cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 from BB, and upgrades available.

Patrickm239
Level 7
Hey I've been doing alot of reading here on the forums, I've done some shopping around and I'm about 90% decided this thing is the way to go for my deployment computer. I'm just a little curious if I'm reading everything right about a few upgrades to get the most out of the lower end Bestbuy machine. My plan is to put a SSD, 8GB, and a blu-ray player to the mix to give me some bang for a few bucks.

I've been looking at these products in particular which seem to have great reviews as well as be able to interface with the G75 well.

Intel 520 series 120gb SSD
Kingston HyperX 8gb(2x4gb)
Panasonic UJ240 6x Blu-ray Burner BD-RE/8x DVD±RW DL SATA Drive (Black)"

Just wondering of these three upgrades will hold longevity til the end of my warranty or should I be looking elsewhere in term of upgrades. Also what problems will I encounter other than the SSD issues everyone has been having involving OS migration and BIOS not recognizing the new hard drive. This is my first time tinkering with a laptop so I'll be deffinately be sifting through these forums with a comb In the near future. Thanks for any input anyone has and thanks for the other thread contributors posting there success and failures to bring the issues to light.
Intel Core i7-3610QM 4x 2.3GHz Turbo-Boost bis zu 3.3 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM- Upgraded to 16 via 2x4gb Kingston HyperX 1600
1TB HDD 5400rpm- Junked 1TB HDD for Intel 520 120gb SSD and 500gb WD Black 7200rpm HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5
8x DVDRW- Junked for Panasonic UJ240 6x Blu-Ray recorder/DVD/CD drive
53 REPLIES 53

Daylife
Level 9
If you want to upgrade that much i would recommend spending a little more and just get a better overall version of the G75, unless you really really want to do the upgrades yourself.

Sorry I left a little info out I guess, I chose the bestbuy version since I had black tie on my last laptop that took a dirt nap prematurely so they junked it and gave me 1199.98 towards the purchase ofmy new laptop so in this case I got the g75 from bestbuy for 50 bucks, I figured doing these upgrades myself would at least bring it up to the level of one of the pricier rigs.
1TB HDD 5400rpm- Junked 1TB HDD for Intel 520 120gb SSD and 500gb WD Black 7200rpm HDD

Cecil_2099
Level 11
I'm not entirely positive on this, but swapping out the optical drive *might* void your warranty as it's not supposed to be a user-replaceable part like the HDD or empty RAM sticks.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

Not sure if putting the blu-ray does void the warranty either, but it really shouldn't. I did it, and it only took minutes to do. One mounting screw under the main panel, transfer the bracket to the new drive, replace the bezel, reinstall. Real easy.

I will say, spend the extra money and get a 240-256gb SSD. I got a 128gb myself, and I feel I shoulda went bigger even tho I do use a 750gb secondary HDD for storage.
||G75VW-BBK5|16gb 1600|Samsung 830 Series 128gb SSD|WD-Blk 750gb HDD|UJ240 BLU|GTX660m||

Thanks for the input guys. I'm deffinately going to switch to a larger SSD now that you bring it up. I've heard that 2x250 gbs setup in raid confit is the way to go(is that right). I'm a little confused as to how that works though. Until I get both SSDs though just planning on one SSD and the 1tb 5400rpm that came with the machine for my junk storage.. What setup would these be in to function properly? Or now that I think on it should I scrap the double SSD idea and pick up a WD Black 750gb and swap out the terribad stock HDD and keep it that way?

Patrickm239 wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. I'm deffinately going to switch to a larger SSD now that you bring it up. I've heard that 2x250 gbs setup in raid confit is the way to go(is that right). I'm a little confused as to how that works though. Until I get both SSDs though just planning on one SSD and the 1tb 5400rpm that came with the machine for my junk storage.. What setup would these be in to function properly? Or now that I think on it should I scrap the double SSD idea and pick up a WD Black 750gb and swap out the terribad stock HDD and keep it that way?

Most of us here are quite happy with single SSD setup ( with operating system and applications ) and data/games on other drive.

Most people could by quite well with a 120 gb 520 ( but I have the 180 gb version ) and the performance of the intel is incredible.

Start by turning off immediately ( uninstalling ) the asus live update utility as that has bricked quite a few people by doing a BIOS upgrade thru windows winflash. Follow that up by installing latest version of asus AI recovery utility and then burn yourself a set of recovery DVD's.

Cecil has a good thread about how to use the recovery DVD's to re-install onto the SSD ( while current drive is pulled out ).

Any decent 1600 memory upgrade ( samsung/kingston/corsair ) should be just peachy.

I am doing eventually the same blue ray upgrade but you will need some additional player software probably after that install.

the blu ray drive is a super easy install. I highly doubt it would void your warranty....one screw to slide it out.

I did mine in about 3 minutes...

Thanks for all the feedback. The g75 is currently undergoing restore as I type this and I find myself debating on what secondary hard drive to install.

Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

What would be the better overall choice in terms of reliability/performance? Both come highly reviewed and rated but I was hoping to get some input from actual ROG users as to performance in G series laptops.

m3rcer wrote:
Not sure if putting the blu-ray does void the warranty either, but it really shouldn't. I did it, and it only took minutes to do. One mounting screw under the main panel, transfer the bracket to the new drive, replace the bezel, reinstall. Real easy.

jdog1473 wrote:
the blu ray drive is a super easy install. I highly doubt it would void your warranty....one screw to slide it out.

I did mine in about 3 minutes...

Hey guys i need a help from you guys.Mine is coming with a Blu Ray rom but i want to replace it with a Burner which i have already purchased.LG BT20N.

Could you guys who have done it Please show me how to do it ? A clear picture of what to do would be highly appreciated. 🙂

Waiting for your reply.

Thank You. 🙂