cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD vs Intel for gaming.

camosniper00
Level 7
Hello,
I am looking to build a rig, but I am trying to cut back on costs a bit and I am wondering wether Intel or AMD is better for my gaming performance. It has two nVidia GTX 670s in SLI and and 16 GB of RAM. I am not cutting back on those. 😄😄
10 REPLIES 10

kkn
Level 14
if you want the full advantage of the 670 go intel ( its pcie v3.0 on the newest boards )
but amd is cheeper, but only suports v2.0 as of now, until new chip comes out end of year or next year.
state where you are from so others know so they know what sort of online stores they can sugest for you. ( country )

kkn wrote:
if you want the full advantage of the 670 go intel ( its pcie v3.0 on the newest boards )
but amd is cheeper, but only suports v2.0 as of now, until new chip comes out end of year or next year.
state where you are from so others know so they know what sort of online stores they can sugest for you. ( country )

Depends on how much floating-point performance matters to you. If floating point is important, its go Intel or go home. Don't want to start a flame-war here, guys, but Intel's FPU performance makes it the standard for engineering. If the games you play don't hit the FPU (floating-point unit) hard, then I would say either is a fine choice. Personally, I have a bias for Intel, but that's due to the work I do. 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

The gaming I will be doing is Skyrim, Crysis, GMOD, HL2, and various other games. I am just looking for the best gaming performance for about $2,300~

Zka17
Level 16
Yeah, I think too, for a SLI setup (specially PCIE 3.0) you should go with Intel... I would at least... :cool:

Thank you! 😄 I currently live in California, so suggest away!

Homiestar
Level 8
Newegg is a good site to shop from, or there's Tiger direct, but keep in mind that newegg charges sales tax for california folk! I don't know about tiger though
Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Motherboard - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - FX-8150 3.6GHz ( OC'd to 5.4)
CPU Cooler - Corsair H70 (2 gentle typhoon fans)
GPU - ASUS Radeon 6850 HD 1GB
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw X series (2x4gb) 1600 (OC'd to 1725)
PSU - Seasonic 860w platinum
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500gb
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB
OS - Win. 8 Pro 64 bit

HiVizMan
Level 40
At your price range you will end up with a very high end system.

In my view the best value for money power CPU for gamers is still the 2500K CPU and any compatible motherboard. Use the bulk of your spend on the graphic card. A 2500K will clock to 4.4GHz on all air coolers with no problem. You do not need more CPU power than that for any game that I am aware of.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
At your price range you will end up with a very high end system.

In my view the best value for money power CPU for gamers is still the 2500K CPU and any compatible motherboard. Use the bulk of your spend on the graphic card. A 2500K will clock to 4.4GHz on all air coolers with no problem. You do not need more CPU power than that for any game that I am aware of.

Excellent advice, as always, @HiViz, though with the newer Ivy Bridge CPUs out, the i7-2600K CPU is now pretty cheap ~$200. That is another CPU to look at, but considering the price range that you expect to spend, don't bother with AMD, their best CPUs are only about equivalent to a 2600K-2700K from Intel. Then again, their prices are only a little above a mid-range i7 at the max. I have heard of people getting 5 GHz on air with the i7 2600K, though they had after-market coolers--which you should probably buy.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

RazorCat
Level 10
certainly agree with sir HiVizMan.... Go intel... 2500k... 😄
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H