cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD7970 together with GTX580 possible?

bluezero5
Level 10
I am currently using HD7970. running 3 monitors.
and that's fine.

but then, I recently received a new 27" ASUS 3D Monitor, that's Nvidia 3D ready with shutter glasses.

I would like to enable the 3D monitor and Glasses, just fun and gimmicky.

now my question is. I have an existing GTX580 just sitting there.

can I plug the Nvidia GTX580 into the second PCI-e slot, change one of the Monitor output for one of my three screens to be from the GTX580, and still have the desktop extended?

will things be compatible?
any potential issues?

I am running win7 64 bits.
and using Rampage IV Extreme.

Please share!
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Umm I'm not 100% sure but I'd eat my hat!

Reminds me of stuff my old school vicar used to come out with...... Isiah 11:6 😛

The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and Nvidia GPUs will work side by side with AMD

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Umm I'm not 100% sure but I'd eat my hat!

Well, Arne... I think we could forgive you if you change your mind... :cool: But if you're going to do that, please, record it! 😄

Just joking... 🙂 everyone can make assumptions too fast... as I did it recently too... 🙂

Zka17 wrote:
Well, Arne... I think we could forgive you if you change your mind... :cool: But if you're going to do that, please, record it! 😄

Just joking... 🙂 everyone can make assumptions too fast... as I did it recently too... 🙂

HAHA!:D I saw this earlier and have been looking for a very small hat made of chocolate ever since!!

But really I'm amazed .....

bluezero5
Level 10
alright, worth a try then.
If it does, I think I will be quite psyched.

anyone else with any experience here, please share too!!

Zka17
Level 16
Interesting question... I found some older setups working with ATI and NVidia cards together, but no info about RIVE and HD7970+GTX580...

Also found that there is a chip dedicated to this (Lucid Hydra)... but that's only on the Crosshair IV Extreme...

If you give a try, definitely post back with your experience!

emaratee
Level 9
Yes ... and ... maybe yes !! with certain boards it is doable ... check the link http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870A-Fuzion.html

bluezero5
Level 10
it works. like a charm.

nothing else required.

now I can watch Nvidia 3d on my main, and my AMD controls the other 2 screens, and everything is extendable inbetween!

Fantastic,
You may also be interested in installing nvidia control panel and enabling the nvidia card as dedicated phyzx. Should give your gaming performance a bit of a bump 🙂
Rampage IV Extreme | i7 3930k c1 | 2xAsus DCUIITop GTX 680 Sli | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 | OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 PCI-Express SSD 240GB | 4xWD 500G RAID 1+0 on onboard Intel controller | 4xWD 3TB RAID 5 and 4xWD 1TB RAID5 on HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL | AVerTV Duo Hybrid Tv Card | Corsair HX-850 PSU | Corsair Obsidian 800D

bluezero5
Level 10
ya, already did that !! 🙂