cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop fan not running fast enough, Laptop slowly getting hotter since i first got it

Sleekman
Level 7
Alright guys, I need your assistance. I have looked far and wide to find any software that could get my laptop fan to run faster.
I have the G74Sx. When i first got it the maximum temp the GPU would reach is 60 C. After almost 6 months of a=owning it, the max temp is now 75 C. But recently its been getting so hot that the Graphics turn off and the laptop has to be force shut down. After the screen turns off the fans blow at 100% speed. (I think that is 100%, it is loud as hell.) No overclocking of the gpu has been going on. I cannot afford cooling mats. Is there any program to up my fan speed? Also, the minimum temp was 36 C, now its 45 C. I feel that it may get so hot it could damage the laptop permanently.
9 REPLIES 9

Zygomorphic
Level 17
The idle temps aren't bad at all. 45 C is what my G53SX has been running at idle. Besides, don't bother with the chillmats, they don't help the ROG notebooks. I have one, and the idle temperatures do not change with and without the fan running. The ROG notebooks draw their air in through that giant speaker grill under the screen. My advice is to try and disassemble the computer and blow out the fans. The G55/G75 notebooks apparently made the fans accessible since so many people have to do it. Do you smoke or have pets by any chance? Either that, or is your house dusty? Those are the primary culprits. Rather than treating the symptoms, the best thing to do is treat the disease.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

dstrakele
Level 14
Have you ever blown out your fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas? That may bring your temps back to normal.

Do your unexpected shutdowns occur only when playing Diablo 3?

What version video driver are you currently running? Some have reported specific versions cause their laptop to run hotter.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thanks guys. Ill give it a shot, and no It has not shut off on dieblo 3. But i think it was because i had my laptop lid closed and was playing on my 27" screen plugged into my laptop. Ill report back with any news after im done.

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
Level 7
I often hook up my 46" LCD to my laptop. Runs fine. Can of air duster otherwise you will have to have it completely disassembled 😞
ASUS g74SX-XT1

Thanks so much guys! I couldnt take off the under side for some reason, but it does not matter, idle temp back to 35 C again! 🙂
+Rep to all who helped and suggested the clogged airway idea 🙂

Sleekman wrote:
Thanks so much guys! I couldnt take off the under side for some reason, but it does not matter, idle temp back to 35 C again! 🙂
+Rep to all who helped and suggested the clogged airway idea 🙂

Glad to know it helped! The way to add rep is to click on the little star next to the post of interest, on the left-hand side under the poster's post count. Follow the instructions from there. Yes, closing the lid on the ROG notebooks is pretty similar to gaming on a quilt with any other vendor's notebook. 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

dstrakele
Level 14
There is actually an unexpected shutdown issue related to having the laptop lid closed when using an external monitor. It is noteworthy this issue is NOT caused by high temperatures.

I'll see if I can find the reference. In the meantime, keeping the laptop lid open may be a workaround.

EDIT: Here's a reference - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/638720-g73jh-hibernating-issues-2.html

Well it does not go into hibernate, the whole computer just turns off the graphics and the fan ran at 100% speed. When i normally send the comp into hibernate it does not send the fan speeds skyrocketing. But it does not do it anymore, due to the temperature problem being fixed. And second i Own a G74 not a G73. But thanks anyways 🙂

dstrakele
Level 14
It could be a Windows 7 power management issue that spans not only G Series model#'s, but other brands of Windows laptops... Temperature monitoring indicates this particular issue is not thermal-related.

Another possibility is the closed lid blocks the fan intakes enough to allow the laptop to overheat when stressing the computer by gaming.

See if the issue occurs with the lid open. Whaddayagottalose?