cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus N71J CPU overheating

Retired
Not applicable
Not sure where else I would post this topic but just recently I've downloaded a cpu temperature monitoring program (CoreTemp) and I'm very surprised to see that my Core temps are exceeding 90 degrees celsius under load. What do I need to do to remedy this problem? I bought my ASUS N71J laptop back in March 2010 from newegg.com is this going to be something that I need to send my laptop in for?

Core Temp temperatures are as follows:
Core #0: 93 degrees C
Core #1: 86 degrees C
Core #2: 88 degrees C
Core #4: 88 degrees C

These were all taken while running Dead Space 2. I believe the temperatures could have increased even more but I shut the game down upon exceeding 90 degrees. What exactly am I looking at here? I have no experience with notebooks but I have rebuilt several desktops. I dont think it would be a good idea to start taking the notebook apart myself and trying to apply more thermal paste or something. Can I get some suggestions? Thanks

This is the exact Asus Notebook I have
Intel i7-720QM Cpu

The laptop was purchased around March or April 2010 from newegg.com. It was only out of curiosity that I decided to check the temperature of the Cpu I have not noticed any hiccups or issues when gaming and I've had the laptop for almost a year now. Now I'm not sure if I should stop playing all together until the issue is resolved because these temperatures from what I'm reading will cause hardware failure.

On a slightly different note, my GPU temperature was reading in excess of 85 degrees celsius under load. I've not looked into the operational temperatures of the ATI 5730 is that temperature something I should be concerned with as well?

Would something like this work for my problems or is this cooler not gaming oriented? I see mixed comments on the feedback section about it, someone with a gaming laptop was claiming it wasn't lowering temps at all. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998686
Its kind of disappointing though knowing that without running external gear I have the risk of losing my laptop. I would much prefer a more permanent fix if any.
1 REPLY 1

Retired
Not applicable
i would get a nice notebook cooler. the link you have should work fine. your temps are within the threshold of working operations and in game, those temps are pretty normal. the n series doesnt have the most advanced cooling like the G series which features the i720. they do run pretty hot.