cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP - 4Gb?

DarkSacred
Level 7
I've always been a fan of EVGA bought their cards for some time now however I really like the look of the ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP having read a fair few reviews I'm really tempted by this card especially due to the superior cooling!

However...they don't currently offer it in a 4Gb version (where as EVGA offer their FTW range in this vRAM size) are their any plans for Asus to introduce a larger vRam on their DirectCU II TOP range cards or are we stuck with the limiting 2gb.
Digital Devil
28 REPLIES 28

Sonofol
Level 7
I agree with this, i want to future proof as well. A card I can replace in 3-4 years. 2gb is too limiting. When will a 4gb hit on the TOP version?

xeromist
You do realize that the 4GB variants are an almost completely worthless upgrade, right? Unless you're running triple monitor with some extreme settings on a handful of games you would never know the difference. And even then the difference is minimal. Manufacturers like to stack memory because it makes the card sound faster even if there's no actual improvement. ASUS may eventually release a 4GB version but not because it's better, because people think they need a 4GB card.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

If you want to throw alot of money at a good upgrade for a computer, I'm talking top of the line, 4gb these days is a no brainer.
There are several boards, if you google, of people reporting Skyrim and BF3 breaking 2gb running on ultra with 1920 x 1200 monitors +.

I'm throwing alot of money down on my build and I dont plan on upgrading a card for a good 4 years or so. I had my radeon for 4 years, it's having trouble running things now, but i bought the top of the line version at the time, and it's still paying off because i didnt have to upgrade. I plan on doing the same here, getting my monies worth, or 100% Future proofing. I "know" 4gb will last me. Games in 4 years i pray don't break 4gb til I get there, but a 4gb card has a better chance of surviving the years than 2gb.

I can also tell that the same individuals get it beat in their head that 2gb, or the lowest standard vram at the time, is ok. 1gb was the norm when I bought my going on 4 years ago... look at the reqs now, alot of games break 1gb if you want the full experience. Thats what gaming is about enjoying the full experience, immerse yourself, attention to detail.

Appreciate the biased position, but lets get an Asus Rep in here to answer our question!

Sonofol wrote:
There are several boards, if you google, of people reporting Skyrim and BF3 breaking 2gb running on ultra with 1920 x 1200 monitors +.
[...]
Appreciate the biased position, but lets get an Asus Rep in here to answer our question!

I _did_ do a search on Google; that's how I found comparison of real world performance between the two memory sizes and no practical difference. Did those same people you found actually try both a 2 & 4GB card and see a significant performance difference?

What I'm saying isn't due to an ASUS bias. Buy a 2GB card from another brand if you like. I seriously question the need for 4GB on any brand except for cases when a larger than average number of pixels needs to be pushed with a lot of AA (as I mentioned before).

And I will add that planning a 4 year refresh cycle is doing yourself a disservice. You would be better off spending half the money on mid-range solutions and refreshing twice as often. Too much changes in 4 years. Sure you might have the memory to buffer the big titles 4 years from now but you won't have the rendering power. 4 years ago the equivalent of the 680 was the 280. Do you know anyone who is still running today's games on high settings on a 280?

Also, I was trying to give you some kind of answer that might help a buying decision. After being here for several years I can tell you that ASUS is not in the habit of commenting on unreleased hardware. If you are waiting for someone to pop in here and confirm or deny a 4GB version before the rest of the world knows then I think you'll be waiting a long time.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I will go buy another brand. I was just wondering if the TOP version was going to have a 4gb variant; too bad it won't. I do have a buddy running two gtx 280 2gb's and he's currently doing fine on games; actually much better than my 3870 x2's setup. VRAM has a huge role in this (nvidia drivers too prob). I understand the rendering power issue, but in my case VRAM is the main limiting factor in my ability to play games at this time. Thanks a ton for your replies.

On another note: I understand we forum goers aren't as significant as a tech news site; It is marketing after all. I'm simply asking a question about a variant of a product. Not asking to be "first in the world" to know. Just if the "idea" of production is on the table. At the very least it would spark interest. Product questions, like the one on this board, need to be asked to create demand so that ASUS gets the motivation to make the product, right? I'm simply throwing my penny in the jar.

Sonofol wrote:
Product questions, like the one on this board, need to be asked to create demand so that ASUS gets the motivation to make the product, right? I'm simply throwing my penny in the jar.

Absolutely! I think people should definitely speak their minds and a lot of requests for something might very well get attention. It would be really cool if ASUS found the next great idea right here.

I just see too often that other forum members attempt to help someone and are brushed off (sometimes rudely, sometimes not) because they don't work for ASUS. This isn't a conduit to the ASUS master brain so not everyone is going to get a reply from an ASUS employee, and those that do can consider themselves lucky. We do have some ASUS people around when they have time but given that this is a user-to-user forum people need to realize that most likely it's other users who will be reading posts and replying to them.

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
These Skyrim players on google need to update their system. I was running an I7 920 and 9 gb of ram with a GTX 580 Dual Monitors at 1920x1080 and Skyrim at ultra with no issues I have yet to test it with three Monitors on my 680 with AMD FX 8150 and 16gb of RAM but I can't forsee an issue 2 gb is plenty.

rhozac
Level 9
Im a 30" user and feel forced to buy a non RoG card cause of the vram limit. Sure i could just buy a asus 2gb version, but that would imply games wouldn't start using more vram as hardware becomes available to support it. Graphics will get more hardware/vram intensive, because thats just how it is. Buying a 2gig version will be fine in most cases, but considering the investment you would want to probably upgrade to SLI later when graphics gets better to support it. If you get limited by vram at this time it would surely suck. Id much rather buy an asus 4gb 670 or 680 with DirectCU II TOP.

2gb are maxing out now on systems in some games/settings, what will it look like in one years time?. If SLI would have the memory added it would be fine, but it doesn't so to future proof you need the 4gb version. Please make a DirectCU II TOP 4gb i implore you!.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4E, 3960x@stock, 16gb gskill 1600mhz cl9, cooler master cosmos 2, intel 520 60gb ssd, h100.

I agree, I'm currently an owner of dual 680 DC2Top cards, and the primary issue I currently have with them is the VRAM, I run at 2560x1440 and on several games I see the VRAM usage capping out with full AA settings on. If there were 4GB cards release, even if they were $100-200 more, I think it would have been worth the price and I would have definitely gotten those instead for the future proofing, as well as the possibilty of a super high resolution, 12 megapixel surround setup. If I do end up upgrading to that surround monitor setup I would have to switch to EVGA cards for the option of 4Gig cards now, which I didn't want to do because I've been a long time asus user.

CM Storm Trooper
Rampage IV Extreme
3930K@5.1GHz 1.48V (+0.085 Offset) XSPC Raystorm +Alphacool 360mm UT-60 /w 3x Scythe Ultra Kaze @2200rpm
Asus DC2T GTX680 x2 (going for a 3rd with some EK blocks when the budget allows)
32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400 G.skill Trident X
2x 256GB Vertex4 Raid0
Seasonic Platinum 1000W