Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW cooling performance & gpu temp

skyrider
Level 8
Hi, i've just gotten my hands on the G55VW yesterday
and I was trying to compare the performance of this machine to my previous rig
by running GTA 4 on it.

Now my previous model was the G51JX, which ran MUCH hotter than any of the later G series
(it was before the huge cooling solution was implemented)
When I play GTA 4 it would often reach up to temperatures nearing 100 degrees Celsius (for most games actually)
So I was curious as to see what the highest temp. mark would be with this machine (GPU temp strictly)

From what I have read on the internet so far I did not expect the temperature to exceed beyond 70 degrees,
maybe low 70s at max. However after prolonged playing I've found that the GPU temp had reached a whooping 80 degrees

Now I'm not exactly complaining about the cooling solution; it keeps the computer really cool at relatively silent fan noise level. (compared to my previous laptop anyway) I was just wondering if this kind of temperature was normal for the G55VW under heavy gaming load, to see if mine had any defects in it by any chance. Did anyone have similar experiences when running heavy load games? If so, how high was your GPU temp?

Thanks in advance!
21 REPLIES 21

plsmilkme
Level 7
For me about 65 degrees Celcius from running Tera on high settings.

Fans get quite loud at that point.

Guido7142
Level 7
I have the G75, and I did not exceed the 67 C even when max overclocked... I know they have different cooling systems, but such difference is huge. Check if our fans are working properly, check if cooling vents are clean and not obstructed, check everything, 100 C is not good. I have the 660m, which GPU do you have ?
G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M

I've read that the 660 runs A LOT cooler then the 670, so with his temps I'd gather he has the 670.

Guido7142
Level 7
Maybe 670m and G55 are a combination of both more heat characteristics and this is why he reaches 100 C. In either way, I would do some research since that are very high temps. Maybe check playing with your back cover out and let it ventilate a bit more.
G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M

hey guys sorry for the confusion lol
the 100 degrees is what i've observed when using the G51JX, my previous laptop

with the G55VW the maximum temperature i've reached is 80 degrees
also i have the 660m, i do not believe there is a 670m variant for the G55 series (as far as i know)

skyrider wrote:

also i have the 660m, i do not believe there is a 670m variant for the G55 series (as far as i know)

yup, you r right, got no 670m variant for the g55

skyrider wrote:

yup, you r right, got no 670m variant for the g55

I also have a G55. while playing games i ran hardware monitor on the background. later i found that the max
temperature for the GPU is also around 80C.

I've also overclocked my graphic card. Could this be a problem with the fans since i've never actually heard them running at full speed

hey guys i just ran furmark 1.10.1 on my G55VW using the burn-in test at 1920 x 1080 for 15 min

i got 1089 for my burn-score and the highest temp was 80 degrees

all this was done under P4G high performance setting, (i've changed it a bit from the default setting so that it will shift back and froth from 80~100% instead of staying at 100% all the time)

and i did not OC the gpu either. (Although according to EVGA precision, this 660m card apparently has a boost feature that boosts the core clock up to around 930 under demand..i am assuming this goes for all 660m cards)

anyways is this result considered normal?