVD's before and after upgrading but the problem remains with HDD bigger the 500GB, the DVD's work with HDD's less than 500 GB's but whenever I try to restore to a new HDD or SSD bigger than 500 GB same old problem. I do not want to do a clean install and loose all the asus driver and date and the OS. In there no solution to this mayhem.
    You need to re-burn the AI Recovery set with this AI Recovery Burner Version1.0.28

1. First rur the "old AI set" on a un-fornatted/unallocated 500 GB drive or less (You will have a working OS, and a rebuilt recovery partition once all is done)
    2. Now install the AI Recovery Burner V1.0.28 from link above. (This version will work on drives over 500 GB, and SSDs)
    3. Now burn a "new AI Recovery Disk set" (4 disks in all)
    4. Remove the 500 GB drive, then replace with your factory 750 GB drive that's un-formatted/unallocated , or a un-formatted/unallocated SSD drive. (SSD in my case)
    5. Place the first new AI Recovery disk, and follow the step by step instructions (note: make sure that's the only drive installed)

I done this procedure above, it totally works!!!!

Here's a YouTube video showing how it works (Look at 5:30 minutes into video)>>>>>Asus G75VW SSD/HDD Installation Tutorial
    GottiBoi55
    Asus
    G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
    Samsung
    24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
    SanDisk
    M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
    Second Monitor: Shar
    p Aquos 32"

ROG Member Array

Hi,
    I have a G73 JH (Win 7 Home Premium, 12gb ram, 576gb HD, 232gb 2nd HD, original bios)
    .....no problems, but want to be ready just in case.

I created the 3 disk Recovery DVDs using the AI Utility that came with the laptop (2010), and the Repair Disk
    using the Windows 7 utility.

On page 1 of this thread, post#8, dstrakele said:
    No matter what you choose, consider creating a Windows System Image with Windows Backup and Restore. You can create this Image at any point in time, rather than just the out-of-the-box state of an ASUS Factory Recovery. It'll save you from having to reinstall any applications, driver upgrades, and Windows Updates you've added.
    Does this back up just the OS and/or Documents & Settings?
    Or does it make a copy of the Data files?
    Is this considered a "clone"?

I've used EZMigration on an older HP laptop no problem, except after a certain number of cycles, Windows said it might not be an authentic copy, and some apps needed to be re-registered (not re-installed).
    I was planning to do the same for the G73 and keep the clone as a spare, just as an alternative in case the Recovery DVDs don't work.

What about other apps for incremental and/or differential backups, e.g. AOMEI or Ease Todo Backup? (both free)

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by 3dcal; 09-09-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcal View Post
    Hi,
    I have a G73 JH (Win 7 Home Premium, 12gb ram, 576gb HD, 232gb 2nd HD, original bios)
    .....no problems, but want to be ready just in case.

I created the 3 disk Recovery DVDs using the AI Utility that came with the laptop (2010), and the Repair Disk
    using the Windows 7 utility.

On page 1 of this thread, post#8, dstrakele said:

Does this back up just the OS and/or Documents & Settings?
    Or does it make a copy of the Data files?
    Is this considered a "clone"?

I've used EZMigration on an older HP laptop no problem, except after a certain number of cycles, Windows said it might not be an authentic copy, and some apps needed to be re-registered (not re-installed).
    I was planning to do the same for the G73 and keep the clone as a spare, just as an alternative in case the Recovery DVDs don't work.

What about other apps for incremental and/or differential backups, e.g. AOMEI or Ease Todo Backup? (both free)

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

The AI Recovery Disk Set will "Rebuild" the recovery partition, and restore you OS in case a catastrophic failure of the hard drive, or a corrupted hard drive.
    Good thing you created your "AI Set", if you ever need to recover the HDD (or a new drive), or even install to a new SSD .
    I used my AT Recovery Set to install to my SSD on my G75VW/w7 model, it worked like a charm without a problem
    I even made a few f9 recoveries without any problems what so ever!
    So if you ever want to install a new SSD, you should give it a try.

Note: The AI Recovery Set will "not" backup any Documents, or any Data, so you should make regular backups on another HDD, or on an external HDD (The process will wipe your drive clean)

Now for "Cloning" you whole HDD, you can use this program>>>>>>
    Macrium Reflect free
    Very good cloning software, and many here on the forum has used it with great success when cloning to a SSD.

Hope this is of some help to you my friend?
    Last edited by GottiBoi55; 09-09-2014 at 11:29 PM.
    GottiBoi55
    Asus
    Samsung
    SanDisk
    p Aquos 32"

ROG Member Array

Thanks GottiBoi55.
    I just can't use the AI Recovery DVDs on a >=500gb drive, right? (without using the latest version of AI)

I'm still fuzzy about the "Windows System Image with Windows Backup and Restore."
    What does that do? Supposedly it keeps you from having to re-install apps?

re: Macrium Reflect......yes, I saw that in an earlier post by someone else. I've used EZ Migration,
    but will check out Macrium to see if it's better.

Cloning works great, at least a few times, and good to keep a cloned HD handy, just in case the
    Recovery DVDs don't work.

OR.....maybe I should use the AI DVDs on a new HD instead of cloning it?
    What's the best strategy?
    Last edited by 3dcal; 09-10-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    All Blender goodness. All FREE.

The AI Recovery Disk Set you created should work, test your AI DVDs on a new HDD if you like, what can it hurt?

The backup/restore function is for backing up all your files (IE: Picture, Music, Movie, and any other files you created)
    You can set this function to auto backup files if you like, or you can manually run the backup procedure.

A system image is an exact copy of a drive.
    By default, a system image includes the drivers required for Windows to run.
    It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files.
    You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working.
    It's basically the same as cloning your drive.
    Last edited by GottiBoi55; 09-10-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    GottiBoi55
    Asus
    Samsung
    SanDisk
    p Aquos 32"

ROG Member Array

The AI Recovery Disk Set you created should work, test your AI DVDs on a new HDD if you like, what can it hurt?
    I just ordered a HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA III 32MB Cache SATA 6Gbps for only $38 and will try it asap.

Thanks for the great help my friend.
    All Blender goodness. All FREE.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcal View Post
    I just ordered a HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA III 32MB Cache SATA 6Gbps for only $38 and will try it asap.

Thanks for the great help my friend.

Sounds like a plan, that's a good price for the HDD.
    Good luck my friend.
    GottiBoi55
    Asus
    Samsung
    SanDisk
    p Aquos 32"

New ROGer Array

One additional question to the formatting when recovery is done by DVD (on Win 7). The harddisk is formatted in mid-level-mode (overwriting with zeros)? Or may it be possible to restore any data afterwards? Thanks in advance and regards.

ROG Member Array jasonmc PC Specs
    jasonmc PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G75VW
    MotherboardROG STRIX X470 GAMING
    ProcessorAMD RYZEN 5 2600X
    Memory (part number)KHX2133C14/8G
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX GTX 1060/6G
    Graphics Card #2-
    Graphics Card #3-
    Graphics Card #4-
    MonitorROG STRIX XG27VQ
    CPU CoolerTT THERMALTAKE WATER COOLER 120M
    CaseINWIN A1
    Power SupplySF 750
    Keyboard RAZER QUARTS V2 BLACKWIDOW
    Mouse LOGITECH G 703
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES XL
    Headset/Speakers creative
    OS WINDOWS 10

Hi ther my question if any 1 can help is that wen I first bought my g75vw 3 years ago, I made the recovery disk the ai ones and they seem to work at the time but I just found your how to video, and I realized I never locked my seconded drive? I have 2 sets of 8 disk all up the ai recovery disk that is, I don't no why but after I made the first 4 disk the ai poped up againg and told me I should make a copy of the ai disk so I made more! now I tried to test run 2 see if they would work but I cant seem 2 get them to work like you show in your video? if I was 2 make new set of ai disk? would they still bring my g75vw back to factory state or not? please help me out.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast