SixStringSamurai

Unhappy Another Please OMG help me Thread

Ok, so I bought this board on the 18th of Feb. via newegg.com. I am using the following hardware:

Antec DF-85
    Intel i7 960 3.20 Ghz 8MB cache 130w (4 cores/8 heads)
    2 x MSI N450GTS Cyclone 1GD5/OC GTS 450 (Fermi) PCIe 2.0
    12 GB 240pin DDR3 SDRAM Triple CH (1600 / PC3 12800 8-8-8-24 OTB) 6 x 2GB sticks
    Antec EarthWatts EA750W/ATX 12V/2.3 SLI / 80 plus cert.
    G.Skill Phoenix Pro 60 GB SATA II 2.5" SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA II (3.0gb/s) 3.5 1.5TB HD
    " " " " " " 500GB HD
    ASUS SATA DVD-ROM Drive (48x)

Additionally, I have access to a ASUS BLU-Ray external
    Patriot XT 16 GB USB2.0 Thumb Drive
    Windows 7 32/64 Ultimate Full Retail

My problem other then the fact that I neglected to include a VGA card, is that I was exploring ROG Connect and all though I get reads on all the info it presents I try to flash the bios for the arrival of a card with VGA and no matter where I download it from or what version 4xxx/5xxx I get "Incorrect Bios" yet I'm guessing that from the Install CD having only the version 4 Bios listed it must have this or lower. Neither BIOS chips will flash. Board shows no errors in the Q-LEDs.

Side note: What is the best way to go about installing all my equipment? All at once or step it up (ie 1 hard drive, 1 vid card, # of ram sticks, etc.)?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Have you tried the Windows ASUS Update Utility? It can automatically download the appropriate BIOS from the internet for you.

As to install, I'm confused. You are talking about failed BIOS flashes which would indicate that the computer is already built but you're asking how to build it? Regardless, I find that modern parts are harder to install incorrectly so I always put everything together and only revert to step by step if there is a problem.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

SixStringSamurai
    the problem is that flashing the bios isnt working with any bios. I have not been able to access the bios on anything other then ROG Connect. I have it together built right now minus 1 hard drive that has yet to arrive. The issue as far as assembly is was I right in put the whole thing together at one time or doing it with bare minimum then working up to the final setup (ie I have all 6 sticks of DDR3 in to start with, all the hard drives or a specific boot drive).

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

If you have it all built except for the drive and it's working then I say just leave it together and add the drive when you get it, no need to take it back apart. The items connected won't have any bearing on whether the BIOS will appear as compatible.

This may seem silly but have you confirmed that the board you have is in fact a R3F? There's always a chance that something got switched before you got it so check the printing on the board so you know that the BIOS you are updating is really for the board that you have.

I gather that since you're only using ROG Connect you don't have a monitor that supports DVI? Once you get your card with VGA then I would go into the BIOS and try updating from a flash drive with the utility there(note that the flash drive should be plugged in BEFORE you boot). I'm not sure if Connect may be causing part of the problem for your upgrade so eliminating that as a potential fail point might allow you to get it done. You won't need to update the BIOS before you get the card anyway so I would just wait until then.

Oh and one last thing: it sounds like you've already purchased another card but you could just use an adapter like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814998028

SixStringSamurai
    No I have a monitor that supports VGA/HDMI/DVI. I have 2 of those adapters and its not sending a signal out of my cards in DVI with the adapters. Will check the Motherboard. Again it is not working but after going through ASUS's Tech support one of the probable causes was a VGA ready card since I do not have an OS installed nor drivers for said video cards installed.

SixStringSamurai
    Its stamped Rampage III formula v 1.01 has heat shield on the lower portion with ASUS logo and Another smaller one amongst the heatsinks around the chipset with R.O.G.

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

Not working with DVI output to a DVI monitor and won't accept a flash? Sounds like tech support is doing some wishful thinking making you buy a native VGA card. I'd make THEM pay for the old card if I thought there was a possibility of collecting. The tech support rep you got was either inept or stalling. The output connector doesn't matter, only the video mode, and all modern cards still support VGA mode (even with DVI connected) for the very reason that you need to access a VGA BIOS. I'm betting you've got a DOA board now that I understand what you're saying. Sorry