cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Build, Critique Away

Vampirate1337
Level 7
I am going to be assembling this rig soon, not sure if this psu is sufficient but i like the look. if you have suggestions on the psu please keep in mind that i am trying to stick with a blue led theme. i really REALLY like this case due to the extreme expandability and massive space. i am also curious if the heatsink is going to be stable on a vertical motherboard configuration, im not a fan of the lack of a window into the motherboard to show off the sexy motherboard and the led accents. im pretty sure i need at least four fans and it looks like i can only put four fans on this board. is there any way to utilize the seven fan options with this case and this board?

mobo: asus crosshair v 990fx
cpu: amd fx 8150
graphics: asus radeon hd 6770
ram: g skill ripjaw x series 2x8gb
ssd: ocz solid 3 sata III 2.5" 120gb
heatsink: cooler master hyper 212 evo
psu: apevia iceberg atx-ib680w sli ready 680w
case: nzxt phantom phan-001 bk

optionally i was considering
ram: kingston hyper xt1 2x4 black (red dimm slots as they are too tall for the heatsink) maybe in conjunction with the ripjaw, any thoughts? do you think the ripjaw would fit under my heatsink?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is my first build. am i overlooking anything?
4 REPLIES 4

Homiestar
Level 8
You may want to get an HDD for storage, as the more cluttered the SSD's become, the more they drop in performance, and 680W may be running the borderline of what that setup needs power, don't quote me on that (let the experts handle that! xD) But my setup is going to be a 64gb SDD with the OS and other stuff like the drivers and whatnot, and a 500gb HDD for storage.

For the RAM questions, I do believe there was a topic earlier on by Stance regarding the clearance of high profile RAM, and from what I remember I don't think you can fill all the slots (the two red ones are fine i believe.. Check out that thread though 🙂

For the fans, this I'm unsure of as well, so can't really help ya there 😞
Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Motherboard - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - FX-8150 3.6GHz ( OC'd to 5.4)
CPU Cooler - Corsair H70 (2 gentle typhoon fans)
GPU - ASUS Radeon 6850 HD 1GB
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw X series (2x4gb) 1600 (OC'd to 1725)
PSU - Seasonic 860w platinum
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500gb
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB
OS - Win. 8 Pro 64 bit

Homiestar
Level 8
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5095-Crosshair-V-with-212-Evo-Q.&country=&status=

There is the thread I mentioned regarding the RAM... Hope it answers your questions!
Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Motherboard - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - FX-8150 3.6GHz ( OC'd to 5.4)
CPU Cooler - Corsair H70 (2 gentle typhoon fans)
GPU - ASUS Radeon 6850 HD 1GB
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw X series (2x4gb) 1600 (OC'd to 1725)
PSU - Seasonic 860w platinum
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500gb
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB
OS - Win. 8 Pro 64 bit

ill probably add a hdd, maybe cannibalize an old laptop in the short term.
i have determined that i will need about 720w of power so im going to grab a 750w for longevity. i was looking at the rosewill xtreme series rx750-s-b. but a lot of reviews state it is for a low end rig, and as youu can probably tell this is definitely nowhere near low end. i know this is the most important part and i really dont want to screw it up, not sure about amperage...

Zka17
Level 16
I am going to be assembling this rig soon, not sure if this psu is sufficient but i like the look. if you have suggestions on the psu please keep in mind that i am trying to stick with a blue led theme.

It seems a good idea to go with the PSU at 750W range... my opinion is to forget the "blue led theme" regarding the PSU... In that case you won't see the PSU anyway through the window - just get a good one and if you want, you can use LED strips or something for the color theme.

i am also curious if the heatsink is going to be stable on a vertical motherboard configuration

Well, if you mount the cooler properly and the mobo is secured correctly, should be no problems. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO has a clearance of 37mm for memories (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3053) So, when you've selected the right kit for you (QVL + color theme), just double check the module's height...

Just an idea... have you considered a Corsair H80 for your CPU? It's better than the Cooler Master (http://www.servethehome.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-cpu-cooler-review/), you wouldn't had to worry about it's stability on a vertical configuration and it would let you enough space to use all 4 DIMM slots... :cool: