cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just ordered a new Asus G75SW

JednaPiroga
Level 7
Correction G75VW

Hi again dudes and dudettes. I don't know if some of you read my old thread regarding my broken G53SX.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15239-Asus-G53SX

The repairshop took a look at it and told me it was the graphics card, they wanted to charge 450€ for it, which i think is not worth it, so I ordered a new one because I am quite satisfied with the Asus Gaming Laptops, as it is my desktop replacement.

This time I went for a 17.3" G75
Specs are following:

- 17,3-Inch Full-HD-screen
- Intel Core i7-3610QM Ivy Bridge
- 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
- 750 GB HDD
- GeForce GTX660M 2GB

I will also be using my Corsair F60 SSD as a Windows disk.(Later on upgrading to a bigger one)

So I have couple of questions regarding the G75.

1. Pros & Cons
2. Why isnt there any drivers for GTX660m????
3. How many RAM ports are there? My G53sx had only 2.
4. How is the Keyboard, on the G53 it honestly sucked big time.
5. Does the G75 support SATA6.0gb?

I can't wait for the computer to arrive, at the moment im using my 6 year old Fujitus Siemens 1.6 celeron with 1gb ram.:mad:
Asus G75VW-T1019V
CPU Intel Core i7-3610QM
GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M 2GB
RAM 16 GB 1600mhz
HDD SSD Corsair F60 60gb + 750gb HDD 7200rpm
MONITOR 1920x1080 Matte finish
EXTERNAL SOUND CARD Creative Go
35 REPLIES 35

john_from_ohio
Level 11
JednaPiroga wrote:
Hi again dudes and dudettes.

So I have couple of questions regarding the G75.

1. Pros & Cons
2. Why isnt there any drivers for GTX660m????
3. How many RAM ports are there? My G53sx had only 2.
4. How is the Keyboard, on the G53 it honestly sucked big time.
5. Does the G75 support SATA6.0gb?

Not many cons ... we are waiting for asus to deliver a driver fix for the subwoofer config problem. At the moment you can either set the volume level for it static and then change it repeatedly as one is changing the overall volume ... or uninstall the via drivers and just default to windows driver ( which does not use subwoofer at all ). Not a big issue for many who use a separate sound system and/or headphones.

The video card is relatively new and updated drivers will be out eventually. My system runs just fine with the latest video driver for it from asus support site.

There are 4 ram sockets two of them already populated on your system but hard to get to without total taking apart ( and voiding warranty apparently ). Most of us are sticking in 2 more 4 gb 1600 chips to go up to 16 gb RAM which runs dual path.

Keyboard is nice and touch pad also very nice ( but I use external mouse and disable touchpad when external device connected ).

Yes it is all SATA III and supports all the latest SSD drives. If your old SSD is not ... might want a different choice in new SSD!

Read carefully through 4 pages of this forum.
You will quickly see the balance of pros and cons.
My G75 arrived with the case open, screen bezel loose and warped, no sound and completely non-functional video and screen.
I don't seem to be alone, just read the forums for what you have to look forward to ...
Good luck.

AmazingFactory wrote:
My G75 arrived with the case open, screen bezel loose and warped, no sound and completely non-functional video and screen.

You ordered it from a retailer for shipment overseas that apparently charges more than market pricing and apparently also does not check the equipment it ships out like that.

Just order the HP that you think is better and take a deep breath and return your machine. I have a feeling that if you are polite and negotiate properly and do not use the attitude that the world is mis treating you perhaps the company you purchased your machine might even refund your shipping costs.

On the other hand if you try to keep this as some kind of personal crusade it may not get you into a happy place.

You (still) haven't provided a link showing a retailer with a G75VW-DS71 in stock at less than $1739

The retailer delivered a FACTORY SEALED (eg. new) unit from ASUS.

Stop trying to redirect the blame to me and the retailer ... the problem is with ASUS alone.

AmazingFactory wrote:
You (still) haven't provided a link showing a retailer with a G75VW-DS71 in stock at less than $1739

The retailer delivered a FACTORY SEALED (eg. new) unit from ASUS.

Stop trying to redirect the blame to me and the retailer ... the problem is with ASUS alone.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G75VW-DS71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B007Z92SKE for 60 dollars more look all the trouble it could have saved you 😄
When I look at the ECG and see the patient crashing I remember all my training with Windows and just restart his Heart.

john_from_ohio wrote:
Not many cons ... we are waiting for asus to deliver a driver fix for the subwoofer config problem. At the moment you can either set the volume level for it static and then change it repeatedly as one is changing the overall volume ... or uninstall the via drivers and just default to windows driver ( which does not use subwoofer at all ). Not a big issue for many who use a separate sound system and/or headphones.

The video card is relatively new and updated drivers will be out eventually. My system runs just fine with the latest video driver for it from asus support site.

There are 4 ram sockets two of them already populated on your system but hard to get to without total taking apart ( and voiding warranty apparently ). Most of us are sticking in 2 more 4 gb 1600 chips to go up to 16 gb RAM which runs dual path.

Keyboard is nice and touch pad also very nice ( but I use external mouse and disable touchpad when external device connected ).

Yes it is all SATA III and supports all the latest SSD drives. If your old SSD is not ... might want a different choice in new SSD!

Thank you John from Ohio 🙂 So i guess its just like with my G53 regarding the ram, they have populated the one that is accecible..
I now have a F60 Force Series SSD it has like 280read 275write, it is fairly good, but in near future I will upgrade to an 6.0gb/s 120gb.

AmazingFactory wrote:
Read carefully through 4 pages of this forum.
You will quickly see the balance of pros and cons.
I don't seem to be alone, just read the forums for what you have to look forward to ...
Good luck.

AmazingFactory, hoenstly I have had tons of laptops, both from my job, school and my private ones, they all have some kind of issues, the only brand that is really good quality wise is Lenovo/IBM but they dont have gaming laptops.

I am otherwise happy with Asus laptops. They feel good, looks good and performes good. I also got a discount from my job to buy one. I got the G75 for aprox. 1000$

Brian_ROG wrote:
First, Congratulations on your G75 purchase! I believe you made a great choice for a gaming laptop! I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and it's pretty amazing! All my friends who see it are like " what is that beast" which then makes me laugh.

As stated by John, the only issue really is the subwoofer, which I'm hoping a fix will come soon. Everything else in my opinion is working beautifully. I've been only playing shogun 2 so far and it's again beautiful on highest settings.

AmazingFactory, I totally understand your frustrations to receiving a broken G75, I too would be upset. But that is why retailers have exchange policies in place, and why you are given a warranty, 1 or 2 years from Asus.
I have had many computers over the years, dell, HP, Alienware, gateway, etc...and I had to ship back 2 of these (Delll and HP) due to issues. It happens with any manufacturer.

Like Jsl1ce said, they are all made in china! There's bound to be some broken ones! It sucks that it happend to you but you need to try and move on and get over it! Life Happens! Don't be miserable!

Brian_ROG thank you for your answer, I was just hoping for the G75 to be a little better than the G53sx i've had, the keyboard on that machine was awful, the trackpad had that famous glitch(the aluminium tape issue)

And guys sorry for my English, It's not my 1st language so to speak.
Asus G75VW-T1019V
CPU Intel Core i7-3610QM
GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M 2GB
RAM 16 GB 1600mhz
HDD SSD Corsair F60 60gb + 750gb HDD 7200rpm
MONITOR 1920x1080 Matte finish
EXTERNAL SOUND CARD Creative Go

JednaPiroga wrote:
Thank you John from Ohio 🙂 So i guess its just like with my G53 regarding the ram, they have populated the one that is accecible..
I now have a F60 Force Series SSD it has like 280read 275write, it is fairly good, but in near future I will upgrade to an 6.0gb/s 120gb.

AmazingFactory, hoenstly I have had tons of laptops, both from my job, school and my private ones, they all have some kind of issues, the only brand that is really good quality wise is Lenovo/IBM but they dont have gaming laptops.

I am otherwise happy with Asus laptops. They feel good, looks good and performes good. I also got a discount from my job to buy one. I got the G75 for aprox. 1000$

Brian_ROG thank you for your answer, I was just hoping for the G75 to be a little better than the G53sx i've had, the keyboard on that machine was awful, the trackpad had that famous glitch(the aluminium tape issue)

And guys sorry for my English, It's not my 1st language so to speak.

congratz on your g75..asus had released an audio driver that fix all the audio problem fir the G55...soon they will release one for the G75 too.

Hello Guys,
Nice to read all of your statement here, actually I'm still in delima .. on buying this Asus G75VW .. is it worth buying ... because I'm just a moderate gamers .. thinking on buying MSI also but Asus G75VW catch my eyes .. like it very much .. more stylies & elegent looks ...

I do have my Mac Book pro but it's not a gaming laptop so .. I need one for gaming purposes & also can do others related to my job also ...

sorry for my english since it's not my everyday language .. hehehee:cool:

so .. now I'm still searching & reading .. until i made my mine either to buy Asus G75VW or not ...

Cheers

Joejam701 wrote:
Hello Guys,
Nice to read all of your statement here, actually I'm still in delima .. on buying this Asus G75VW .. is it worth buying ... because I'm just a moderate gamers .. thinking on buying MSI also but Asus G75VW catch my eyes .. like it very much .. more stylies & elegent looks ...

I do have my Mac Book pro but it's not a gaming laptop so .. I need one for gaming purposes & also can do others related to my job also ...

sorry for my english since it's not my everyday language .. hehehee:cool:

so .. now I'm still searching & reading .. until i made my mine either to buy Asus G75VW or not ...

Cheers

IF YOU r a moderate gamer, why not you get the g55 instead of the g75,..it is cheaper and also considered a very powerful gaming laptop..you can save some money 🙂